bird flu

25yrvet

Sorry to ask such a gloom & doom question but, does anyone know if ups has any plans for if/when the bird flu hits North America? Having been around the block a couple times I can imagine the answers I'd get if I asked my ctr mgr or dist mgr.
What about any local unions out there that have been proactive enough to think of such an episode?

Hangingon

Maybe UPS will have to think of a new Holiday bonus besides that stupid turkey the week after Thanksgiving. I swear ours are so small now that they almost qualify for the letter rate if I wanted to send it somewhere.

ja4079

ja4079
If you don't want the turkey give it away, I'm sure there are food drives in your area that would jump at the chance to have another turkey. Our have always been great and the size has not changed in many years. Sounds like you just want to complain nothing and would make you happy. Eat it for Christmas if you don't get it in time for Thanksgiving.

Hangingon

Same size? You must be in a different area then us, the average last year (and yes we weighed about 10 to check, it was a slow night) was 5.4 pounds. I can't think of anyone who'd rather get the bird then the supposed 25 dollars (which is what our manager says it costs per bird). Sounds like you are just happy with whatever you can get from brown.

tieguy

Banned
Hangingon said:
Maybe UPS will have to think of a new Holiday bonus besides that stupid turkey the week after Thanksgiving. I swear ours are so small now that they almost qualify for the letter rate if I wanted to send it somewhere.

you should donate your stupid turkey to charity so that it can feed someone who would be gratefull to have it.

tieguy

Banned
Hangingon said:
Same size? You must be in a different area then us, the average last year (and yes we weighed about 10 to check, it was a slow night) was 5.4 pounds. I can't think of anyone who'd rather get the bird then the supposed 25 dollars (which is what our manager says it costs per bird). Sounds like you are just happy with whatever you can get from brown.

I don't think I have ever seen a 5.4 pound turkey? Was it boneless?

Ours averaged about 15 pounds.

tieguy

Banned
part of the problem with the avian flu and other scientific issues such as global warming is you have scientists trying gain lucrative government research contracts who over emphasize the threat from these events. The threat from the bird flu would come if the flu successfully made the leap to humans. My understanding is that has not happened.

ja4079

ja4079
Seems like the tag on the turkey said 15 lbs, I don't expect anything from anyone but when someone gives me something I do appreciate it. Sounds like you expect them to it all for you.

oko

I hope our goverment has plenty of Tamiflu. After watching Dateline last night, my opinion has changed and I think it could be a threat. Maybe I should start to stockpile food and water.

A

Anonymous patriot

tieguy said:
The threat from the bird flu would come if the flu successfully made the leap to humans. My understanding is that has not happened.

As long as Rumsfeld has a stake in the sales of the vacine you can rest assured we will have an epidemic. His scientists are working night and day to develop a strain that will transfer to humans.

S

speeddemon

25yrvet said:
Sorry to ask such a gloom & doom question but, does anyone know if ups has any plans for if/when the bird flu hits North America? Having been around the block a couple times I can imagine the answers I'd get if I asked my ctr mgr or dist mgr.
What about any local unions out there that have been proactive enough to think of such an episode?

You can bet your @$$, well be working in it.