Bitcoin/Ethereum/cryptocurrencies

El Correcto

god is dead
Same thing that gives the dollar value except bitcoin can’t be printed endlessly
That argument just doesn’t really vibe with me.
I don’t know enough about the US dollar and I’m not an expert on bitcoin. So I really can’t argue with y’all.

The main value I saw in it was trading for illicit goods on the internet anonymously.

El Correcto

god is dead
I know fear and greed are the two most motivating factors when it comes to investing.
When I see bitcoin and speak with people about it, it just sets off the alarm bells that make me walk away. They say fortune favors the brave, I’m happy for anyone who can stomach those bitcoin swings, today they are winning for sure.

rickyb

I know fear and greed are the two most motivating factors when it comes to investing.
When I see bitcoin and speak with people about it, it just sets off the alarm bells that make me walk away. They say fortune favors the brave, I’m happy for anyone who can stomach those bitcoin swings, today they are winning for sure.
its best performing asset for 10 years...

El Correcto

god is dead
its best performing asset for 10 years...
It’s so volatile though.
Long term minded investors that throw 1% of their portfolio in it thinking it’s a neat idea or purely just speculative sure. They won’t be sweating it at all.

But it just looks like a giant bubble machine to me that’s growth is fueled by short term pump and dump investing schemes and the faith that they will happen again and this time you will profit.

Maybe thats the true faith backing bitcoin and what has caused it, to even at its lowest point during covid $5,000ish, continue appreciating even it’s bottom swings supported by long term investors attracted to its notoriety and people who have faith in blockchain as an idea for currency.

rickyb

It’s so volatile though.
Long term minded investors that throw 1% of their portfolio in it thinking it’s a neat idea or purely just speculative sure. They won’t be sweating it at all.

But it just looks like a giant bubble machine to me that’s growth is fueled by short term pump and dump investing schemes and the faith that they will happen again and this time you will profit.

Maybe thats the true faith backing bitcoin and what has caused it, to even at its lowest point during covid $5,000ish, continue appreciating even it’s bottom swings supported by long term investors attracted to its notoriety and people who have faith in blockchain as an idea for currency.
yea who knows how much it could go down maybe sub 10k i have no idea.

El Correcto

god is dead
yea who knows how much it could go down maybe sub 10k i have no idea.
I just don’t have faith in blockchain to compete with the governments ability to control our currency. I don’t see them ever letting that happen. It’s main reason I don’t even invest a little bit in it long term.

rickyb

I just don’t have faith in blockchain to compete with the governments ability to control our currency. I don’t see them ever letting that happen. It’s main reason I don’t even invest a little bit in it long term.
richard wolff and chomsky had same opinion. ill probably gamble in the future and hold on.

El Correcto

god is dead
I always like those shows where the lottery winners tell their stories. I hope to see some crazed loony libertarian never trust the government types get rich as :censored2: off bitcoin to the point they can influence our politics.

Macbrother

Buying an asset because you hope you can sell it for more, later: Speculation
Buying an asset to get a share of future profits: Investment.

I tend to stick with the latter, though I can't deny the feeling of FOMO when others get fabulously wealthy. People smarter than me are convinced it will be double the market value of gold in 10 years (i.e., $1 million+ per bitcoin), also people smarter than me are convinced it will go the way of tulip mania. Anyone have a crystal ball laying around?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

I tend to stick with the latter, though I can't deny the feeling of FOMO when others get fabulously wealthy. People smarter than me are convinced it will be double the market value of gold in 10 years (i.e., $1 million+ per bitcoin), also people smarter than me are convinced it will go the way of tulip mania. Anyone have a crystal ball laying around?
Consider this.

The current mean TX fee for BTC is over 12 dollars.
Can you imagine if your debit card charged you 12 bucks every time you used it?

Bitcoin takes roughly 15 minutes to confirm assuming your transaction is included in the next block.
Your debit card? Roughly a couple seconds.

Bitcoin gets congested, and has a hard time doing more than 5 transactions per second.
Visa can run 65K transactions in a second.

This sort of thing has me convinced that the only real argument for bitcoin right now is the "digital gold" store of value.
EXCEPT. It's open source.
Anyone can clone bitcoin, and create an identical crypto at any time and for any reason.
So with regards to that, the only thing it has going for it is name brand recognition.

There is definitely a use case for crypto.
But I think what we are seeing right now is the worlds most massive pump and dump scheme in history.

rickyb

probably goes higher. just give it time. im not buying now.