Black Friday

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whats everyone's guess on the volume for Black Friday? I understand we've delivered air in the past but this BF will also be ground.

Ya think a light day overall or something close to normal?

I think it will be a fairly busy day. In the past, whatever ground that was in the system on Wednesday was held and added to whatever volume was picked up on Friday to make for a very busy Monday. Working Black Friday should lessen the blow on Monday, although we are also making pickups so maybe it will be just as busy as last year.

guccimane96

Suck it up and go to work. I don't know how seriously you take this job...but if this will be a yearly occurrence, management will notice. Just quit now and make room for someone who is really dedicated.

I take my job very seriously, it's how I pay for school. I was just curious about how black friday worked because if I get the chance to have family time I'll take it. Don't bother answering if you're going to be a d*ck about it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I take my job very seriously, it's how I pay for school. I was just curious about how black friday worked because if I get the chance to have family time I'll take it. Don't bother answering if you're going to be a d*ck about it.
You're been here 2 months...you're working....have fun!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our most senior driver told me this morning that he has already informed mgt that he will not be working. I'll be curious too see if he follows through and if mgt does not pay him for both holidays.

9.5er

Funny thing is today I noticed several signs at businesses saying they would be closed Thurs. and Fri. for Thanksgiving. There will be lots of send agains.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
It's going to be Green Friday from now on. I plan on working extremely save with flawless methods.
What he said! Only this will be the last Black (Green) Friday I will ever work. Thanksgiving week was the first week I bid for next year's vacations and I plan on taking that week off until I retire. I'm glad I'll be gone before this contract is up because I wouldn't put it past UPS to try to remove that week from the available vacation bids on the next contract.

PT Car Washer

What he said! Only this will be the last Black (Green) Friday I will ever work. Thanksgiving week was the first week I bid for next year's vacations and I plan on taking that week off until I retire. I'm glad I'll be gone before this contract is up because I wouldn't put it past UPS to try to remove that week from the available vacation bids on the next contract.
Several of the Air exception drivers have taken Thanksgiving week off for many years as UPS always forced us to work. Work Friday and then come in for Saturday Air was not much time off. And all for straight time plus Holiday.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I take that week every year and you won't regret it. Its coming up ,can't wait.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
This may be a silly question but does our rate go up if we work more than eight hours at double time?
Here we get holiday pay + time & a half on holidays (like veteran's day and black friday). After 10 hours we get "golden time" which is 1.5x the overtime rate (2 1/4x regular rate).

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Our most senior driver told me this morning that he has already informed mgt that he will not be working. I'll be curious too see if he follows through and if mgt does not pay him for both holidays.
I didn't check your supp, but here you just have to work on one day during that holiday week to get the holiday pay.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Funny thing is today I noticed several signs at businesses saying they would be closed Thurs. and Fri. for Thanksgiving. There will be lots of send agains.
If it's a place that you know is going to have big heavy crap or bulk stops you don't feel like having in your truck all day, I'd just give a list to your dispatch sup and have them mark them as known close.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you been writing these addresses down so that you can turn in a Black Friday Closed list to your PDS? This will let him/her tag them as closed in the system and will make it easier for all involved.

So far the only major stop that I have closed is Walmart (dock only----inside deliveries open). Our local college had the option of being open or closed but will open just long enough for us to make our delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can bet that Thanksgiving week will be closed for vacations starting in 2018.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't check your supp, but here you just have to work on one day during that holiday week to get the holiday pay.

We have to work both the day before and after unless already scheduled for the day off.

OTS posted a letter from corporate stating that UPS will not pay holiday pay to anyone who "bangs in" on Black Friday, regardless of whether they worked on Wednesday or not.

9.5er

Have you been writing these addresses down so that you can turn in a Black Friday Closed list to your PDS? This will let him/her tag them as closed in the system and will make it easier for all involved.

So far the only major stop that I have closed is Walmart (dock only----inside deliveries open). Our local college had the option of being open or closed but will open just long enough for us to make our delivery.

Nope. I'm a cover driver. No telling what route I'll be on by then. The bid driver can make his own list. I'm sure it is not the right attitude but.... Bah humbug.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nope. I'm a cover driver. No telling what route I'll be on by then. The bid driver can make his own list. I'm sure it is not the right attitude but.... Bah humbug.

So you would rather waste your time sheeting 50-100 packages (or more) as CLO-H?

On a somewhat related note, Walmart has decided to try to reduce the insanity of Black Friday by extending it to an entire week. They will be offering Black Friday specials throughout Thanksgiving week. I know that Amazon will be doing something similar and have to wonder if other major retailers will follow suit.