Bout that time...

UPSmeoff

that i start collecting my well earned cabbage. Besides C notes the best gifts are the ones that come in purple velvet bags and the ones that have red wax melted over the top.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not to pick on you, but you didnt earn it, it is a gift. Treat it as such. A gift from someone that appriciates what you do throughout the year. Unlike UPS they dont owe you a darn thing.

It is the attitude that your post comes off with that cheapens the gift and the giver.

d

UPSmeoff

Whatever...
I treat each and every one of my customers the same.

If one of them wants to reward me with a gift...so be it.
I will go above and beyond the call of duty the next time they need anything.
My original thread was not meant to make people think im a money grubbing whore,....
just that i enjoy it when people appreciate me, be it monetary or otherwise.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
I don't want to get into a word war with you danny, but I found your response to a simple statement negative, judgemental and offensive and I am sure at least UPSmeoff did as well.

I would also disagree that it is an unearned gift.

Though some businesses consider a Christmas tip perfunctorily or traditional, the majority give it because they appreciate the personal service of the individual service provider involved.

Although certainly not manditory, that makes it earned, rather than unearned.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
OK

To be as clever as you are, you should know that a gift can not be earned, only a wage. And UPS pays and pays well for what they expect their drivers to do. Going out and above expectations is what the UPS driver is all about. But of course, being employed inside, you would not know about that?

Wages for what you do is what you agree to do the job for. The gift that the customer gives is what they think of you and the job you have done. It also depends on the giver as to what they can afford. To some, a box of home made cookies is a greater gift than the $100 dollars mentioned, and it cost them more in non disposable cash than the money from the other customer.

In trying to be cool or what ever, he has come off as not appreciative of what the customers give. And that is what receiving gifts is all about. And the title of the thread give much insight as to his real personality, or the intent of his post. Its about that time. Really! Like they owe you a gift?

And until you bring up starting a war, these are just my thoughts, not a "war" which you seem to want to start, or accuse others of starting with you.

d

UPSmeoff

Thanks for the support clever.
I had no idea that this thread would offend anyone.
Im just trying to have some fun.:biggrin:

UPSmeoff

I have been on the same route for 6 years. I know thats probably not long for some of you, but my people like me. Ive been getting the same things from the same people year in and out.
I enjoy the signed xmas card just as much as anything else.
If i didnt get anything this month i would not care in the least.
It is enough to know that they are my friends. BUT...
why shouldnt i look forward to what i know is coming?
To UPS im just a number that they give a turkey.
To my customers im a hardworking integral part of their business and lives....but you already know that.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
danny, you choose to call it a "gift" that cannot be earned.

Many think of it traditionally as a Christmas tip.

A tip should certainly be earned and deserved, but as I already mentioned does not make it mandatory.

"But of course, being employed inside, you would not know about that?"

That is either silly or stupid and I could use the same reasoning on you as you don't work at all for UPS. :lol:

I was a driver for sixteen years and received many tangible shows of appreciation (whatever you want to call them) during the Christmas seasons during those years and since for that matter.

The fact is, you show you don't know what you are talking about by mentioning the inside factor in this regard.

The counter has regular customers just like the drivers and many of them show their appreciation in the same way customers do to their drivers.

After all, it's basically the same thing, we supply a service that we are well compensated for and some customers appreciate it more than others and choose to show it by giving us something during the Christmas season.

You are welcome UPSmeoff,

The fact is danny who has very strong personal opinions and states them prolifically, but that does not make him the official judge to pontificate any moral judgements on your pleasure in this seasonal tradition.

old levi's

blank space
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title -->I've been a swing driver for 10 years (read here often not on the same route 2 days in a row, especially at peak) so I don't get any tips/gifts. But thats ok ; I still try to do the best job that I can.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
OK

Tips are what you get during the year when you do things above and beyond. At christmas, it is a gift. Period.

Even as a tip, his post showed an attitude that they were owed. The customer decides if your service is worth the "tip" or not. Not the service provider.

d

UPSmeoff

Danny,.....are you listening to me or are you really that dense and thick headed. This is my last post to a thread that was to be a funny, 'what do yall get for xmas?'
You have turned it into something that it isnt supposed to be. Im still new here but i wonder if this is a trend of yours.
As for your last post.... i dont get tips throughout the year, but if your more comfortable calling them gifts in december....so be it. you win.
I bust my ass for UPS and my customers know it. Tip or Gift you decide, but in the mean time stop being so {edited by moderator for obsenity} critical.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not critical. Just responding to someone that tried to be funny and came off sounding like a selfish jerk.

Tips are designed for those that make less than minimum wage to bring them up to the minimum or higher when the tips are added to them. You make a bit more than minimum wage so that does not fit your explanation.

A small sum of money given to someone for performing a service; a gratuity a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter)

Notice it does not say anything about bottles or $100 bills. As for the services rendered, you get paid and paid well for rendering that service. Your "its about time" title to the thread shows that instead of being grateful, ah hell, I'm wasting my time.

Just make sure you claim your "tips" on your income tax return, after all, it is federal law.

d

psstdrvr

dannyboy, it amazes me that there are still people around, like you,who are so critical of the pettiest of issues. do you also bleed brown blood like the other suited smucks? get a life for crying out loud!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ah nothing like fresh flesh making their first post like yours. I Love it.

Post a while, lets see what ya got.

Best

d

ok2bclever

I Re Member
This is really not surprising, but I disagree with you and think you are dead wrong, in your thinking here, your definitions and your attitude, danny.

The bottom line is your opinion is just that, nothing more.

In my opinion it's a traditional Christmas tip.

I also don't believe you get to determine or define who gets or deserves them.

UPSmeoff

I know i said i wasnt going to post on this thread anymore but i just figured it out.
You see, im still new to computers or i would have found this place long ago.
Methinks its all about the last word.
Tag....

your it.:biggrin:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ok

Some times you do post something that is worth the space on the forum and the time it takes to read it.

And you hit my whole thought process on this thread when you posted
I also don't believe you get to determine or define who gets or deserves them

Of course you meant it as a personal slam, but instead you made my point.

We as drivers dont determine what we get at Christmas. Nor do we determine the timing. A tip is left for the worker at the end of the service. A gift is something given to the worker by the person because they want to give it. I would guess that to really determine which it would be in either case would depend on the customer.

My point in either case is the attitude of this poor misguided soul that figures he is owed and they are late in their payment of monies due. Our customer does not owe the driver a thing. Get that through your head. I know it is tough, but that is where your misguided thoughts are coming from.

It all boils down to him trying to be funny, and it really wasn't. Kinda like what some guys do with their wives when they talk trash in the locker room. They think it funny, all it does is cheapen the whole relationship.

d

Last edited:

ok2bclever

I Re Member
No danny, I didn't prove your point.

I stated a fact and then you read into it the world according to danny, your favorite book.

If you consider a fact a personal slam, then mayhaps you need to clean up your own backyard before judging all others on this forum.

Also, the "we as drivers", you ain't any more, you quit just before Christmas as the ultimate unselfish act for your fellow drivers:wink:, remember.

You can pontify your personally defined morality all you wish, but you don't get to define for anyone else.

As far as you determining UPSmeoff is a poor misguided soul, how pompous!

This is a new low for your bashing, a first time poster.

It breaks your last record from last week nailing a third time poster.

You really need to find yourself something to do, obviously the fishy thing isn't enough.

UPSmeoff

sniff...

sniff... you got me right in the solar plexus on that last post danny.
Just remember that a sense of humor is just what it is.........a SENSE of what one finds funny, not a fact written in stone.
Obviously im barking up the wrong forum and i apologize in advance for what this poor misguided soul might post in the future.
oh, and danny...................

{Attachment removed by moderator}