Break Violations

falcon back

I had routes where in order to make service had to squeeze a half hour break in after everything else on road was done. One mgr decided that he could plug an open route in another loop by taking away a courier from our loop and splitting that route amongst the rest of us. Almost never got a midday lunch or a full hour lunch after that. That mgr got three warning letters in a year, including putting gas in a diesel van, and was fired.
You decided to do your lunch that way? Lunch is your legal right to take everyday. Skipping, driving during or doing anything but enjoying your lunch is crazy. I bet that manager and your dispatchers took a lunch every day. Having service failures because you took a lunch is not your problem.

Working4the1%

If I’m going out with 125 stops, I take a break on the AM Sort loading trucks, then straight line the day.
I take a break and don’t give a .. and bring back the undeliverable. Repeat daily. Still don’t see managers on the road during this Pandemic surge and Response crisis. They not stepping up. Neither am I

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If I’m going out with 125 stops, I take a break on the AM Sort loading trucks, then straight line the day.
Why would you donate your time to FedEx? They are a multi-million (possibly billion) dollar company. If you have too many stops that’s their problem, not yours. Take your break on road and stop giving up money.

McFeely

Huge Member
Why would you donate your time to FedEx? They are a multi-million (possibly billion) dollar company. If you have too many stops that’s their problem, not yours. Take your break on road and stop giving up money.

100% this. I don't ever do any work while on break. I have taken my break during sort delays, but I don't do anything work related during that time.

McFeely

Huge Member
Lol. I never even took a break during sort delays unless I needed to be somewhere after work. Code 43.

Exactly. The only times I have is when I know the day is going to run ridiculously long and I just want to get the break out of the way.

Code 43s ended up with a massive amount of OT on my yearly pay. Same goes for punching in 5 min before my scheduled time. Also same for 28-29s that we get in my state. I'm amazed at the number of people not taking advantage of $ that's sitting on the table.

MassWineGuy

Well, this clears it all up.

Maybe I’ll get an OCD or whatever it is. It ought to be OCD. My manager was written up the other week for another break violation.

Star B

White Lightening
The only time we are ever talked to about our break violations (other than flavor of the month things) are if you don't take your minimum half over 6.

First hour, last hour, all just wasted toner unless it's the flavor of the month at MEM.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
Earth calling Floridays:

?
I have absolutely zero clue as to what this means.
if you take your break DURING the actual AM sort, you'll get screamed at by management and your fellow couriers for doing something so idiotic.

its like taking your break right after you show back up for the reload when pull was 2 minutes ago and everything has to get out of the building.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
if you take your break DURING the actual AM sort, you'll get screamed at by management and your fellow couriers for doing something so idiotic.

its like taking your break right after you show back up for the reload when pull was 2 minutes ago and everything has to get out of the building.
And even MORE idiotic is taking your break AND CONTINUING TO WORK!

Lates

I take mine I don’t care if just sit in the sprinter for the whole thing but I’m not moving or working. No free work from me. Sometimes if we have a long delay I’ll take it and go get breakfast.

MassWineGuy

If you worked during break and you got hurt or in a collision, could the company refuse to cover you? You weren’t on the clock.