Break Violations

MassWineGuy

Has anyone ever really been fired for break violations? I’ve missed a couple lately. I often get so into getting the deliveries off and pups made that I lose track of the time. Not especially worried about my job. But don’t want to get written up, either.

It will be fine

Has anyone ever really been fired for break violations? I’ve missed a couple lately. I often get so into getting the deliveries off and pups made that I lose track of the time. Not especially worried about my job. But don’t want to get written up, either.
Do your scanner prompt you to take a break? If not, set an alarm on your phone.

McFeely

Huge Member
Do your scanner prompt you to take a break? If not, set an alarm on your phone.

I’ve never seen any sort of reminder from the PPAD or Leo to prompt us to take our breaks.
Probably too many variations to get it accurate company-wide: some states are 6 hours, some 5, some stations mandate a 60 min break and others only 30.

The only prompt I’ve seen is when I’ve hit 12 hours to remind me of DOT violations.

P1 Failure

Then take your break. If you have a break violation it pops up on a report that your manager and senior manager sees. I would imagine if you have too many and you have been spoken to several times about it you will eventually get a letter cuz you have been told not to have a violation. If you are working over 6hrs you must take a 30 minute break. If 8 then an hour break but that has been waived for a long time now. Your station/may be different.

Working4the1%

Then take your break. If you have a break violation it pops up on a report that your manager and senior manager sees. I would imagine if you have too many and you have been spoken to several times about it you will eventually get a letter cuz you have been told not to have a violation. If you are working over 6hrs you must take a 30 minute break. If 8 then an hour break but that has been waived for a long time now. Your station/may be different.
They just add it into his time card….

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You've got some weird issues if you keep forgetting to take your break.

thedownhillEXPRESS

You've got some weird issues if you keep forgetting to take your break.
For the first time ever I agree with Dano.
Just take a damned break.
And not within the first or last hour.
Find somewhere to eat or chill out and nap or read at a regular time each day.
If the route structure is the problem then bring that up .

AB831

For the first time ever I agree with Dano.
Just take a damned break.
And not within the first or last hour.
Find somewhere to eat or chill out and nap or read at a regular time each day.
If the route structure is the problem then bring that up .
I used to genuinely enjoy my break. I’d find thrift shops on my route and/or record stores to explore.

DeliveryException

Back when I was a pickup courier, there were routes that has so many stops you really couldn't get one on route. You had to take it when you got back and then work another hour. I think those have been realigned to not have those issues at this point.

fatboy33

You will be written up. You'll have to get into the mindset that your breaks are more important than service. We've had couriers have B.V.s and every time management said breaks must be taken on time.

falcon back

Back when I was a pickup courier, there were routes that has so many stops you really couldn't get one on route. You had to take it when you got back and then work another hour. I think those have been realigned to not have those issues at this point.
You didn't HAVE to take your break at the end, you chose to take your break at the end. Big difference.

vantexan

You didn't HAVE to take your break at the end, you chose to take your break at the end. Big difference.
I had routes where in order to make service had to squeeze a half hour break in after everything else on road was done. One mgr decided that he could plug an open route in another loop by taking away a courier from our loop and splitting that route amongst the rest of us. Almost never got a midday lunch or a full hour lunch after that. That mgr got three warning letters in a year, including putting gas in a diesel van, and was fired.

Serf

If I’m going out with 125 stops, I take a break on the AM Sort loading trucks, then straight line the day.