Breaking senior drivers

35years

Gravy route
Man I agree with you on that one, unfortunately we had a driver who had a ride along with a member of management who instructed him to use the driver side door, he refused and was taken out of service. We went to the panel and it was upheld, he was given a suspension for all time served and told to use the driver side door with three points of contact. SMH terrible decision IMO.
Can't exit with 3 points of contact and use handrail with pkg in hand.

Want me to exit driver door? OK, pkg goes on passenger step. I exit driver's side and go around truck to get pkg.

After putting pkg down, position feet and body to sit down on seat so you don't twist feet. Lift feet, pivot on seat. Reestablish feet on other side of seat, grasp handrail, fold in mirror, establish firm footing. Check both ways before exiting. Then go around truck to get pkg.

You can't fold in mirror without standing on other side of seat... to avoid end range motion. Safety first.

Takes twice as long to exit driver's side when done properly.

Last edited:

Whereistheunion

I am a delivery driver with nearly 30 years of service and wonder everyday how I am going to make it to the finish line. I worked with guys that stole time from this company for years and it was wrong. Todays technology eliminates that and that’s a good thing. However, when I learned my route years ago I averaged around 115 stops a day. I did the job and got off the clock. Now it’s more like 145 a day. These 30, 40, even 50 more stops a day are brutal on someone that has nearly 30 years of service and wear and tear on their body. I am at the point where I regret staying here and would not recommend this job to anyone. I could have been a lot healthier and happier making less money somewhere else.
Feel your pain. We are a home delivery company now 175 to 185 stops per day is now the norm. A lot of drivers in there 20's aren't showing up for work and abusing FMLA to avoid working. We have to accept change and move forward.

quad decade guy

Feel your pain. We are a home delivery company now 175 to 185 stops per day is now the norm. A lot of drivers in there 20's aren't showing up for work and abusing FMLA to avoid working. We have to accept change and move forward.
Hmmm.

Ok.

FMLA isn't easy to get. It requires a lot of sign off's with consequences for fraud.

So, "we" have to accept it....

Including pickups(50), I had 170 stops 15 years ago.

Re-Raise

But you were in package car for about a week and a half
I had 27 yrs in package and a little over 7 yrs in package. My knees and back are fine. I hit a golf ball further now than I ever have. I can also run a sub 27 minute 5k pretty easily at 57.

The main thing is keeping off the extra weight. The guys who fell apart physically at my work all packed on about 50 pounds over the years. About two thirds of them smoked as well.

We just had a high school class reunion. The majority of the people there were falling apart. Just as many people with office jobs were having knee trouble, hip replacement or other health problems as the people with physical jobs. The common denominator is being overweight.

Re-Raise

On a side note..My 93yr old father grew up and farmed during a time when the job was extremely physical. He actually plowed with a team of horses when he was young.

My brother-in-law is a month younger than I am. He is 57 and farms with large machinery that does all of the physical work for you.

Dad has never had any type of surgery in his life. My brother-in-law has had surgery on both wrists and his neck. He has also had both knees replaced. He is easily 100 pounds overweight.

If I had to bet $1000 on a 100 meter dash right now between them, my money would be on dad.

Like he always said.. “a little hard work never hurt anyone”.

Re-Raise

700C204F-AE82-4422-93C8-E9F0D14BF504.jpeg

I got to go with dad about three years ago on an Honor Flight for veterans. It was mostly Vietnam Vets with a handful of surviving Korean War Vets like him.

We went to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is up a huge hill at Arlington. He started pushing one of the other vets in a wheelchair… I said “dad, they have people to do that!”

He was 90 at the time lol

Est.1998

View attachment 380593
I got to go with dad about three years ago on an Honor Flight for veterans. It was mostly Vietnam Vets with a handful of surviving Korean War Vets like him.

We went to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is up a huge hill at Arlington. He started pushing one of the other vets in a wheelchair… I said “dad, they have people to do that!”

He was 90 at the time lol
your dads a remarkable guy!
the world could use more like him these days.

Re-Raise

your dads a remarkable guy!
the world could use more like him these days.
Thanks! I know I’m lucky to still have him in my life. My wife and I built a house next door.. 1/4 mile away.

I’ve never given a eulogy.. but I know I will for him. I also know the first line will be
“Every really important thing I have leaned in my life, I learned from my father”

I know this thread is old but this is why I quit recently. I find it odd some people complain about the work itself taking a toll on your body while others seem to only focus on the harassments, mind games and office politics (or "union politics" if you want to be that cringe.) When I quit there were so many trucks not getting loaded on a regular basis and my sup had to get people to load it at the very end of the day. I scrambled every second of the day and had nothing to show for it. Nobody wants to work at this job it seems.

I suggest you quit as well. I can't tell you how many loaders also felt the same way you did. You'll regret not leaving sooner.