Build a mosque...

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I se how this works the new guy get punished and two pages over (building mosque)profanity runs amok because they have been here longer.

This is from our moderator guidelines:

Language
---------------------------------------------------
No profanity (those who snuck past the censoring), violent, discriminatory langauge or personal attacks are tolerated in the forum. If you see any inappropriate posts, edit the post immediately. Remove the offending portion or entire post body and insert a edit note explaining your action. If an excessive amount of profanity is used in a post, remove it.

What exactly is inapproprite language then? Anything you won't hear on prime time TV (for example, ABC News or Discovery Channel) should be considered inappropriate. Use your judgement. A word may be more offensive when it is directed at someone else. "Oops, I made an ass out of myself!" is okay. "So-and-so, quit being such an ass!" is not.

Yeah...It's a senority shop here!!:happy-very:
You're new so I just wanted to make sure you understand that Tony is making a joke. That's why he's so happy :happy-very:

This is from our moderator guidelines:

Language
---------------------------------------------------
No profanity (those who snuck past the censoring), violent, discriminatory langauge or personal attacks are tolerated in the forum. If you see any inappropriate posts, edit the post immediately. Remove the offending portion or entire post body and insert a edit note explaining your action. If an excessive amount of profanity is used in a post, remove it.

What exactly is inapproprite language then? Anything you won't hear on prime time TV (for example, ABC News or Discovery Channel) should be considered inappropriate. Use your judgement. A word may be more offensive when it is directed at someone else. "Oops, I made an ass out of myself!" is okay. "So-and-so, quit being such an ass!" is not.
I think "quit being such an ass" is ok because it implies someone is heading in that direction and needs it pointed out. "so and so,you are an ass" is more of the unacceptable nature.
Not that I`ve ever called someone a name on here.:angel2:

You're new so I just wanted to make sure you understand that Tony is making a joke. That's why he's so happy :happy-very:

P

pickup

I find the last few posts to be very humorous.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Mosque controversy swirls around Obama

Obama’s comments placed him in the middle of the controversy over a Muslim group’s plans for a mosque near the site of the 2001 attack — and in turn, transformed an emotion-laden local dispute in New York into a nationwide debate overnight.

The Friday statement and Saturday clarification were consistent in a literal sense, but they sent sharply different signals that may have called into question how clearly the president thought through his intervention in the controversy or how his words would echo.

The legal right to build the mosque is one even many critics of the mosque have not contested — claiming mainly that the project was inappropriate on grounds of taste and local sensitivities and therefore should be strongly discouraged.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am watching CNN this morning and President Obama again clarified his earlier statements. He said that he did not specifically support the decision to build in that location but that he does support the concept of religious freedom, which is the way I understood his earlier comments but, as based on the discussion here, not the way others took his comments.

bbsam

Staff member
Mosque controversy swirls around Obama

Obama’s comments placed him in the middle of the controversy over a Muslim group’s plans for a mosque near the site of the 2001 attack — and in turn, transformed an emotion-laden local dispute in New York into a nationwide debate overnight.

The Friday statement and Saturday clarification were consistent in a literal sense, but they sent sharply different signals that may have called into question how clearly the president thought through his intervention in the controversy or how his words would echo.

The legal right to build the mosque is one even many critics of the mosque have not contested — claiming mainly that the project was inappropriate on grounds of taste and local sensitivities and therefore should be strongly discouraged.

But it is not local sensitivities driving this story. It's being whipped up by the right for the political season.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
But it is not local sensitivities driving this story. It's being whipped up by the right for the political season.
Marist: Majority Opposes Ground Zero Mosque, Blooomberg Approval at 5-Year Low

A new poll from Marist shows that a majority of registered voters in New York City oppose the construction of a mosque near Ground Zero in Manhattan. Fifty three percent of those surveyed, including 50% of Democrats, 74% of Republicans, and 52% of "non-enrolled" voters, don't want to see the mosque built, while 34% fav0r the project and 13% are "unsure."

A nearly identical 50% saying that building such a structure "offends the memory of thge 9/11 victims and their families." Thirty-four percent say the project will "help people better understand the teachings of Islam and the Muslim religion."

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ihad heard & read that this proposed mosque would be a place where ALL peoples could gather. That's what the Imam was touting.

It's my understanding that a mosque is much like the Mormon Tabernacle and only members in good standing can go in.

So unless you are a muslim, you won't be singing Kumbaya in the mosque.

bbsam

Staff member
Marist: Majority Opposes Ground Zero Mosque, Blooomberg Approval at 5-Year Low

A new poll from Marist shows that a majority of registered voters in New York City oppose the construction of a mosque near Ground Zero in Manhattan. Fifty three percent of those surveyed, including 50% of Democrats, 74% of Republicans, and 52% of "non-enrolled" voters, don't want to see the mosque built, while 34% fav0r the project and 13% are "unsure."

A nearly identical 50% saying that building such a structure "offends the memory of thge 9/11 victims and their families." Thirty-four percent say the project will "help people better understand the teachings of Islam and the Muslim religion."

Point taken. However, within the margin of error. 48% 52% split 4% margin of error. I could make a case for New York being evenly divided and the rest of the country being whipped into a frenzy for political gain over a building that will have little to do with most Americans.

diesel96

It not surprising hearing Conservatives mainly using the Constitution for convenience. It's ignored when Bush was President, and it's being ignored with the proposed Muslim Community Center. I mean you know we're a country that in my view stands for freedom of religion and respect for others, I know there are sensitivities and also question the wisdom of the location. We may not agree with them, however this is a place where you're supposed to be able to practice your religion without the government telling you you can't.
These politicians that are standing up against the constitution should step down, they have broken their oath.
President Obama has stated that America still believes in religious freedom. Apparently there are many so-called Americans who no longer share that view. If they fight this treasured belief, then I hope they admit that they no longer believe in the American dream, the Constitution or freedom, liberty and justice for all. I hope they admit the are totally against any pursuit of happiness not theirs.

mech1

It not surprising hearing Conservatives mainly using the Constitution for convenience. It's ignored when Bush was President, and it's being ignored with the proposed Muslim Community Center. I mean you know we're a country that in my view stands for freedom of religion and respect for others, I know there are sensitivities and also question the wisdom of the location. We may not agree with them, however this is a place where you're supposed to be able to practice your religion without the government telling you you can't.
These politicians that are standing up against the constitution should step down, they have broken their oath.
President Obama has stated that America still believes in religious freedom. Apparently there are many so-called Americans who no longer share that view. If they fight this treasured belief, then I hope they admit that they no longer believe in the American dream, the Constitution or freedom, liberty and justice for all. I hope they admit the are totally against any pursuit of happiness not theirs.
Not when it's the very same religon that killed over 3000 innocent americans.You apparently do not care that all those people died, islam the same religon that they want to practice a couple of blocks from sacred ground so they can triumph in there victory.IT does'nt surprise me the president does'nt care because was a muslim to.Now the family's of the fallen victims have to walk by that mosque and be remined that the people in that mosque are practicing the same religon that killed there loved ones, or are they plotting again.It's not about religous freedom, you lost that when you killed all those americans.Remember you live in the greatest country in the world and they hate you for your freedoms.So stand up for your countrymen, and not for a mosque that promotes hatered.GOD BLESS THE U.S. AND ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM,AND GOD BLESS THE VICTIMS OF 9/11 YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN YOU'RE MEMORY WILL NOT BE TARNISHED.

av8torntn

I mean you know we're a country that in my view stands for freedom of religion and respect for others, I know there are sensitivities and also question the wisdom of the location. We may not agree with them, however this is a place where you're supposed to be able to practice your religion without the government telling you you can't.

Did the government tell them they could not practice their religion or did you just make that up? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you just made that up. It's hard to get around the fact that there are over a thousand mosques in this country. Heck their governor even offered to give them land in another location to build their mosque. Oh wait it's supposed to be a community center and not a mosque.

Honestly there is no Constitutional issue here. I think what this really shows is the true lack of knowledge the dimocrats have of our Constitution in their desire to try and make this a freedom of religion issue. Do you think that if I started a religion and according to my religion the only place I could worship was the oval office on super bowl Sunday that I would be allowed to do that. No. There are limits to everything. For that matter if I wanted to build a strip club next to an elementary school I would also not be allowed to do that. There are also limits on what we can do with our property. The people I have seen interviewed from NYC just did not want this built here. In this country local governments have the right to regulate what gets built where. I thought you dimocrats were all about regulation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
How the "ground zero mosque" fear mongering began
By Justin Elliott
AP
Blogger Pamela Geller and Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf

A group of progressive Muslim-Americans plans to build an Islamic community center two and a half blocks from ground zero in lower Manhattan. They have had a mosque in the same neighborhood for many years. There's another mosque two blocks away from the site. City officials support the project. Muslims have been praying at the Pentagon, the other building hit on Sept. 11, for many years.
In short, there is no good reason that the Cordoba House project should have been a major national news story, let alone controversy. And yet it has become just that, dominating the political conversation for weeks and prompting such a backlash that, according to a new poll, nearly 7 in 10 Americans now say they oppose the project. How did the Cordoba House become so toxic, so fast?
In a story last week, the New York Times, which framed the project in a largely positive, noncontroversial light last December, argued that it was cursed from the start by "public relations missteps." But this isn't accurate. To a remarkable extent, a Salon review of the origins of the story found, the controversy was kicked up and driven by Pamela Geller, a right-wing, viciously anti-Muslim, conspiracy-mongering blogger, whose sinister portrayal of the project was embraced by Rupert Murdoch's New York Post.
Here's a timeline of how it all happened:

• Dec. 8, 2009: The Times publishes a lengthy front-page look at the Cordoba project. "We want to push back against the extremists," Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the lead organizer, is quoted as saying. Two Jewish leaders and two city officials, including the mayor's office, say they support the idea, as does the mother of a man killed on 9/11. An FBI spokesman says the imam has worked with the bureau. Besides a few third-tier right-wing blogs, including Pamela Geller's Atlas Shrugs site, no one much notices the Times story.
  • Dec. 21, 2009: Conservative media personality Laura Ingraham interviews Abdul Rauf's wife, Daisy Khan, while guest-hosting "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox. In hindsight, the segment is remarkable for its cordiality. "I can't find many people who really have a problem with it," Ingraham says of the Cordoba project, adding at the end of the interview, "I like what you're trying to do."
  • (This segment also includes onscreen the first use that we've seen of the misnomer "ground zero mosque.") After the segment — and despite the front-page Times story — there were no news articles on the mosque for five and a half months, according to a search of the Nexis newspaper archive.
  • May 6, 2010: After a unanimous vote by a New York City community board committee to approve the project, the AP runs a story. It quotes relatives of 9/11 victims (called by the reporter), who offer differing opinions. The New York Post, meanwhile, runs a story under the inaccurate headline, "Panel Approves 'WTC' Mosque." Geller is less subtle, titling her post that day, "Monster Mosque Pushes Ahead in Shadow of World Trade Center Islamic Death and Destruction." She writes on her Atlas Shrugs blog, "This is Islamic domination and expansionism. The location is no accident. Just as Al-Aqsa was built on top of the Temple in Jerusalem." (To get an idea of where Geller is coming from, she once suggested that Malcolm X was Obama's real father. Seriously.)
  • May 7, 2010: Geller's group, Stop Islamization of America (SIOA), launches "Campaign Offensive: Stop the 911 Mosque!" (SIOA 's associate director is Robert Spencer, who makes his living writing and speaking about the evils of Islam.) Geller posts the names and contact information for the mayor and members of the community board, encouraging people to write. The board chair later reports getting "hundreds and hundreds" of calls and e-mails from around the world.
  • May 8, 2010: Geller announces SIOA's first protest against what she calls the "911 monster mosque" for May 29. She and Spencer and several other members of the professional anti-Islam industry will attend. (She also says that the protest will mark the dark day of "May 29, 1453, [when] the Ottoman forces led by the Sultan Mehmet II broke through the Byzantine defenses against the Muslim siege of Constantinople." The outrage-peddling New York Post columnist Andrea Peyser argues in a note at the end of her column a couple of days later that "there are better places to put a mosque."
  • May 13, 2010: Peyser follows up with an entire column devoted to "Mosque Madness at Ground Zero." This is a significant moment in the development of the "ground zero mosque" narrative: It's the first newspaper article that frames the project as inherently wrong and suspect, in the way that Geller has been framing it for months. Peyser in fact quotes Geller at length and promotes the anti-mosque protest of Stop Islamization of America, which Peyser describes as a "human-rights group." Peyser also reports — falsely — that Cordoba House's opening date will be Sept. 11, 2011.

Lots of opinion makers on the right read the Post, so it's not surprising that, starting that very day, the mosque story spread through the conservative — and then mainstream — media like fire through dry grass. Geller appeared on Sean Hannity's radio show. The Washington Examiner ran an outraged column about honoring the 9/11 dead. So did Investor's Business Daily. Smelling blood, the Post assigned news reporters to cover the ins and outs of the Cordoba House development daily. Fox News, the Post's television sibling, went all out.
Within a month, Rudy Giuliani had called the mosque a "desecration." Within another month, Sarah Palin had tweeted her famous "peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate" tweet. Peter King and Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty followed suit — with political reporters and television news programs dutifully covering "both sides" of the controversy.
Geller had succeeded beyond her wildest dreams.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You don't need a blogger to make your own decision on this matter. I heard the interviews directly with the Imam where he would not admit that the hamas were terrorists. That's all I needed.

mech1

I am watching CNN this morning and President Obama again clarified his earlier statements. He said that he did not specifically support the decision to build in that location but that he does support the concept of religious freedom, which is the way I understood his earlier comments but, as based on the discussion here, not the way others took his comments.
He can't have both ways he knows he screwed up by making that comment and now he is back tracking.Typical liberal

Not when it's the very same religion that killed over 3000 innocent americans.You apparently do not care that all those people died, islam the same religon that they want to practice a couple of blocks from sacred ground so they can triumph in there victory.IT does'nt surprise me the president does'nt care because was a muslim to.Now the family's of the fallen victims have to walk by that mosque and be remined that the people in that mosque are practicing the same religon that killed there loved ones, or are they plotting again.It's not about religous freedom, you lost that when you killed all those americans.Remember you live in the greatest country in the world and they hate you for your freedoms.So stand up for your countrymen, and not for a mosque that promotes hatered.GOD BLESS THE U.S. AND ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM,AND GOD BLESS THE VICTIMS OF 9/11 YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN YOU'RE MEMORY WILL NOT BE TARNISHED.

The religion killed 3000 or EXTREMISTS of that religion killed 3000? EXTREMISTS of Christianity have pipe bombed Planned Parenthood clinics and murdered doctors. A Catholic EXTREMIST bombed the Murrah Federal building in Oklahoma City killing 168 of which 19 where babies under the age of 6 years old.
Are you against the building of ANY religious buildings ,tied to the death of innocents? If so then stand by your convictions. Or are you just against the Muslims because they`re different?

P.s. You do know that some of the men and women you asked for blessings for at the end of your post for defending our freedoms are Muslim, right?

Last edited: