Build a mosque...

diesel96

Did the government tell them they could not practice their religion or did you just make that up? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you just made that up. It's hard to get around the fact that there are over a thousand mosques in this country. Heck their governor even offered to give them land in another location to build their mosque. Oh wait it's supposed to be a community center and not a mosque.

Honestly there is no Constitutional issue here. I think what this really shows is the true lack of knowledge the dimocrats have of our Constitution in their desire to try and make this a freedom of religion issue. Do you think that if I started a religion and according to my religion the only place I could worship was the oval office on super bowl Sunday that I would be allowed to do that. No. There are limits to everything. For that matter if I wanted to build a strip club next to an elementary school I would also not be allowed to do that. There are also limits on what we can do with our property. The people I have seen interviewed from NYC just did not want this built here. In this country local governments have the right to regulate what gets built where. I thought you dimocrats were all about regulation.

No, the Federal Gov't wants no part of this, ironically it's those such as yourself who claim to have the "less gov't" mentality showing their hypocritical colors by demanding and threaten popular opinion and the local gov't to step in whenever it inconveniences your extreme fears, that are spread like wild-fire through-out Rupert Murdoch's empire and all his braindead followers and fan club.

The planned Community Center/ Mosque is within all NYC's already established legal zoning and planning regulations. It's within the limits set forth equally for any viable establishment that meets the requiremnets. Now that your revolting against a qualified religious establishment requesting bldg permits, you better believe the Constitution is in play here.

The area around Ground Zero is packed with liquor stores, bars, and even sex shops, not quite the unblemished hallowed ground mosque opponents say they want to protect.
Also taking up space near the site of the Sept. 11th terrorist attacks are Thunder Lingerie, and the Pussycat Lounge, a strip club, located just two blocks away from Ground Zero, the same distance as the proposed Islamic Cultural Center.
The local paper also counted 10 churches, three synagogues, a Buddhist community center, a Hare Krishna gathering place and a Muslim prayer center.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/nyregion/28nyc.html

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Personally I don't see this as a right or left issue but rather one of common decency and respect for the one's lost there. I don't think the terrorists were counting how many dems or repubs they were killing...

Reid: Build mosque elsewhere

The Senate's top Democrat says a mosque should not be built near the site of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada on Monday became the highest profile Democrat to break with President Barack Obama, who on Friday backed the right for the developers to build a mosque near ground zero.

In a statement, Reid said the first amendment protects freedom of religion and he respects that, but the mosque should be built somewhere else.

Mosque at ground zero lacks respect

Location matters. Especially this location. Ground zero is the site of the greatest mass murder in American history — perpetrated by Muslims of a particular Islamist orthodoxy in whose cause they died and in whose name they killed.

Of course that strain represents only a minority of Muslims. Islam is no more intrinsically Islamist than present-day Germany is Nazi — yet despite contemporary Germany's innocence, no German of good will would even think of proposing a German cultural center at, say, Treblinka. Which makes you wonder about the goodwill behind Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's proposal. This is a man who has called U.S. policy "an accessory to the crime" of 9/11 and, when recently asked whether Hamas is a terrorist organization, replied, "I'm not a politician. ... The issue of terrorism is a very complex question."

America is a free country where you can build whatever you want — but not anywhere. That's why we have zoning laws. No liquor store near a school, and, if your house doesn't meet community architectural codes, you cannot build at all.
These restrictions are for reasons of aesthetics. Others are for more profound reasons of common decency and respect for the sacred. No commercial tower over Gettysburg, no convent at Auschwitz — and no mosque at ground zero. Build it anywhere but there.

The governor of New York offered to help find land to build the mosque elsewhere. A mosque really seeking to build bridges, Rauf's ostensible hope for the structure, would accept the offer.:peaceful:

In reading Diesel`s link then I guess it`s a good thing the towers weren`t attacked by extremist Victoria`s Secret models using exploding sex toys.

I understand the reverence towards the site but if that`s the stand the opposer's are going to take then it has to be either all or none , not all EXCEPT. What was it,15 of the 19 were Saudi`s? I don`t hear any opposition to any business/ownership of any building nearby by a Saudi.

av8torntn

No, the Federal Gov't wants no part of this, ironically it's those such as yourself who claim to have the "less gov't" mentality showing their hypocritical colors by demanding and threaten popular opinion and the local gov't to step in whenever it inconveniences your extreme fears, that are spread like wild-fire through-out Rupert Murdoch's empire and all his braindead followers and fan club.

The planned Community Center/ Mosque is within all NYC's already established legal zoning and planning regulations. It's within the limits set forth equally for any viable establishment that meets the requiremnets. Now that your revolting against a qualified religious establishment requesting bldg permits, you better believe the Constitution is in play here.

The federal government should have no interest in this. I am not really sure what you are going to fabricate that my opinion is but you should have just come out with it. All I have said, and it really does not matter if you like it or not, it's the business of the local government and local community what gets built where in their community. The only restriction here would be that the city could not say that no mosque could be built but they have the right to say no church at all can be built at a specific location. You being a drama queen and trying to falsely claim that someone is being denied the right to practice their religion, while amusing, makes no sense and doesn't fit with what has happened here. If you truly think that cities cannot and do not change zoning ordinances you are living in a dream land.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I wonder what the parcel costs?
I suspect that real estate around Ground Zero is very expensive.
I don't know, but Ground Zero should be a National Park, if not already.
For one reason: because it is a significant part of US history.
Maybe a wide area around Ground Zero should be protected by the USFS. I know...it's not a forest!

mech1

The religion killed 3000 or EXTREMISTS of that religion killed 3000? EXTREMISTS of Christianity have pipe bombed Planned Parenthood clinics and murdered doctors. A Catholic EXTREMIST bombed the Murrah Federal building in Oklahoma City killing 168 of which 19 where babies under the age of 6 years old.
Are you against the building of ANY religious buildings ,tied to the death of innocents? If so then stand by your convictions. Or are you just against the Muslims because they`re different?

P.s. You do know that some of the men and women you asked for blessings for at the end of your post for defending our freedoms are Muslim, right?

First of all it's not a mosque it's a community center.If a muslim walked into a church he would be welcomed with open arms,can't say the same if you were to walk into to that community center.No muslim likes the U.S. because of the way we live. And timothy Mcvee did not fly a plane into a building,he blew up a federal building,not because he was a religous fanatic he just hated the govt.BIG DIFFERENCE he did'nt commit an act of war.Tell you what let them build it in your backyard if you love them so much. I dont want to have to walk by that building and be remined of that awlful day.As far as a muslim defending my freedom apparently you dont watch the news, when the same muslim terriorest U.S soldier who threw a live grenade into a tent in afganistan or the other U.S muslim soldier who killed a couple of service men on a base down south.So do you see how nieve you are how can you sit there and defend a religon that promotes hatered teaches it's children to kill, and murders it's own family members if they choose to switch religons.I just don't see how you can defend them,Or how you could let them be your nieghbor.

mech1

The area around Ground Zero is packed with liquor stores, bars, and even sex shops, not quite the unblemished hallowed ground mosque opponents say they want to protect.
Also taking up space near the site of the Sept. 11th terrorist attacks are Thunder Lingerie, and the Pussycat Lounge, a strip club, located just two blocks away from Ground Zero, the same distance as the proposed Islamic Cultural Center.
The local paper also counted 10 churches, three synagogues, a Buddhist community center, a Hare Krishna gathering place and a Muslim prayer center.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/nyregion/28nyc.html

I can't wait until the nov election when all you dems get tossed out,you guys have destroyed this country ruined it reputation in the eyes of other nations.And now we have to bow down to the same religon that killed 3000 innocent victims just so we can say we like muslims. typical weak mined dems, that mosque should never be built these people hate this country there like a cancer that is spresding out of control.I want to see you try an open a church in iran or saudi arabia or iraq or kuwait or the united arab emirates or anywhere in the mideast.Just because we have freedom of religon in this counrty, alot of the muslim faith use that to there advantage, like for example most of the money funded to terrorist orgs. come from charitys setup by mosques that are run in this country so don't let them fool you they will do anything and everything to destroy this country.

First of all it's not a mosque it's a community center.If a muslim walked into a church he would be welcomed with open arms,can't say the same if you were to walk into to that community center. Actually true followers of Islam would welcome you in.
No muslim likes the U.S. because of the way we live.Even the American Muslims who live here? Some for generations.
And timothy Mcvee did not fly a plane into a building,he blew up a federal building Wow! Big difference! Ask any of the 19 children who are just as dead either way if they think it makes a difference. ,not because he was a religous fanatic he just hated the govt. The one governing the way we live? You`re contradicting yourself now.BIG DIFFERENCE he did'nt commit an act of war He committed a terrorist act as did the 19 hijackers. He just belonged to a smaller group..Tell you what let them build it in your backyard if you love them so much. Actually there is a mosque in town,less than 4 miles as the crow flies. Never had any of them cause trouble. Lots of people like you have though. I dont want to have to walk by that building and be remined of that awlful day. So by burying your head in the sand will honor these people?
As far as a muslim defending my freedom apparently you dont watch the news, when the same muslim terriorest U.S soldier who threw a live grenade into a tent in afganistan or the other U.S muslim soldier who killed a couple of service men on a base down south. Did that happen? Yes. But so did other acts of violence upon soldiers by their fellow soldiers. Black,white,Jew,gentile,male,female. All have at one time or another. So do you see how nieve you are how can you sit there and defend a religon that promotes hatered You mean Christians? Awful lot of Native Americans and lynched black folk would attest to that. teaches it's children to kill Thats a broad paint brush there., and murders it's own family members if they choose to switch religons. Lots of religions fall into that statement there. You telling us you would be ok with your child switching to another religion if they came home with a fiancé who calls God by a different name? Even a Muslim one?
I just don't see how you can defend them Because I`m not a bigot who groups people as a whole.,Or how you could let them be your nieghbor. LET them? Last I checked it was still a free country,it`s not my place to LET anyone. But I can tell you I`ll take a Muslim family next door over someone like you any day of the week.

Your a fake. You claim your stand is because of those lost on 9/11 but be honest. It`s just your target for now. The same way you would have targeted the Japaneses Americans during WWII, the blacks during pretty much anytime,the Jews, the gays,etc,etc,etc.

av8torntn

Actually true followers of Islam would welcome you in.

I think from what I have seen and I have seen hundreds of mosques that not only would they not let you in if were not a follower of Islam they would not allow women or children in either. For this reason during combat operations we would haul around a Muslim male if we needed someone to go into a mosque for us.

"O you who believe! Verily, the Mushrikûn (polytheists) are Najasun (impure). So let them not come near Al-Masjid Al-Harâm (at Makkah) after this year” [al-Tawbah 9:28]

There is some debate within the Muslim ranks if this refers to all mosques or not but the "true followers " tend to not allow any impure(non Muslims, women, etc.) into their mosques. Just my opinion based on real world observations.

Even the American Muslims who live here? Some for generations.

This is where things become interesting. There are many true followers of Islam that would kill Muslims living in America and consider this as an acceptable thing. For proof of this you need to look no farther than 9-11. There is a verse or fatwa that explains this but I do not have time to find it for you but I'll try to get to it later.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I had a nda for a mosque once.
I did not like the group of men who surrounded me & demanded to know just what I was doing, not one would id themselves nor sign for the nda.

P

pickup

Build it and they will come?

This place is going to be a cab driver haven. I think a male muslim has to pray five times a day , towards mecca. Many muslim cab drivers when faced with no options will park the car and throw the rug on the ground and pray. This mosque is going to be used by a lot of these guys.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(Memri) In an August 16, 2010 column in the London daily Al-Sharq Al-Awsat, ‘Abd Al-Rahman Al-Rashed, Al-Arabiya TV director-general and the paper’s former editor, criticized President Obama for supporting the construction of the Cordoba House mosque at Ground Zero in New York.
He stated that it would be unwise to construct a mosque at that location, saying that no practicing Muslims live in the area, and that the mosque would become a focal point for both the supporters of terrorism and the champions of Islamophobia. Therefore, he argued, it would be preferable for Obama to throw his support behind issues that are of real concern for the Muslims, such as promoting Middle East peace.