Bumping and the right way to do it

Overpaid Union Thug

Here's the scenario: today I was made extra and I noticed a seasonal was scheduled on a bid route. I walked over to him and told him that if I didn't find any work, I had no choice but to take his route today (in the blind, zero area knowledge). He gave me the board and immediately found a supervisor. The sup then comes and questions me and said I don't know the area and that's why he was schedule for me so I simply told him I'm willing to learn. He goes, if you really want to do that go for it, get it done. End of the story, another driver ended up wanting the day off so I ran a different route, but my question as a new cover driver in the past 13 months, did I handle this situation correctly?

You didn't do anything wrong. Us drivers are capable of handling the manning without supervisors being involved but they are so dam worried about their numbers they often interfere. What I don't like about your situation is that you had to get your DIAD from a junior driver. We always have that issue with newer TCDs and still with a few new full-timers. I believe it's better for unassigned drivers to refrain from grabbing a DIAD until all of the senior drivers have sorted out who is going where. Having to chase another driver down for the DIAD is a pain. The unassigned drivers that walk in right before start time can complicate things if they change routes. Supervisors try and predict who will go where the best they can and set the manning board but those last minute arrivals tend to be the ones that shake things up. And when they do we don't need to have a bunch of people scrambling to find others to get DIADs. But I think did the right things.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It's not really "bumping" unless, What'dyabringmetoday approves.
Ok- I will bite. The discussion that you and I had pertained to "selecting" runs when "bid time" rolls around. The point I attempted to make with you is that at bid time, no one is bumping. If they choose "your" run that is all that they are doing. They are not bumping you. Sorry you don't like me. Perhaps I should not have discussed it with you. Just because someone chooses someone else's run at bid time does not make it a bump. Happy New Year. You are the man. I mean, The a Harry Manback. (Keep up the good work).

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Ok- I will bite. The discussion that you and I had pertained to "selecting" runs when "bid time" rolls around. The point I attempted to make with you is that at bid time, no one is bumping. If they choose "your" run that is all that they are doing. They are not bumping you. Sorry you don't like me. Perhaps I should not have discussed it with you. Just because someone chooses someone else's run at bid time does not make it a bump. Happy New Year. You are the man. I mean, The a Harry Manback. (Keep up the good work).

Tomato/ tomahto...

In my neck of the woods, removing a less senior employee from a preferred position is called a "bump".

We also call our "routes", runs. Some folks call them routes. Others call them trips. We like the word, "run".

Perhaps you've a union vernacular handbook, I've not been privy to.

Perhaps, I fancy a look at it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Vernacular- impressive. Would you agree that at "bid time" every route/run is posted on the bid board/sheet or whatever "vernacular"? If every job is up for bid at that time, nobody is getting bumped. "Outbid"? Perhaps. A month down the road if a driver's run is "cut", then there will be a bump when that driver chooses a run based on seniority. This is definitely fun Harry. Sorry that you don't like me. Happy New Year. Or maybe it is not a new year according to your "vernacular". Maybe it is just a "new day". Lol!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Vernacular- impressive. Would you agree that at "bid time" every route/run is posted on the bid board/sheet or whatever "vernacular"? If every job is up for bid at that time, nobody is getting bumped. "Outbid"? Perhaps. A month down the road if a driver's run is "cut", then there will be a bump when that driver chooses a run based on seniority. This is definitely fun Harry. Sorry that you don't like me. Happy New Year. Or maybe it is not a new year according to your "vernacular". Maybe it is just a "new day". Lol!

Outbid/Removed by a senior employee... What's the difference?

FWIW, it's always been fun for me. I wouldn't spar with you, if I didn't like you. ;)

I hope your holidays were great and, the new year brings all you hope for.

Ms.PacMan

I think we're talking about unbid utility or cover drivers. In my center there are usually 3 or 4 who don't get to pick vacation/disability routes. They are slotted in a route/run/trip daily because of sick days and optionals. They occasionally jostle each other around which we call bumping.

In my center it's not a big deal if we just tell the other driver that we're doing the route they were assigned for the day or tell the dispatch supe. Unless area knowledge is an issue and requires a ride, mgmt could care less.

BrownTexas

I wouldn't have bumped anyone. I would have came in the next day and handed them a grievance for a seniority violation and been paid the hours for the guy that did work.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Outbid/Removed by a senior employee... What's the difference?

FWIW, it's always been fun for me. I wouldn't spar with you, if I didn't like you. ;)

I hope your holidays were great and, the new year brings all you hope for.
The difference? I will try again. When everyone "bids" routes/runs when the bid cycle ends/restarts, they sign the bid that they choose in seniority order. Clean slate-nobody is bumped. Now- after a few months, if someone's run is cut they can "bump" another driver with less seniority. According to our language, if "abolished" runs are put back into effect, then affected drivers must return to their bid jobs. Yes-my perception of bumping will never mirror yours. But I stand by the fact that at the time the bids go up, no matter if it is eighteen months or two years, nobody is getting bumped when every job is posted. Yes - some of the whiney-pants crybabies might say that they are getting bumped. But nobody is getting bumped when EVERY JOB is posted at "bid time". Perhaps you will win this discussion with the word vernacular. Where I am from vernacular means "whatdidhejustsay?doh" lol...

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The difference? I will try again. When everyone "bids" routes/runs when the bid cycle ends/restarts, they sign the bid that they choose in seniority order. Clean slate-nobody is bumped. Now- after a few months, if someone's run is cut they can "bump" another driver with less seniority. According to our language, if "abolished" runs are put back into effect, then affected drivers must return to their bid jobs. Yes-my perception of bumping will never mirror yours. But I stand by the fact that at the time the bids go up, no matter if it is eighteen months or two years, nobody is getting bumped when every job is posted. Yes - some of the whiney-pants crybabies might say that they are getting bumped. But nobody is getting bumped when EVERY JOB is posted at "bid time". Perhaps you will win this discussion with the word vernacular. Where I am from vernacular means "whatdidhejustsay?doh" lol...
I agree with whatdyabringmetoday junior have no right to claim a route before a senior driver therefore there is no bump....they should be waiting for the senior driver to choose

barnyard

KTM rider
I've seen that same scenario only to have the junior guy say "cool I'm bumped I'm leaving" only to have them add a car and look for YOU who was suppose to be extra. Then them wonder how you all of a sudden have a route and where did the other guy go.

I will almost always bump someone off an unknown route, rather than have a crap wagon that was put together in the last 15 minutes in an area that I know like the back of my hand.

There are few things uglier in package than a car that has 15 stops PALd 1300-1320
30 stops from 2000-2040 and so on.

That said, the correct way to do it, is to go to a supe 1st. If I see a junior driver and know I am bumping him/her, I'll say, "Don't go far, I am probably bumping you off, so you will need to find out what you are doing."

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Either or. Bottom line is make sure you inform the sup's about the shuffle. I would usually go up to my boss and say "You've got Me on this route, I'm bumping Tommy and going home, he can run it. If they welcomed it, all would be fine. If they refused because Tommy was "too stupid", well then I would lay down and make them pay for it. Fun when you can punish them so easily

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The sup then comes and questions me and said I don't know the area and that's why he was schedule for me so I simply told him I'm willing to learn. He goes, if you really want to do that go for it, get it done.

You volunteered ?

Welcome to Earth.... we have a pretty nice planet here. :biggrin:

Right or wrong on how you went about it, I say good job.

Don't see a lot of people "man up" like that anymore.

-Bug-

oldngray

nowhere special
fist+bump.jpg

box_beeyotch

You volunteered ?

Welcome to Earth.... we have a pretty nice planet here. :biggrin:

Right or wrong on how you went about it, I say good job.

Don't see a lot of people "man up" like that anymore.

-Bug-

Yeah I did. If that's what's going to keep my bills paid, then I gotta do what I gotta do. Going out in the blind isn't that bad anyway, most people are just scared.

box_beeyotch

You are only in the blind once. I learned most of my routes that way.

Correction, 75 percent of my peak route this year was in the blind. I have no problem learning anything in the blind, may get a little frustrating but we're paid by the hour for one and for two, it will increase your chances of working everyday.