Bumping and the right way to do it

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yeah I did. If that's what's going to keep my bills paid, then I gotta do what I gotta do.

That is refreshing (to hear), and a positive attitude to have.

Going out in the blind isn't that bad anyway, most people are just scared.

It makes you a better Driver.

I have never understood the one's, that skipped their lunch and breaks....

Because, they didn't want to deliver in the dark.

That is the easiest money to be made.

The longer it takes.... the more you make.

I have no problem learning anything in the blind, it may get a little frustrating but we're paid by the hour for one and for two, it will increase your chances of working everyday.

Atta boy.

-Bug-

Coalminer2005

When I hired in as a coverage driver I intentionally learned every route in the building any drove 98 percent of the time. It pays to take the challenge and learn.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've never been afraid of going out blind and I think in most cases it should be allowed to happen. I say most cases because there are routes that probably shouldn't be run blind. Routes that are heavy with commercial stops that include multiple SADR accounts (or whatever the hell they are called) and/or are just difficult to run effectively because EDD alone isn't enough to guide an inexperienced driver. That is usually mall routes but not always. But realistically speaking no one should ever have to run a route blind if they don't want to. An on car supervisor should know all of the routes and be able to train drivers instead of them having to struggle. Drivers should also be able to train drivers an that is actually the best way. That has happened allot in our center lately. Its usually allowed by calling it a "safety ride" but it's also been coded other ways too. These things help eliminate the need for management to interfere with drivers using their seniority by claiming that there are "knowledge issues."

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I usually "bump" the guys who came in an hour before start time to sort their trip. Makes for an easy day and teaches a lesson to not work for free.

box_beeyotch

I usually "bump" the guys who came in an hour before start time to sort their trip. Makes for an easy day and teaches a lesson to not work for free.

I hate the guys who do that. It's mostly the new drivers like myself, however you won't catch me working for free. Even if I have to fix and finish loading my car half an hour before start time, you better believe it's getting coded in my board. The second I touch a package I'm on the clock.

Overpaid Union Thug

I hate the guys who do that. It's mostly the new drivers like myself, however you won't catch me working for free. Even if I have to fix and finish loading my car half an hour before start time, you better believe it's getting coded in my board. The second I touch a package I'm on the clock.
You know that you get paid for moving packages while out on the route right? There's no need to move anything before start time.

box_beeyotch

You know that you get paid for moving packages while out on the route right? There's no need to move anything before start time.

I'm aware, that's exactly why I said I dont come in and sort before, but when it's 10 min to start time and you have 200 pieces stacked out behind your truck, punch in and load up. They never question when you code as safety.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm aware, that's exactly why I said I dont come in and sort before, but when it's 10 min to start time and you have 200 pieces stacked out behind your truck, punch in and load up. They never question when you code as safety.

Look at it this way.....there are lots of things that a driver can do to show up on management's radar. Therefore there are always lots of drivers on that radar and you can get away with certain things for a while but what you are doing will eventually get noticed.

box_beeyotch

Look at it this way.....there are lots of things that a driver can do to show up on management's radar. Therefore there are always lots of drivers on that radar and you can get away with certain things for a while but what you are doing will eventually get noticed.

I know that, that's good advice, but the fact is everyone is on the radar always, its all about who you are and what they want to make stick. I try not to be too over paranoid about things. It is what it is, it's my job not my entire life.

By The Book

I would ask your supervisor when you feel the need to do this, and they may come to you as well. Do it on as as needed basis, and all will be good. Sometimes this puts you on the radar for taking your lunch at the wrong time. Your point about no doing any work without being on the clock and paid is (the point). So drivers, please resist the urge to sort your trucks before start time. There is no excuse for this.

box_beeyotch

I would ask your supervisor when you feel the need to do this, and they may come to you as well. Do it on as as needed basis, and all will be good. Sometimes this puts you on the radar for taking your lunch at the wrong time. Your point about no doing any work without being on the clock and paid is (the point). So drivers, please resist the urge to sort your trucks before start time. There is no excuse for this.

All the newer cover drivers seem to do just that. Guess they care about their numbers than their paycheck.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I thought PAS was supposed to guarantee zero misloads and perfect loads? Next thing you're going to tell me is ORION doesn't work as promised.

BrownTexas

Working in your truck before start time and coding it as safety without supervisor knowledge is a slam dunk case of dishonesty with immediate termination. Hope u can use some unpaid time off. Only a matter of time til someone notices.

40 and out

Where I am, Safety can only be used for SAFETY MEETINGS. Code it out for any other reason and discipline will follow. Code out anything without mgmt approval will get you a minimum of a warning letter. Very easy for them to call it dishonesty. Actually very easy to call almost anything dishonesty. Union should have never agreed to a contract with dishonesty as a cardinal sin.

box_beeyotch

Where I am, Safety can only be used for SAFETY MEETINGS. Code it out for any other reason and discipline will follow. Code out anything without mgmt approval will get you a minimum of a warning letter. Very easy for them to call it dishonesty. Actually very easy to call almost anything dishonesty. Union should have never agreed to a contract with dishonesty as a cardinal sin.

They have us code A LOT of things that aren't safety related to approved meetings from the PCM to preload or local sort time if you are asked to work them. It's ok for them to be dishonest though so that's no big deal.