Business heavy routes

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Why do some of you like business routes?
I’ve been stuck covering this bulky ass city route last few weeks and it sucks nards. Peak volume, god awful load quality and not enough bodies is a bad combo for this route, stuck doing ALL businesses and 3/4 of the pickups that are normally split to two routes. Had to get bailed out by multiple guys every day except Wednesday this last week...and I made service myself but punched out at 10 that day. Everybody knows it’s bs and have been really cool about helping me out but I’ve learned my lesson....I’m damn close to getting my own permanent route but I will never bid on a business route....can’t even listen to music until the resis cause I get too distracted dealing with all the psycho drivers on their cell phones and never looking left right left. Stresses me out

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I’ve been stuck covering this bulky ass city route last few weeks and it sucks nards. Peak volume, god awful load quality and not enough bodies is a bad combo for this route, stuck doing ALL businesses and 3/4 of the pickups that are normally split to two routes. Had to get bailed out by multiple guys every day except Wednesday this last week...and I made service myself but punched out at 10 that day. Everybody knows it’s bs and have been really cool about helping me out but I’ve learned my lesson....I’m damn close to getting my own permanent route but I will never bid on a business route....can’t even listen to music until the resis cause I get too distracted dealing with all the psycho drivers on their cell phones and never looking left right left. Stresses me out
A heavy pick up industrial route can more easily control your dispatch if done correctly.

Phenom5

Had a route that had 80+ commercial stops. About 140 total. 3 pick ups. Had upscale restaurants on my route. When I took my wife there they would give me 50% off.

542thruNthru

Like @MyTripisCut said its much easier to control your dispatch especially if you're on 9.5. Also more industrial routes where I am punch out at 6pm on the dot every day because of air.

ManInBrown

When I first started in package I got parked on a heavy business route. Driver was on comp. It sucked. Driver was a runner. Went out with 95-100 stops and 38 pickups. 70 of the 95-100 were heavy business. Problem is the runner would call most the pickups every day to see if they had anything going out. I dropped anchor and they had to send help every day At 2pm to get the business savers off because I took meal. I wasn’t calling anyone. Went to every pickup. The only saving grace was the loader was great. was loaded to perfection. Never had to search for anything.

Routes like this are horrible IMO. It’s always something every day, forget about needing help. There’s always a pickup that‘s shipping 10x their normal amount, or they are closing early. My last route in package before feeders was so cushy. 120 stops. 28-30 business. The rest residential. 8 super light pickups that I could grab anytime I wanted after 5pm. All were left outside, or inside a business lobby. You always want routes with the fewest pickups as possible.

Let me give all the package drivers a tip. Put your name on the feeder list. I work 43-45 hours a week without a care in the world and haven’t touched cardboard in 2 years. About 18 months ago I was pulling a rail off the door and the idiot loader didn’t put a load bar on. Swing door. A package fell out and I just left it on the ground in the yard. My days of touching cardboard are over. I wasn’t walking back to grab it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Those that preferred a downtown / business route usually did so because they were afraid of getting lost in the suburbs or country. Thats the way it used to be but now with UPS technology holding your hand and leading you to your next stop and telling you how many packages you have I can't see any reason to stay on one of those god forsaken routes. We had a guy who stayed on the town route for his whole 30 years except for 3 days when he bid on a rural route. Poor kid almost died trying to figure out how to run rurals.

ManInBrown

There’s only one thing heroes at UPS get. More work. Hero’s at UPS are the biggest suckers in the world. Management and hourlies that do the job the right way, are laughing at you every day. I promise you, When they have their little meeting in the center manager’s office in the morning, they’re laughing at you.

ManInBrown

There are two types of hourly drivers at UPS that you can’t help. There’s the driver who shows up 90 minutes before the start time and he’s frantically searching thru this load FOR FREE to pick out misloads, and there’s the 20 year driver who’s pacing back and forth in front of the computers Biting his/her fingernails watching the stops pile up. I never minded the brand new guy showing up doing this stuff, but how you going to be driver with seniority, and do this? How do you arrive at that point, with all the knowledge you have about how the company operates? You’re bulletproof. Don’t kill anyone, don’t get into a fistfight, don’t steal, and don’t get into an accident and not report it. That’s it. End of story. You‘re bulletproof It’s amazing. Two specific types of package drivers, that are so far gone, they can’t be helped. And what always got me, was the guy that had been there forever, pacing back and forth. It drove me nuts. People begged me to run for shop steward. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t deal with all the drivers that were such sissy’s that I knew I could never change.

Phenom5

Had a route that had 80+ commercial stops. About 140 total. 3 pick ups. Had upscale restaurants on my route. When I took my wife there they would give me 50% off.
my route now is like 1/3 industrial and the rest resis. I get so many tips now my wife response is "dont these people know how much yall make?"

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I have an industrial park heavy route that no one wanted with around 25 pickups (which is a ton for my center) including one that sends out about 50-75 NDAs. The morning is bulk dock stops, followed by a strip mall stop, about 25 resis then lunch from about 2-3pm then 25 straight pickups until 6pm and back at the building by 6:30.

The key is to be brisk but methodical and TAKE YOUR DAMN LUNCH at some point in the middle of the day and get on the 9.5 list. Its amazing how I have stops or non-air pickups magically come out of my board if I'm heavy and say I'm going to be back after the air car leaves. "Why is HE getting back so early? That's not fair blah blah."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Had one I was on for close to 10 years, paid me out over 2K every year in tips.
Yep. I ran country routes and liked them, but I finished up my time in delivery in town with no regrets. Walked into one place at peak and the owner handed me $300, walked into another store and the manager handed me an empty shopping bag and said fill it up with whatever you want, on and on, I needed a wheel barrow to haul all my loot home at the end of the day.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
There’s only one thing heroes at UPS get. More work. Hero’s at UPS are the biggest suckers in the world. Management and hourlies that do the job the right way, are laughing at you every day. I promise you, When they have their little meeting in the center manager’s office in the morning, they’re laughing at you.
DC9B6341-DD3C-4A4C-98C1-ADD56BD95E31.jpeg
I’m no hero but I DID just get some hero pay 👍

Poop Head

Judge me.
Yep. I ran country routes and liked them, but I finished up my time in delivery in town with no regrets. Walked into one place at peak and the owner handed me $300, walked into another store and the manager handed me an empty shopping bag and said fill it up with whatever you want, on and on, I needed a wheel barrow to haul all my loot home at the end of the day.
Take care of your customers, they will take care of you

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Those that preferred a downtown / business route usually did so because they were afraid of getting lost in the suburbs or country. Thats the way it used to be but now with UPS technology holding your hand and leading you to your next stop and telling you how many packages you have I can't see any reason to stay on one of those god forsaken routes. We had a guy who stayed on the town route for his whole 30 years except for 3 days when he bid on a rural route. Poor kid almost died trying to figure out how to run rurals.
All our rookies cry if they have to drive a rental because theres no cradle telling them where the stops are. Pathetic.

Est.1998

welcome to my world.