Business Journal - Here's The Story Behind The Strike That Got 250 UPS Workers Fired

island1fox

Too me, this agreement doesn't seem to have needed 10 hours to come too, let alone month and a half. Common sense outcome really. If we know the whole agreement or not, is another thing.

UPS didn't want to give the local any credibility or win for getting this agreement. How many times did we hear about L804 have meetings/talks with UPS? Not much after first day. All we heard were rallies and public outcry. L804 didn't want the Int's help, because they wanted the win.
ups,

Think about this. I do not know if you are in 804 0r not.

A poster -804--claimed that Local- 804 placed a discharged UPS driver -Liam --into his old Center --as a Business Agent --to --Quote-"Stick it in the Companies Eye "

Do you really think that UPS would not respond or just sit down and meet with Local 804 and resolve the issue ??

Never was going to happen --make fun of Hoffa and Hall all you want ---it was the International that saved the jobs of the 250 !!! Even with that said ----no one--Company nor Union --were going to agree in ten hours to kiss and make up --there had to be a significant cooling off period.

upschuck

ups,

Think about this. I do not know if you are in 804 0r not.

A poster -804--claimed that Local- 804 placed a discharged UPS driver -Liam --into his old Center --as a Business Agent --to --Quote-"Stick it in the Companies Eye "

Do you really think that UPS would not respond or just sit down and meet with Local 804 and resolve the issue ??

Never was going to happen --make fun of Hoffa and Hall all you want ---it was the International that saved the jobs of the 250 !!! Even with that said ----no one--Company nor Union --were going to agree in ten hours to kiss and make up --there had to be a significant cooling off period.
I think we agree on this issue. Nothing I said contradicts what you are saying.

island1fox

Why are we able to change our start times on the Diad and Ivis? UPS is lazy, that's why. Take upstate. He starts at 9 on Mondays and 940 the rest of the week. It's easier for UPS to allow him to change his start time every day than do the responsible thing and take this option of changing start times away and adjusting start times themselves. Then they claim a rogue employee did it on his own after being warned not to. His word against management word.

Now I'm not positive here, but I'd bet upstate s Diad says start time of 940, but every Monday he has to change it to an earlier time of 9. That's how it was when I was in package. So maybe 804 guy didn't do anything wrong.

QKR,

Some of the thought process on here amazes me.

Lets see --you own the Bank --you give permission to an Employee to make a withdrawal.
The Employee proceeds to make withdrawals from your account whenever he feels like it.
When you call the Police --they come -take all your employees out of the Bank and close you down ???
They claim because you gave the employee permission --ONCE--He could do it whenever he pleased ???

I see it clearly now --Local 804 did NOTHING wring ?????

I believe in Upstate's case--It is a standing agreement from both --Company and Employee that Monday will be a different starting time than the rest of the week---also for the BENEFIT--of both !!

It really is that simple !!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
QKR,

Some of the thought process on here amazes me.

Lets see --you own the Bank --you give permission to an Employee to make a withdrawal.
The Employee proceeds to make withdrawals from your account whenever he feels like it.
When you call the Police --they come -take all your employees out of the Bank and close you down ???
They claim because you gave the employee permission --ONCE--He could do it whenever he pleased ???

I see it clearly now --Local 804 did NOTHING wring ?????

I believe in Upstate's case--It is a standing agreement from both --Company and Employee that Monday will be a different starting time than the rest of the week---also for the BENEFIT--of both !!

It really is that simple !!

It's really not that simple.
In UpState's, or in anybody's case, all it takes is for a supervisor to "piss backwards" on that employee and say they never gave permission.
That's why you're better off not making side deals, but if you do, have it in writing or witnessed by a steward or a group of your peers.

Just because you may have been beyond reproach during your tenure, it doesn't mean that all supervisors are by virtue of their title.
This is where your thought process amazes me.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Just because a driver comes in early doesn't make him the one that should be able to start early. Management should go and ask everyone present in seniority order if they want to be put on the clock, should the event arise that they need help on the preload. And included in this, a driver should not just load his truck, he should help out where help is needed.

Seniority is never followed in these "start early" procedures deemed necessary by management. It is the responsibility of the Union (Drivers) to see that these procedures are handled correctly. Supes will target anyone that they know will not cause a disruption in Union affairs. In short, they will get the "best" employee (driver) to fit their needs and any driver who sees this action should be filing grievances post haste.

Rainman

Its all good.
This is not necessarily true. We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:25 the rest of the week. Our DIADs are set at 9:25 so we have to change our start times on Monday. We also change our start times for training---we enter the time spent on training under Other Work. I am on the Safety Committee and change my start time for meetings and setting up demonstrations.

It sounds like Reyes was given the OK in the past to change his start time to sort his pkg/help his loader and figured it was OK to keep doing it as needed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Same in my building.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In UpState's, or in anybody's case, all it takes is for a supervisor to "piss backwards" on that employee and say they never gave permission.
That's why you're better off not making side deals, but if you do, have it in writing or witnessed by a steward or a group of your peers.

Just because you may have been beyond reproach during your tenure, it doesn't mean that all supervisors are by virtue of their title.

It's not a side deal. We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:25 the rest of the week. Rather than have the OMS change all of the start times on Monday we are instructed to do it before punching in.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It's not a side deal. We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:25 the rest of the week. Rather than have the OMS change all of the start times on Monday we are instructed to do it before punching in.
Then I'm thinking your official start time is 9:25 and if a driver didn't feel like coming in until 9:25 on Mondays management wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

oldngray

nowhere special
You go by your posted start time, not the time in DIAD. If your scheduled start time is different than the time programmed into DIAD then you change it.

Inthegame

In this instant case (where have I heard that before) it is simple if Upstate were in the Central as you are Mr Bubble. CRT Art 12 Sec 4 allows early start on Monday for Pkg drivers, so no "side deal" exists. But your warning is worthwhile as Upstate puts way too much trust in untrustworthy people.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In this instant case (where have I heard that before) it is simple if Upstate were in the Central as you are Mr Bubble. CRT Art 12 Sec 4 allows early start on Monday for Pkg drivers, so no "side deal" exists. But your warning is worthwhile as Upstate puts way too much trust in untrustworthy people.
I question that assessment ... Dave seems to put little faith in all the locker room lawyers here on Brown Cafe.

Inthegame

I question that assessment ... Dave seems to put little faith in all the locker room lawyers here on Brown Cafe.
Touche mon ami, but your clever wit aside, Upstate may suffer the consequences of his actions which is what Bubble, myself and many other "locker room lawyers" have seen happen too often.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe the scenario that precipitated the original termination in 804 is covered by Art 3 sec 16 in the Central Region Supplement, extra work.
This makes it not an extra contractual agreement or an Article 12 violation, as long as seniority is recognized among the employees who are present and available and qualified to perform the extra work.
What I don't know is if there is parallel language in Local 804?
I suspect there is.

P.S. Art 12 sec 4 in the Central only provides for an earlier start time on Monday with approval of the Local Union, when merchandise is available for dispatch.
Above all that article provides for a uniform scheduled start for full time employees, a right that is being ignore on a whole sale level here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If you're changing it to your posted, scheduled start time due to it being wrong in the DIAD, I agree.