Buyouts official plan announcement

vantexan

Interesting detail is that if you have 20 years of continuous service plus at least one day, then for purposes of the buyout you'd have 21 years and get 21 months, not 20, of pay.

Should correct this. The buyout is based on years of continuous service as of 11/30/2012. If you have a partial year it will count as a full year for purposes of determining years of continuous service. For example if your hire date anniversary is 10/31 and you have 15 years as of that day, the month of November will count as one more year so you'd have 16 years. One day of service beyond your hire date anniversary is enough to get one more year so if you were hired on 11/29 you are in luck, one extra year.

Goldilocks

Should correct this. The buyout is based on years of continuous service as of 11/30/2012. If you have a partial year it will count as a full year for purposes of determining years of continuous service. For example if your hire date anniversary is 10/31 and you have 15 years as of that day, the month of November will count as one more year so you'd have 16 years. One day of service beyond your hire date anniversary is enough to get one more year so if you were hired on 11/29 you are in luck, one extra year.

Van, from what I have read, people that are eligable will recieve an email.

vantexan

I didn't see that. Everyone eligible will receive a packet in the mail in February. Was that in the updated Q&A dated 12/17? It states that all FT and PT employees, hourly and salaried, with at least 5 continuous years of service are eligible, but it will be on a workgroup by workgroup basis. Depended on staffing needs as to how many in a workgroup will be allowed to take it, and based on seniority if more want it than allowed from that workgroup. It did say some workgroups may be "carved out" from participating due to operational needs. I don't know if that's a blanket statement to exclude couriers or not. But I think it's definitely a packet coming to eligible employees in the mail, as they do with other things like your healthcare enrollment.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This is what they've been saying from the get-go, and that eligible employees would be notified. Since they have already said that couriers are not eligible, perhaps they didn't feel the need to spell it out again.

I wish I were wrong, but nobody other than the specific groups mentioned in the Bronczek memo is going to get a buyout.

vantexan

Looked at it again and you are right about the email. And most likely couriers won't get anything but just reading the Q&A it could be construed that we are eligible subject to operational needs. But it's a bit vague and probably intended to be to give them an out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Looked at it again and you are right about the email. And most likely couriers won't get anything but just reading the Q&A it could be construed that we are eligible subject to operational needs. But it's a bit vague and probably intended to be to give them an out.

I think you're correct that they are leaving themselves an out in case they need to start including other employee groups.

vantexan

Has anyone called about this?

I'm waiting until February to see if any offer is made. I don't get why the updated Q&A says that all FT and PT employees with 5+ years of continuous service are eligible if they have no intent to offer it to couriers. I don't think the economy is so good that they can count on attrition to reduce our numbers fast enough and if everyones' predictions come true then there are going to be a lot of couriers getting guaranteed pay in the near future. Quite a bit of talk about it at my station and the gist of it is the senior couriers would love to take it but can't due to family obligations, etc. I believe I'm the most senior person who would take it here.

Rhoderunner

Granted it's only been 1 week but the big slow down/drop off seems to have started for us. Lucky to get 38 hours last week !!! Interested in what Feb has to offer.

IsItME

Has anyone called the buyout hotline? From what they say, if you're on the list you get a buyout. I don't know anyone getting a buyout. Where did this damn list come from and I thought we'd be allowed to apply? gosh darn it....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Has anyone called the buyout hotline? From what they say, if you're on the list you get a buyout. I don't know anyone getting a buyout. Where did this damn list come from and I thought we'd be allowed to apply? gosh darn it....

They will notify you if you are eligible. There is no application process, only a decision window IF you get a packet. They have repeatedly stated in the past that couriers, RTD's and the like won't be getting an offer, only select administrative and hourly positions. The latest version doesn't say that, which has given a lot of hourlies hope that something is coming their way, which it probably isn't. They DO say that entire jobcodes will be cutout of the buyout....ineligible no matter how old you are or how many years of service you have.

Unionized companies have to offer buyouts because employees have a legal and binding contract. Guess what? We don't have anything, and if Fred wants to lay-off everyone tomorrow, he can, and there's nothing stopping him. They will do it through attrition, which they will accelerate by making the job as miserable as possible, cutting hours, and creating even more dumb policies that have intelligent people pulling their hair out.

Besides, if Fred buys you out, he won't be able to buy MT3 a new G650 Gulfstream. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong by Mr. Smith on buyouts, but consider everything he has done to you and taken away from you over the years. Do you really think he's going to pay you to leave?

IsItME

Thanks. I get all that. So what the hell are they talking about on the buyout hotline then? If you call up and they say you're not on the list, doesn't that mean youre screwed? Or, is that list something else? I'm not an hourly but I'd like to know like the entire company. Once I'm gone, I don't care what these criminals do for or to each other. Fred isn't laying off because there are 270,000 anti FedEx customers currently working for him and if he sets them free, word of mouth would destroy the company and they know it. We would all be loyal USPS and UPS advocates.
They will notify you if you are eligible. There is no application process, only a decision window IF you get a packet. They have repeatedly stated in the past that couriers, RTD's and the like won't be getting an offer, only select administrative and hourly positions. The latest version doesn't say that, which has given a lot of hourlies hope that something is coming their way, which it probably isn't. They DO say that entire jobcodes will be cutout of the buyout....ineligible no matter how old you are or how many years of service you have.

Unionized companies have to offer buyouts because employees have a legal and binding contract. Guess what? We don't have anything, and if Fred wants to lay-off everyone tomorrow, he can, and there's nothing stopping him. They will do it through attrition, which they will accelerate by making the job as miserable as possible, cutting hours, and creating even more dumb policies that have intelligent people pulling their hair out.

Besides, if Fred buys you out, he won't be able to buy MT3 a new G650 Gulfstream. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong by Mr. Smith on buyouts, but consider everything he has done to you and taken away from you over the years. Do you really think he's going to pay you to leave?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks. I get all that. So what the hell are they talking about on the buyout hotline then? If you call up and they say you're not on the list, doesn't that mean youre screwed? Or, is that list something else? I'm not an hourly but I'd like to know like the entire company. Once I'm gone, I don't care what these criminals do for or to each other. Fred isn't laying off because there are 270,000 anti FedEx customers currently working for him and if he sets them free, word of mouth would destroy the company and they know it. We would all be loyal USPS and UPS advocates.

The "Buyout Hotline" is a place where you can supposedly get your questions answered. Any questions are pretty much academic until you know whether or not you're on the list. If this program is anything like the last one, almost everyone eligible will take it because they want to leave so badly. The first buyout, which was management-only, was so "successful" that it gutted the company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I gave them my ID on the hotline and they told me I'm not on the list. I was close to vomiting.

Maybe you're one of the groups that are excluded. They've repeatedly said that any jobs they have to backfill-hire will NOT get offers. This would seem to me to be just about every frontline hourly. There are a lot of long-term Express managers making over 100k per year that they would love to get rid of. The problem is that when they leave, that your manager will likely have twice as many employees to manage than they previously had.

Don't give up hope yet, because they are known for reversing themselves with little notice, mainly because things usually don't work out well when the "plan" starts to get rolled-out. In other words, they are morons.

CJinx

Don't give up hope yet, because they are known for reversing themselves with little notice, mainly because things usually don't work out well when the "plan" starts to get rolled-out. In other words, they are morons.
because a package courier knows what it takes to run a multi-billion dollar company. lol

Goldilocks

OH SNAP, I called today and was told by, I dont know who but sound like a company hired to take care of this but not to answer any questions. lol.....They told me that I was not on the list but that did not mean anything. Very vague, but told me to call our HR manager and they DO know whats happening. Everything is suppose to surface on February 15.....