Bye Bye Pension and Hello to matching 401k coming in 2023?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
That's why they want the 22.4 jobs . They can pay you less and match your 401k less.
Its all about the shareholders, UPS should have stayed private, we all would have been rich beyond comprehension and the employees would have cared from day one just like Publix. All this uncontrollable confusion and bad unorganization never would have happened. All employees would have been able to afford to buy stock which would have made this company a well oiled machine

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Are you sure? Because if I live to age 90 I’ll burn through over 2.5 mil.
Your money makes money though, you don't withdraw it all at once. Your biggest concern, which the pension doesn't take into account, is inflation..... But you haven't taken social security into account so that could hedge it a bit.

Its all about the shareholders, UPS should have stayed private, we all would have been rich beyond comprehension and the employees would have cared from day one just like Publix. All this uncontrollable confusion and bad unorganization never would have happened. All employees would have been able to afford to buy stock which would have made this company a well oiled machine
The fat cats made a ton on that deal.

upsbeernut

Lets all face it , UPS is divided into three companies. We would never win if UPS had a football team. That word and its definition has been banned from its culture

upsbeernut

They don't want the union cause of fairness and reality. Its gonna blow up in their face cause if you want more volume you have to stop and fix the small problems then the big ones go away. The big word that's non existent is respect.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
If ups didn’t bail out the teamsters , the largest union of UPS teamster employees, central states, would have nothing to retire with soon.
Let’s keep digging our own grave teamsters

Tony Q

Whether or not this contract passes, the pension as we know will be replaced by a matching 401K in 2023 IMHO. I just wonder who gets grandfathered and who joins the matching 401K, would it be as simple as if your not vested by 2023 you go directly into the new plan? What would happen to most us who have more than 5 yrs with the company? This is all hypothetical, but I think the writing is on the wall. Especially after reading the memorandum of understanding.
Total misinformation, but if you want to listen to this then you are part of the real problem. We cant save members from themselves.

CoffeeStainedUniform

I'd swap my pension for a 10-15% 401k match and be thrilled with the switch. I'm not sure how converting our annuities(pensions) over but I'm sure it could be done effectively.

Give a grandfathered option to all who are current employees to choose which plan they want. I think that would be a good way to make the move to a better/more modern retirement system.