CAFE standards kill

bbsam

Staff member
Great, no problem then.

So you were against the Obama regulations....
No problem at all.

As far as the Obama regulations, didn’t care one way or another.

I think you’re making this political when it isn’t. It’s just not the kind of thing that can easily change with political winds. In fact, business should be ready for the most restrictive standards at all times or they’ll just be left trying to catch up.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No problem at all.

As far as the Obama regulations, didn’t care one way or another.

I think you’re making this political when it isn’t. It’s just not the kind of thing that can easily change with political winds. In fact, business should be ready for the most restrictive standards at all times or they’ll just be left trying to catch up.
So many contradictions in that post.

bbsam

Staff member
So many contradictions in that post.
It’s like this:

Let’s say Ford has a mandated product line mpg target of 30 mpg by 2025. The president backs that number off to 25 mpg.

All goes well until 2028 when a new administration changes the target to 34 mpg. Well, Chevy, Honda, and the other major players have been sitting at 30 and anticipating higher for years. So now Ford is sitting behind the 8 ball and playing a very expensive game of catch up.

Why would a company do that?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It’s like this:

Let’s say Ford has a mandated product line mpg target of 30 mpg by 2025. The president backs that number off to 25 mpg.

All goes well until 2028 when a new administration changes the target to 34 mpg. Well, Chevy, Honda, and the other major players have been sitting at 30 and anticipating higher for years. So now Ford is sitting behind the 8 ball and playing a very expensive game of catch up.

Why would a company do that?
You're making a great argument for not setting these standards at all.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The issue is Drumpafaloopa is fixing a problem that doesn’t exist.

He’s rolling back regulations that the industry’s being regulated agree with.

TTKU
I'm not sure if you realize this, but AMERICAN companies have been getting out of the small car market. We make trucks and SUVs.

Mandating average mpg across the entire fleet they sell hurts American companies because of the types of vehicles they sell.

You don't speak for the "industry", but I'm sure the Asians agree with you.

BrownArmy

I'm not sure if you realize this, but AMERICAN companies have been getting out of the small car market. We make trucks and SUVs.

Mandating average mpg across the entire fleet they sell hurts American companies because of the types of vehicles they sell.

You don't speak for the "industry", but I'm sure the Asians agree with you.

Lulz, how’s that working for the American car industry?

Ford is basically junk-bond status at this point, etc.

If they’re going to compete at all, my guess is ‘standing still’ isn’t going to work.