California drivers!!

upsgrunt

I made the deal with my drivers that they could take 1/2 hour lunch (minimum), but with the stipulation that their SPORH would not drop, and on light days they must take more time (1 hour max) to fill gaps between del's and p/u's.

Why would taking a lunch, any amount of time, make your sporh drop? It should not and can not make a difference to stops per hour.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I think it depends on your local agreement.

In So. Cal. we get two 15 min. paid breaks after the 2nd and 6th hr. and must start our 30 min. unpaid lunch between the 4th and 5th hr. If you work over 10 hours we are to take another 10 min paid break. For over 12 hrs. we must take a 2nd unpaid 30 min, meal period 4 to 5 hours after our first meal period ended. Also, we cannot be on the clock (punch in to punch out) for more than 13.99 hrs(12.99 paid).

browndevil

I think BD is in East Bay and he said they have to take the full hour. (Working on his abs and crossword puzzles!)
Ya keeping my head and body healthy! Here is some more great font! BTW I think the union wants the hour lunch because it may affect business routes (i.e possible service failures) We still have a layoff list so I am for all for getting these guys back to work and building more routes.

Try to enjoy the hour your body will thank you!

Thunder showers all day today WOOHOO!

Hangingon

Ours is 60 minutes unpaid, 10 paid. If you don't take it by 5pm they send you a message reminding you to record it. It would be nice if we only had to take 30 minutes. Over 9.5 paid is an automatic warning letter (failure to follow instructions).

helenofcalifornia

You see, now that's what I am talking about! Socal gets to take 1/2 hour and Norcal must commit to the full hour. So is it a Union enforced issue or a UPS Division/District thang.

If we all wanted to get the layed off drivers back, we all should have signed the 9.5 list and then they would have had to put more trucks on the road. Layoffs increasing this next week.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You see, now that's what I am talking about! Socal gets to take 1/2 hour and Norcal must commit to the full hour. So is it a Union enforced issue or a UPS Division/District thang.

If we all wanted to get the laid off drivers back, we all should have signed the 9.5 list and then they would have had to put more trucks on the road. Layoffs increasing this next week.
And if everyone only takes a 20 minute lunch that could lead to more layoffs!

The contract is not perfect by far, but we have to take the good with the bad. I understand that its hard to sit there for an hour and do nothing but this language helps to keep in routes if everyone follows it.

Failure Boy

Sounds good to me, actually...
In France, we've got the 2 hour mandatory break. Unpaid.
We can take less (and then get paid for extra work) only if justified : late feeders, too many deliveries, whatever...

Two hour break is just soooooo long if you don't come back home or get to eat with other drivers...
I would love that 30 min / 1 hour thing, guys...

helenofcalifornia

Failure Boy, you are kidding, right?

If not, I would be very interested in hearing how life is for you as a French UPSer. What kind of uniform do you wear? I bet it is more stylish, pleats, darts, etc. Tangent.

Failure Boy

What kind of uniform do you wear? I bet it is more stylish, pleats, darts, etc. Tangent.

I'm sorry to break some cliches here, but :
- no, we don't wear over-fashionable uniforms
- we don't spend our 2 hour break walking thru Le Louvre Museum or walking around the Eiffel Tower
- we don't smoke cigarettes with classy women talking about philosophy
- we don't get on strike when that one package is a little too heavy...

:wink2:

Cliches taken apart, I'm afraid we're doing the same work :
- All UPS drivers are required to wear the brown uniform & black safety shoes
- we're mostly driving "small" Mercedes package cars called P47
- the "Synchronizing the business world" is written in french on the package cars...
- all overly dangerous areas & non-profitable areas are done by sub-contractors
- i guess it's a 40% UPS for 60% subs
- drivers wages are good
- PCMs, failures, SPORH, the whole stuff, we've got it !

What else do you need to know ?
Just feel free to ask, i'll be glad to share...but mostly doing the same job.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm sorry to break some cliches here, but :
- no, we don't wear over-fashionable uniforms
- we don't spend our 2 hour break walking thru Le Louvre Museum or walking around the Eiffel Tower
- we don't smoke cigarettes with classy women talking about philosophy
- we don't get on strike when that one package is a little too heavy...

:wink2:

Cliches taken apart, I'm afraid we're doing the same work :
- All UPS drivers are required to wear the brown uniform & black safety shoes
- we're mostly driving "small" Mercedes package cars called P47
- the "Synchronizing the business world" is written in french on the package cars...
- all overly dangerous areas & non-profitable areas are done by sub-contractors
- i guess it's a 40% UPS for 60% subs
- drivers wages are good
- PCMs, failures, SPORH, the whole stuff, we've got it !

What else do you need to know ?
Just feel free to ask, i'll be glad to share...but mostly doing the same job.

What sort of areas are these? You mean ghetto's? The hood?

QKRSTKR

Is the hour lunch thing just in CA? In our supplem. it says unpaid meal period. Doesn't specify how long.

Employees shall be entitled to and required to take an unpaid meal period between 3rd and 6th hour of work.

(c.)local past practice shall prevail regarding the duration of the meal and rest periods.

I've on busy days only put in 15 minutes and center manager hasn't ever said anything

daiku

In Nor Cal the Feeder drivers get to take 1/2 an hour. The package HAVE to take an hour. This is SOLELY the unions fault. I have filed grievances to stop this practice and I am a steward...
The header is pretty misleading. In CA the company DEDUCTED 1 hour every day whether you took your lunch or not. We used to sit around at 7 and 8 and take our lunch at the building at the end of the shift so we would not lose out on that money. Had the company just allowed us to take thirty we would have gladly. The REAL problem is the language in the contract folks: If your sup or manager asks you to take 1/2 hour then you are to be PAID 1/2 hour at an overtime rate for what you did not take....THAT is why the company did not want to address the issue. The locals all say that taking lunch will decrease the amount of drivers in the company, ( which really means decreasing the amount of money they can get at a higher pay rate for dues)
ALSO California LAW was broken which is why the suit was filed against the company. Each state has different laws for lunch period. I am led to believe any area that is allowed to take less than 30 minutes the company is NOT breaking the law. And any area that now HAS to take the full hour may want to read up on their state policy. And consider filing a lawsuit for all the time lost when the company violated state law. The lawyers got most of it to no surprise, but we had checks in CA from the hundreds to 20K. It did not get the time back lost with family, but it did make the company follow the law and I get my time in the day to rest.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Dangerous areas = yep, da "Hood" where we can't guarantee safety for both drivers & company vehicules

Non-profitable areas = mostly countryside & areas too far away from the center (lot of driving, not that many stops)

Ahhh, gotcha, just never think about France having bad neighborhoods, is all. Thanks for the info, Oui?:wink2:

hdkappler

some of the guys at my old center say they only have to take 10min.break.if they enforced 1hour some of them would presheet stops then del.stops on lunch.then stop complete after the hour.unless they would catch them working off the clock.