California

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.ocregister.com/news/city-321637-verify-bill.html

[h=1]State law bans mandatory illegal worker checks in O.C.[/h]
A new law signed by Gov. Jerry Brown over the weekend will impact some Orange County cities that for years have forced businesses they contract with to use a federal system intended to weed out people working in the country illegally.
Touted as a way to unburden employees and help job growth, Assembly Bill 1236 prohibits the state, cities, counties and special districts from requiring employers to use E-Verify, a free Internet-based system that checks if a job applicant is allowed to legally work in the country.
This means that some cities in O.C, such as Orange, Mission Viejo, San Juan Capistrano, Yorba Linda and Placentia, will likely have to do away with clauses in some of their city contracts that require employers they do business with to use the federal tool.
City officials said Wednesday they would revisit the issue and most likely comply with the new law set to go into effect Jan. 1. Some expressed disappointment.
"I wish the state of California would just take care of their own business and leave local governments to do what we do," Orange Mayor Carolyn Cavecche said.
The only exception to the state law is when required by federal law or for those who contract with the federal government.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
klein, you think Mexico is safer............Gunmen ambushed and killed three state prosecutors in front of a school in the border city of Juarez on Wednesday, authorities said.

The slain prosecutors were investigators for the office's anti-extortion unit, said Arturo Sandoval, spokesman for the Chihuahua State Attorney General's Office.

A 12-year-old was injured in the attack, witnesses said.

Students at the school, about 50 meters from the shooting scene, screamed as the sound of guns filled the air, according to witnesses.

Juarez is Mexico's most violent city and has become a symbol of the brutal realities of the nation's drug war, which has claimed more than 34,600 lives in less than five years.

moreluck

golden ticket member
While I'm on this thread : 8 dead now, due to the Hair Salon shooting. :(

The specifics of the story are important. It's an estranged couple in a custody battle over kids. This type of crime takes place anywhere where one of the parties works and involves anyone who happens to be in the area at the time. It's happened in court rooms when judges take away kids from one parent and gives them to the other. It's the crazy thinking of "If I can't have them, nobody can". It's called being in the wrong place at the wrong time and in the line of fire. It happens all over the world (Canada too).

So, quit keeping score....it's ghoulish!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
breen.gif

moreluck

golden ticket member
Do people even do their jobs anymore ????

State says 1,000 foster homes match sex-offender addresses - latimes.com

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would say, here's the Christian memorial and then see this empty space here right beside it with nothing in it? That's the memorial for atheists because they believe in nothing.

From the facebook comments in the link:
Barry NewmanAs a former Marine and an agnostic, I do not understand the atheist position on this. While on Federal land, a very small amount of space is used to display Christianity. As an atheist has beliefs in nothing, there is much more “nothing” displayed than there are signs of Christianity. Mr. Torpy and his following need to find a hobby to occupy their time rather than getting wrapped around the axle on a non-issue such as this.

I support Mr. Newman's opinion.

moreluck

golden ticket member
December 5, 2011 @ 3:50 pm | | 2 Comments »

California School Bans Poinsettias, Santa Claus Over Fears People Will Be Offended…

More PC lunacy.

Via Fox News’ Todd Starnes:

Controversy is embroiling a California town over allegations that elementary school teachers have been told they cannot display poinsettias or Santa Claus in their classroom over fears that it might offend people.

“District office would like to remind everyone when displaying holiday decorations in and around school to be mindful no association to any religious affiliation i.e. Santa, poinsettias, Christmas trees, etc,” read a document obtained by News 10 in Sacramento that was reportedly sent to teachers at Claudia Landeen Elementary School in Stockton, CA.

The same document said holiday decorations like snowmen and snowflakes were appropriate for grade school classrooms.

Tom Uslan, the superintendent of the Lincoln Unified School District, told News 10 “there is a myriad of religious affiliations (in the community). . . we don’t want a pervasive theme of a class to be representing one religious affiliation

moreluck

golden ticket member
Calif. senator threatens boycott over Lowe's ads - Yahoo! News

Shoot, I'll make extra trips to Lowe's to support them!!

Lowes rocks!!! I will no longer go to Home Depot. :)
I had already switched to Lowes for most purchases, specially wood. My problem with the switch is Lowes is on the other side of town and HD is 5 blocks away.

Lowes should be allowed to advertise where, when and how they please, it is their money.

On the other hand, the weirdo senator has the right to not shop at lowes. Not too sure it is appropriate for an elected official to organize a boycott on a legal business.