California

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
California Is a Cautionary Tale for America

In a series of tweets, Donald Trump has depicted California as a "cautionary tale" for the rest of the United States, as CalMatters recently noted. As is often the case with this president, his ideas are a mixed bag and his incendiary approach is less than constructive. But, as someone who has been writing about California's policies for two decades, I concede that he makes a valid point.

California bounds from one crisis to another, with most of them being self-imposed. The latest one involves the raging wildfires that turned our air into a putrid soup. Obviously, heatwaves and high winds were the proximate cause, but poor land management, ill-conceived liability and insurance laws, and the misuse of existing firefighting budgets are the fundamental problems.

The governor and his party always view the private sector as a threat and the government as a solution. Yet everything our government touches turns into a disaster.

Nevertheless, California's leaders brag that our state is the fifth-largest economy and that other states should emulate its modelā€”from banning internal-combustion vehicles to limiting companies' ability to use contractors as workers. I look at the state's failures and crises and have to agree that California is more of a cautionary tale than a model. It's certainly not Detroit, but don't forget that 60 years ago Detroit was one of the nation's great cities.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
trumps America.
Sorry, but that would be Gavin Mussolini's America along with Fires, High taxes, Sanctuary State status, keeping the lockdown in forever mode crushing businesses, and school children. All kinds of people are moving out, it is in the news here every day. This is what we get when there isn't a balance of power. It's a shame, I've lived here all my life and it's as if they're trying to push normal, hard-working people out.

MAKAVELI

California Is a Cautionary Tale for America

In a series of tweets, Donald Trump has depicted California as a "cautionary tale" for the rest of the United States, as CalMatters recently noted. As is often the case with this president, his ideas are a mixed bag and his incendiary approach is less than constructive. But, as someone who has been writing about California's policies for two decades, I concede that he makes a valid point.

California bounds from one crisis to another, with most of them being self-imposed. The latest one involves the raging wildfires that turned our air into a putrid soup. Obviously, heatwaves and high winds were the proximate cause, but poor land management, ill-conceived liability and insurance laws, and the misuse of existing firefighting budgets are the fundamental problems.

The governor and his party always view the private sector as a threat and the government as a solution. Yet everything our government touches turns into a disaster.

Nevertheless, California's leaders brag that our state is the fifth-largest economy and that other states should emulate its modelā€”from banning internal-combustion vehicles to limiting companies' ability to use contractors as workers. I look at the state's failures and crises and have to agree that California is more of a cautionary tale than a model. It's certainly not Detroit, but don't forget that 60 years ago Detroit was one of the nation's great cities.
Wildfires are not self imposed. Ttku...