Calling all preloaders (loaders) quick question on volume

llamainmypocket

The best way to see how hard your cars are is to watch someone else pull that assignment. Package count means nothing. Boxes come in all shapes, sizes, weights, in different flows and into different size cars. Even the driver can be a factor in your assignment.

I think at UPS, what makes an assignment difficult is what makes it impossible to do. Then you just find a way to do it.

Often times mine isn't possible either but i still do it and pull every label, put every box in order, and leave my drivers happy. How do i do it if it's impossible? On bad days, car#1 gets stacked under the belt until a point when i have time. As bad as that seems, it allows me to keep clean and finish up faster than if I'm stacked out 6 feet high on all four cars.

But anyway, 950 packages over 4-4½ hours seems about right. Not everyone is that heavy but not everyone can work a hard assignment.

llamainmypocket

The best way to see how hard your cars are is to watch someone else pull that assignment. Package count means nothing. Boxes come in all shapes, sizes, weights, in different flows and into different size cars. Even the driver can be a factor in your assignment.

I think at UPS, what makes an assignment difficult is what makes it impossible to do. Then you just find a way to do it.

Often times mine isn't possible either but i still do it and pull every label, put every box in order, and leave my drivers happy. How do i do it if it's impossible? On bad days, car#1 gets stacked under the belt until a point when i have time. As bad as that seems, it allows me to keep clean and finish up faster than if I'm stacked out 6 feet high on all four cars.

But anyway, 950 packages over 4-4½ hours seems about right. Not everyone is that heavy but not everyone can work a hard assignment.

Also, im not suggesting you stack out like me. UPS runs everything so tight that it can't work on most assignments. Car#1 for me just happens to be light enough and compact enough to get away with it. You just need to figure it out. It may be as simple as keeping your feet moving.

I had one assignment that the only way it worked is if i left my two bulk stops on the belt until i had an armfull. Then right into the shelf as a stack they'd go. That only worked because it was an end assignment.

If you have seniority then slow the :censored2: down so they will put someone else on one of them. You know what is about to happen? You are about to take on a 4th truck.
im in about 6months, hows my seniority looking..is there like a leaderboard to check everyones seniority or whats up about this seniority thing? sorry complete noob

HardknocksUPSer

the question is stated literally right there o_O..but 4-5 trucks holy :censored2: my respects you must understand my struggle
It is what it is, it's all about the methods, work against the belt and you'll kill yourself, work with the belt and use the proper methods and it will all be so much easier, it's never easy even with the methods but working the belt correctly can make it a lot easier, stay ahead of your work, if your at the tailend of it all then your screwed, keep your eye out up the belt for larger heavier than normal packages coming down the belt, I tend to try and work ahead of those to allow myself time to have a few extra seconds to get the irregular off the belt without getting behind, the harder your work the more they will give you. Go at a pace you can handle and keep the misloads down. You'll be okay.

y
I started out with five trucks, and did that for about five years. In the beginning it was job security because no one wanted to bump me out of my spot. In the end, working that much volume made me a good loader. When I'm not driving and I bump back inside, I can load any spot with ease.

And now my old spot is being loaded by two people.
mad respect, i think its always cool when i see a driver helping the loader in any way

It is what it is, it's all about the methods, work against the belt and you'll kill yourself, work with the belt and use the proper methods and it will all be so much easier, it's never easy even with the methods but working the belt correctly can make it a lot easier, stay ahead of your work, if your at the tailend of it all then your screwed, keep your eye out up the belt for larger heavier than normal packages coming down the belt, I tend to try and work ahead of those to allow myself time to have a few extra seconds to get the irregular off the belt without getting behind, the harder your work the more they will give you. Go at a pace you can handle and keep the misloads down. You'll be okay.
thanks for the advice man, i appreciate it! quick question though, when you say belt you also mean cages right? cause at the warehouse i work at i sort all my packages out of an assigned "cage"

Dude846

Backpacks with Jets
Depends. Mondays are the worst, by far.

I bounce between two hot boxes, loading pieces for other hubs.

@hardkocksupser: What do you mean 'work with the belt'?

HardknocksUPSer

thanks for the advice man, i appreciate it! quick question though, when you say belt you also mean cages right? cause at the warehouse i work at i sort all my packages out of an assigned "cage"
Can't help with that lol, I have no idea what a "cage" is, at my center we have a belt going down the middle of the center, package cars backed up to them, and loaders on both sides of the belt pulling stuff off the belt, at the top of the belt is a slide in which the packages slide down onto the belt, a splitter then splits the packages (in) or (out) inside of the belt being the right side and outside of the belt being the left side of the belt.

oldngray

nowhere special
Can't help with that lol, I have no idea what a "cage" is, at my center we have a belt going down the middle of the center, package cars backed up to them, and loaders on both sides of the belt pulling stuff off the belt, at the top of the belt is a slide in which the packages slide down onto the belt, a splitter then splits the packages (in) or (out) inside of the belt being the right side and outside of the belt being the left side of the belt.

Cages are part of a boxline. Used in larger preload operations too big to load from a belt.

HardknocksUPSer

Depends. Mondays are the worst, by far.

I bounce between two hot boxes, loading pieces for other hubs.

@hardkocksupser: What do you mean 'work with the belt'?
Work the belt meaning, let the belt do the hardest work for you, stay ahead of your belt, let heavy boxes ride down the belt until their directly in front of the truck it's going into instead of trying to push it down the belt to where it's going and then taking it off the belt into the package car, if say for instance I see I have a 20-25 peice bulk stop coming to my very last car, I'll walk up the belt 20-30ft and pull off the the packages I see for the other 4 cars I have and load them while letting the bulk stop ride down the belt , that way your not getting hit with the bulk stop and all the crap behind it at one time, it keeps you ahead of the game, that's "working the belt"

oldngray

nowhere special
Thanks for the pic! Do sorters/splitters stick the packages down into the cages? If so how does that work with larger irregs, rolls, and ect?

There is a slide at the end fed by belts where sorters put into cages. Irregs have to be handled separately and carted around to be loaded.

Last edited:

HardknocksUPSer

This a slide at the end fed by belts where sorters put into cages. Irregs have to be handled separately and carted around to be loaded.
Now I'm understand, yes a totally different concept to box lines, seems to me like I wouldn't exactly like that. I have so many irregs it's not even funny. It's hard to imagine how a "bulk stop" works with these cages lol

Now I'm understand, yes a totally different concept to box lines, seems to me like I wouldn't exactly like that. I have so many irregs it's not even funny. It's hard to imagine how a "bulk stop" works with these cages lol
any chance you can post a picture of how your center's boxlines are set up?? id really love that, my boxline is exactly what oldngray posted

HardknocksUPSer

any chance you can post a picture of how your center's boxlines are set up?? id really love that, my boxline is exactly what oldngray posted
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1429218875.522414.jpg