New preloader- please help lol

Jstpeachy

I started today on preload and got put loading 3 trucks. One was pretty easy, the next moderate amount of big heavy boxes but the 3rd was complete chaos. About 350 pcs on it with at least 1/3 being large very heavy pkgs in bulk RDL and RDR. I started stacking out beside the truck per advice of the Sup but it quickly got out of hand. After 3 hrs the guy across from me began shoving every pkg off the belt onto the floor. Any advice on how to avoid that mess? *looks for a serum to become the Hulk* Im a chick and not sure how to work around my lack of strength for repetitive large qty heavy boxes.

Jstpeachy

Lol it was a train wreck. The drivers came in and I just looked at them and said I’m sorry. Luckily they were cool and said the sups were stupid for putting a new hire on their trucks due to the way their routes are with the bulk heavy pkgs. two of them started helping me telling me not to quit just take it box by box.

Jstpeachy

lol after 12 years of exp my question would be irrelevant. Just trying not to suck since training is non existent at UPS. ‍♀️

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I started today on preload and got put loading 3 trucks. One was pretty easy, the next moderate amount of big heavy boxes but the 3rd was complete chaos. About 350 pcs on it with at least 1/3 being large very heavy pkgs in bulk RDL and RDR. I started stacking out beside the truck per advice of the Sup but it quickly got out of hand. After 3 hrs the guy across from me began shoving every pkg off the belt onto the floor. Any advice on how to avoid that mess? *looks for a serum to become the Hulk* Im a chick and not sure how to work around my lack of strength for repetitive large qty heavy boxes.

How big of an Ol gal are ya?

CoffeeStainedUniform

Ask if the driver does the rdr or rdl as his first stop. *If* it is, stack all of those outside for loading last. Get good at tetris and calm down. You'll be fine with a week or two experience.

turq

Don't get discouraged, pre-load is probably the hardest job at UPS. You are going to suck at it for awhile. It's important to know as drivers we look at our diad board and than have to go find the package's that you put into the truck. Also when we drive down the road, if the load is not lip loaded or somewhat secure the stuff goes flying all over. So try and being as accurate as possible on where you put things. Find out what bulk stops there are ahead of time, and if possible line those up outside the truck to save you room and time. You can load those at the end. Find the best pre-loader around you and ask them for help and tips. I have a great pre-loader right now. I never have to look for a single package and my truck is usually bulked out. Just hang in there and do the best you can...you will get better, even if the job doesn't.

Jstpeachy

I did lip load today I know I didn’t have 100% accuracy in order on shelves but I tried to get it as close as possible and wrote the 4 digit number from pal sticker big on box facing outwards. The driver mentioned bagging small items that go in the RDL section at the first bulk stop- I didn’t see any bags but guessing I’d just ask a sup for one?

turq

Yeah there are these big nylon bags....you can usually fine them near the clerk station, at least in the buildings i've been in. Tote boxes ( big cardboard boxes) work too. You can line them up under the belt. Anything you can do to save time is helpful. You don't need and won't get 100%, that's ok. But the right shelf and general vicinity is really helpful. Big boxes that won't fit on the shelf, can go on the floor preferably under where it would go on the shelf. I wouldn't worry too much about writing numbers on boxes, especially if it slows you down...but facing the labels towards the front of the truck, or up if the are on the floor, or so they can be seen by the driver is also helpful.

CoffeeStainedUniform

I did lip load today I know I didn’t have 100% accuracy in order on shelves but I tried to get it as close as possible and wrote the 4 digit number from pal sticker big on box facing outwards. The driver mentioned bagging small items that go in the RDL section at the first bulk stop- I didn’t see any bags but guessing I’d just ask a sup for one?
Lol those pics showed a different storp :P"

I driver would rather see a tower of packages outside his truck than the isleway filled up.

Jstpeachy

Good to know, I expected them to freak out on me lol but they just started helping. Thanks for the advice and answers. Start time is at 3am so we shall see how it goes

BiggieBrown

Those loads look good.
That's pretty much how the drivers load their own trucks with their pick-ups and that's usually the type of thing I see when I come in on sort to unload. The drivers are the leaders at UPS and lead by example and since that's how they load it then there's nothing wrong with your load.

Jstpeachy

I survived the second night/morning. used what y’all said here and only stacked out RDL and a couple of big items. The union rep works on My line and saw me this morning and said holy crap you came back after yesterday?! Everyone was a lot more helpful today with tips and stuff so I’m gonna stick with it. I appreciate the replies y’all