Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

vantexan

If route can consistently support X stops per hour, why is there an issue when the goal for that route is raised to X stope per hour?
The issue is if a courier is a slacker they never bother him. But if a courier really hustles they raise his numbers to see if they can get even more productivity out of him. If he about kills himself to match that they raise it yet again. Back when raises were in large part based on your numbers the guy that really worked hard didn't do any better than the slacker. And if he missed a day of work because he was so worn out he might not even get as good a raise as the slacker. At least now with automatic raises they've taken that foolishness out. Now it's just to hassle older employees into quitting so that they can be replaced with cheaper employees.

Oldfart

I hate it when bands pull that crap. There are "classic" bands that play in this area occasionally and it's a real member of the band plus some other guys that no one has heard of. I don't care that they play but change the dang name. You're a tribute band/cover band "featuring [insert real band member here]." Pet peeve.
Several original members in the band. They were formed in the 60's. Nothing wrong with the name carrying on after others passed on. Even the Beatles had a member that wasnt original. Great show in my opinion.

Oldfart

The issue is if a courier is a slacker they never bother him. But if a courier really hustles they raise his numbers to see if they can get even more productivity out of him. If he about kills himself to match that they raise it yet again. Back when raises were in large part based on your numbers the guy that really worked hard didn't do any better than the slacker. And if he missed a day of work because he was so worn out he might not even get as good a raise as the slacker. At least now with automatic raises they've taken that foolishness out. Now it's just to hassle older employees into quitting so that they can be replaced with cheaper employees.
LOL

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Several original members in the band. They were formed in the 60's. Nothing wrong with the name carrying on after others passed on. Even the Beatles had a member that wasnt original. Great show in my opinion.

They've got Rossington and I think some guy who was briefly a member before the first album. Akin to Billy Cox touring as the Jimi Hendrix Experience with another guitarist and a drummer. Don't have a problem with anything other than the exploitation of the name. I'm sure the shows are fine.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Cool story, bro.

bacha29

Considering it is quickly becoming industry standard there’s really no reason to be upset about it.
When you treat them like felons and pay them like felons all you're going to get are felons. You're the one who not long ago acknowledged the fact that manpower procurement was becoming more difficult.
Now when you combine your high production requirements, strict driver conduct, substandard pay and now finding a bunch of cameras stuck in your face the moment you open the truck door......well I can't help but think that for you manpower procurement just became a whole lot more challenging.

bbsam

Staff member
When you treat them like felons and pay them like felons all you're going to get are felons. You're the one who not long ago acknowledged the fact that manpower procurement was becoming more difficult.
Now when you combine your high production requirements, strict driver conduct, substandard pay and now finding a bunch of cameras stuck in your face the moment you open the truck door......well I can't help but think that for you manpower procurement just became a whole lot more challenging.
Let’s all just be glad that it’s a problem that you can sit back and blow out of proportion in your overactive imagination while the rest of us are making money.

bacha29

Let’s all just be glad that it’s a problem that you can sit back and blow out of proportion in your overactive imagination while the rest of us are making money.
Let's look at it this way. When one or more of your trucks sits loaded at the station and you have nobody to drive it what course of action do you take? Like most contractors you pull off the load and pile it onto your other tracks and expect them to work twice as hard and twice as late in the day? All for the same daily per diem?

It will be fine

I operate in the civilized world, every person over 9 years old has a video recorder on them. Every business has cameras watching outside their buildings and in their parking lots or docks. It’s just life at this point, I’ve had several drivers ask me when the cameras are coming because they would have helped them.

bbsam

Staff member
Let's look at it this way. When one or more of your trucks sits loaded at the station and you have nobody to drive it what course of action do you take? Like most contractors you pull off the load and pile it onto your other tracks and expect them to work twice as hard and twice as late in the day? All for the same daily per diem?
In 24 years, that’s happened exactly twice. Once two weeks ago. Me and two other guys stayed out late. I think we punched out at 17:45.

bbsam

Staff member
And yes, for the same pay per diem. There are a lot of days guys can and do get off by 3 so some days are going to suck.

bacha29

And yes, for the same pay per diem. There are a lot of days guys can and do get off by 3 so some days are going to suck.
Yes you're making money but I don't have the embarrassment of putting a War and Peace size set of demands in front of a prospective hire and in the end have to present him with a humiliating compensation package while praying to the box gods that he will take the offer because there simply is no one else and that that person will still have to meet with X's approval . And given the thousand plus contractors who have ads on just one of the major job boards all begging for help at ridiculously low wages I simply can't see how this situation is going to do anything accept get worse. And unfortunately you contractors are trapped right in the middle of what would appear to be a deteriorating labor situation.