Can a manager chime in on the madness of mandatory hr breaks?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Our station pushed back hard, and MD agreed to allow 30min, the only stipulation was if service started to fail(more than normal) they'd fall back to hr
They’ll try and come out and say service is failing but no one will believe ‘em because the company has lost all if its’ credibility. Now if the service really is failing it’s because of staffing issues or late freight. Both out of a courier’s control.

!Retired!

The policy is clear. They can implement (and un-implement) 60 minute breaks if they want.
2 questions
What policy is that exactly? I don't have access since I retired.
What would be the purpose of making someone take 60, when legally all they need is 30?

SmithBarney

2 questions
What policy is that exactly? I don't have access since I retired.
What would be the purpose of making someone take 60, when legally all they need is 30?
Doesn't matter the policy, if the company decides that a requirement of your route is to wear a pink shirt(or take 60 minutes for a break) they can do so. they are the employer and as long as their rules don't break the law, or violate your rights, they can set whatever weird rules they want.

One purpose is to keep employees out on road is to make sure there are extra bodies out there in the case of having to help others. If I finish at 1700, and Pickup crr needs help at 1715, there is no one there. If I had to stay out an extra 30, i'd be "available"

The other reason is a crr takes a full hour break(at designated time window) they leave themselves less time to get stops done. Which in theory makes them work faster.

Example: 30min break 1300-1330
Now I have 3 hrs until 1630 to get off all my businesses... if I took a full hour now suddenly I have 2.5hrs to get those same stops off and in theory I will work faster and be more productive.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Let's see the policy then. Post that black and white policy.
People Best Practices
Meal Breaks:
Employees may be scheduled for meal breaks of 30–60 minutes.

Meal breaks should not normally be scheduled to exceed 60 minutes.

The People Manual
Workplace Practices:
Meal periods are normally 30 minutes to one hour in duration, as determined by location or by departmental guidelines.

Full-time employees are normally scheduled to work 8- or 10-hour shifts and should be provided a meal period of 30 minutes to one hour in duration.

But there's nothing in policy about hour breaks, LOL!

And you know, son, you have access to these publications and are too lazy to use them.

MAKAVELI

People Best Practices
Meal Breaks:
Employees may be scheduled for meal breaks of 30–60 minutes.

Meal breaks should not normally be scheduled to exceed 60 minutes.

The People Manual
Workplace Practices:
Meal periods are normally 30 minutes to one hour in duration, as determined by location or by departmental guidelines.

Full-time employees are normally scheduled to work 8- or 10-hour shifts and should be provided a meal period of 30 minutes to one hour in duration.

But there's nothing in policy about hour breaks, LOL!

And you know, son, you have access to these publications and are too lazy to use them.
Doesn't state 60 minute breaks are required. Ttku son. The policy is vague for a reason.

SmithBarney

Doesn't state 60 minute breaks are required. Ttku son. The policy is vague for a reason.
I don't side with dano usually.. ;) but it doesn't matter "determined by location" as I said before it doesn't matter if the company says you need "insert weird rule" as a condition of employment, they are allowed to do that... as long as it doesn't infringe on your rights or is illegal". Just like some of the rules are a bit wierd, but hey it's their company.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't side with dano usually.. ;) but it doesn't matter "determined by location" as I said before it doesn't matter if the company says you need "insert weird rule" as a condition of employment, they are allowed to do that... as long as it doesn't infringe on your rights or is illegal". Just like some of the rules are a bit wierd, but hey it's their company.
He's knows, he's just consumed with his usual jailhouse lawyer nonsense. Nothing that a warning letter for violating the acceptable conduct policy won't cure.

MAKAVELI

He's knows, he's just consumed with his usual jailhouse lawyer nonsense. Nothing that a warning letter for violating the acceptable conduct policy won't cure.
Follow state and DOT rules is all that is required. Everything else is just empty threats by pinheads.

fatboy33

Doesn't matter the policy, if the company decides that a requirement of your route is to wear a pink shirt(or take 60 minutes for a break) they can do so. they are the employer and as long as their rules don't break the law, or violate your rights, they can set whatever weird rules they want.

One purpose is to keep employees out on road is to make sure there are extra bodies out there in the case of having to help others. If I finish at 1700, and Pickup crr needs help at 1715, there is no one there. If I had to stay out an extra 30, i'd be "available"

The other reason is a crr takes a full hour break(at designated time window) they leave themselves less time to get stops done. Which in theory makes them work faster.

Example: 30min break 1300-1330
Now I have 3 hrs until 1630 to get off all my businesses... if I took a full hour now suddenly I have 2.5hrs to get those same stops off and in theory I will work faster and be more productive.
Actually during peak, we were told mandatory 60 minutes lunches so couriers brought back same day freight to the station. It was either rolled over or crr was told to offload outbound, go back out and finish delivers. the overtime was a sight to see.