Is there any policy (HR) on how late they can keep us out making deliveries?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
lol how did you know im near Chicago? did I post that somewhere?
Im thinking the burbs around Chicago.
No. I know the guy it happened to and was wondering if it was the same person. Young guy. I saw him a few weeks after it happened and he was still out on leave and still shook up. He refused to go back out on that route.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Aurora?
Yea, sounds like the same guy.
I don’t remember. I know it was somewhere around Chicago. He told me a few times but I don’t remember where. Last I heard he had transferred out to Texas(?). I know he’s from the Chicago area and tries to take advantage of being able to transfer so he can see the country. Really nice guy who has his head together in comparison to a lot of guys his age. And very respectful.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Having a gun pointed at you when you’re delivering from a rental van will quickly change your priorities on delivering after dark.
I've heard "I'm afraid I'll get shot" from a million people, but none of them have ever told me they were actually threatened by any of these people who were supposedly going to shoot them.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I've heard "I'm afraid I'll get shot" from a million people, but none of them have ever told me they were actually threatened by any of these people who were supposedly going to shoot them.
All it takes is one. I've had a gun pointed at me, it's an awakening to one's vulnerability!

Maui

Having a gun pointed at you when you’re delivering from a rental van will quickly change your priorities on delivering after dark.

If Fedex can’t get the freight on-road in a timely fashion, that’s not my problem.
Umm. I had a gun pointed at me in a “safe area”. Some people are nuts.
The dark isn’t a limit. It’s dark at 1630 in some places. That’s a ridiculous excuse IMO. I do feel that there comes a time we should head in. Dark ain’t it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Umm. I had a gun pointed at me in a “safe area”. Some people are nuts.
The dark isn’t a limit. It’s dark at 1630 in some places. That’s a ridiculous excuse IMO. I do feel that there comes a time we should head in. Dark ain’t it.
We had a courier RTB with a bullet hole in the side of their van, head high, drivers side, about a foot behind the window.

That would definitely have an impact on MY priorities.

NC man

We are told to be in by 2030, roll it over if have to. We don’t want drivers out when dispatch is unmanned.no pkg is worth your safety.

Maui

We had a courier RTB with a bullet hole in the side of their van, head high, drivers side, about a foot behind the window.

That would definitely have an impact on MY priorities.
Thanks.
You know ive seen UPS post commit times of both 7pm and 9pm so im not sure if that maybe varies by area?
Also where did you get that amazon info from?
10pm seems pretty late and they are all contracted out right?
I want to say usps is very early with delivery times as late as 5pm.
Do you think I would be in danger of being written up or reprimanded if I defied delivering past 9pm in some areas?
Ive already been to alot of houses out in the sticks that I wouldnt want to go to after dark, let alone after 9.
its not about being scared, but I see the risk involved for both me and the customer, and again it doesnt seem like service at that point, but just me unloading the pkg so we dont have to deal with it the next day.
It may vary by area and yes Amazon is contracted.
Yes, you can be reprimanded for not following a directive. Open communication is key. If you leave really late or have more stops than planned then talk about during the response sort at launch. Have an idea of what you can finish and communicate how late you’d be. The commit is 2000 and if you’re consistently delivering later there is a problem - ideally there would be enough staff to plan all routes finishing by then. There may not be enough people or INDSU might run really late. If it’s a persistent problem talk to your manager to see what solutions are available. If necessary talk to the senior and let them know you’re working with the manager, but you’re delivering after 2000 daily and you’d like to provide better service. Help may or may not be possible, but I’d look at whether or not AM routes in the area have capacity to help make SOS.

You should structure the way you run your route so that you use the daylight to deliver the more difficult areas and finish closer to the station and lot a well lit area.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It may vary by area and yes Amazon is contracted.
Yes, you can be reprimanded for not following a directive. Open communication is key. If you leave really late or have more stops than planned then talk about during the response sort at launch. Have an idea of what you can finish and communicate how late you’d be. The commit is 2000 and if you’re consistently delivering later there is a problem - ideally there would be enough staff to plan all routes finishing by then. There may not be enough people or INDSU might run really late. If it’s a persistent problem talk to your manager to see what solutions are available. If necessary talk to the senior and let them know you’re working with the manager, but you’re delivering after 2000 daily and you’d like to provide better service. Help may or may not be possible, but I’d look at whether or not AM routes in the area have capacity to help make SOS.

You should structure the way you run your route so that you use the daylight to deliver the more difficult areas and finish closer to the station and lot a well lit area.
In other words, be flexible and reasonable, even though managers aren’t.

“Do the best you can” mantra SHOULD bite them in the ass!

NC man

I save a neighborhood that’s well marked on mailboxes so when it gets dark in dec it’s not a problem as Maui suggested. Carry flashlight too just in case it’s needed.

CookiePuss

All it takes is one. I've had a gun pointed at me, it's an awakening to one's vulnerability!
Me too. It was during peak season a few years ago and I was in a Budget rental truck. These people live at the end of a long dirt “driveway” and you usually have to navigate around a couple of center pivot irrigation systems to get to their house. It was almost dark when I pulled up to their house. I honked the horn several times, got out, knocked on the door and left the package. As I was walking back to the truck a lady came around the corner and put a Mossberg 500 right into my chest. I’ve delivered there a hundred times but never after dark. I still had several stops to go but I went immediately back to the terminal, left my scanner in the front seat of the truck and went home. My contractor tried to write me up the next day but the terminal manager said the customer had called in and apologized for pulling a gun. They had been robbed a few weeks before.

falcon back

spotlight.jpg