Is there any policy (HR) on how late they can keep us out making deliveries?

Guitarman01

Is there a set cut-off time where it is deemed unsafe to still be making deliveries, especially in rural and not so nice sides of town?
I ask this because as a midday we are constantly getting late freight and call-ins and the solution seems to be to just stay out all hours of the night until the deliveries are done.
I was actually thinking about calling hr about this.
It seems different managers and stations might have different philosophies on this.
I just heard about one station today, they quit delivering past 8pm.
I was alittle standoffish with my manager today because I declined to help one of my fellow drivers make deliveries past 9pm.
Nothing against wanting to help out my fellow driver at all, but I dont think they should be forced to stay out all hours of the night either.
Thoughts on this?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is there a set cut-off time where it is deemed unsafe to still be making deliveries, especially in rural and not so nice sides of town?
I ask this because as a midday we are constantly getting late freight and call-ins and the solution seems to be to just stay out all hours of the night until the deliveries are done.
It seems different managers and stations might have different philosophies on this.
I was alittle standoffish with my manager today because I declined to help one of my fellow drivers make deliveries past 9pm.
Nothing against wanting to help out my fellow driver at all, but I dont think they should be forced to stay out all hours of the night either.
Thoughts on this?
At 8:00 send a message to your manager or dispatch and tell them that as a professional driver, you don’t feel safe delivering out any later. Might work, might not. If you get written up you could always call HR.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thoughts on this?
And there is no way I’d even be delivering in a bad area at 8:00. Do that area before dark. Rural areas, same thing. Last thing you want to do is come across an attacking animal or someone trying to stop a trespasser.

falcon back

Are you afraid of the dark? You buy a nice spot light and you do your job. You are in a business that is basically a 24/7 operation, that means working in the dark.

vantexan

And there is no way I’d even be delivering in a bad area at 8:00. Do that area before dark. Rural areas, same thing. Last thing you want to do is come across an attacking animal or someone trying to stop a trespasser.
At the domicile in Arizona we usually received our freight around 10 a.m. but it could be 1130 or later some days. Spent many days working past 10 p.m. and sometimes midnight. During peak was often out past 2 a.m. There was no help, just deal with it or get further behind.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Are you afraid of the dark? You buy a nice spot light and you do your job. You are in a business that is basically a 24/7 operation, that means working in the dark.
You have no idea. If someone approaches our house after dark. The police get called.

Guitarman01

No drama for me. The dude is afraid of the dark and doesn't want to work. I did it many times as has MANY other couriers.
No thats that my point, its not the dark, its the time of night. Its poor service and seems pretty pointless after it gets to be a certain time.
If the customer hasnt called on their (iphone) pkg yet, they sure as hell aren't expecting it at 930 at night. At that point when they hear that doorbell ring, especially out in the country, their heart might skip a beat.
In my opinion thats not really service at that point,
thats stupid.

falcon back

No thats that my point, its not the dark, its the time of night. Its poor service and seems pretty pointless after it gets to be a certain time.
If the customer hasnt called on their (iphone) pkg yet, they sure as hell aren't expecting it at 930 at night. At that point when they hear that doorbell ring, especially out in the country, their heart might skip a beat.
thats stupid.
I believe a customer would rather get a del. at 830 pm than the next day.

WannaBeFeeder

thats stupid.
Are u talking ground or express ?

FedexCares

At the domicile in Arizona we usually received our freight around 10 a.m. but it could be 1130 or later some days. Spent many days working past 10 p.m. and sometimes midnight. During peak was often out past 2 a.m. There was no help, just deal with it or get further behind.
That’s crazy you stayed out past 2am that doesn’t even seem safe. I had a domicile route in the pacific NW and we usually had freight around 10am as well but it was occasionally later and I made sure I was always off road by 10 including peak.

Our manager wouldn’t even let us deliver past then as our 4 domicile routes went into national parks and we’re WAY in the boonies where you couldn’t see the hand in front of your face when it got dark. I also had a gun pulled on me by a homeowner I was making a delivery too after dark out in the boonies.

In my opinion if your manager is asking you to stay out past 8-9pm regularly I would be going to HR and make a point that you don’t think it’s safe. Peak is one thing, you got to do what you got to do, but even then you shouldn’t be making deliveries to people’s homes after 10pm or so that’s a good way to get shot on some routes.

Last edited:

vantexan

That’s crazy you stayed out past 2am that doesn’t even seem safe. I had a domicile route in the pacific NW and we usually had freight around 10am as well but it was occasionally later and I made sure I was always off road by 10 including peak.

Our manager wouldn’t even let us deliver past then as our 4 domicile routes went into national parks and we’re WAY in the boonies where you couldn’t see the hand in front of your face when it got dark. I also had a gun pulled on me by a homeowner I was making a delivery too after dark out in the boonies.

In my opinion if your manager is asking you to stay out past 8-9pm regularly I would be going to HR and make a point that you don’t think it’s safe. Peak is one thing, you got to do what you got to do, but even then you shouldn’t be making deliveries to people’s homes after 10pm or so that’s a good way to get shot on some routes.
Fortunately by the time peak rolled around I knew where many of the customers lived. Productivity definitely goes down though. But I had been rehired there and was at starting pay so as long as they were going to let me get OT I was going to take it. I did worry that someone might take a shot at me late at night.

Working4the1%

That was your solution.. we all know you not great at problem solving

Working4the1%

Fortunately by the time peak rolled around I knew where many of the customers lived. Productivity definitely goes down though. But I had been rehired there and was at starting pay so as long as they were going to let me get OT I was going to take it. I did worry that someone might take a shot at me late at night.
So other than possibly having your head blown off.. really no issues

MassWineGuy

Thoughts on this?

They can’t force you to deliver everything. I’m part time and after about 6 1/2 hours I start heading back. Often with many unattempted deliveries. I am not responsible for staff and vehicle shortages.