Can anyone explain the retirement 20+ 30 thing or whatever it is to me?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My local allows you to retire any time after either 55 or 57 (can't remember which at the moment on the road)and you're paid out approx $268 per month for every year of full time service

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app
268 multiplied by the number of years fulltime you have is how the formula is I believe. But that 268 seems awful high, im not saying its wrong but if that is right, that is dam good. You get a certain dollar amount per service year in some locals and some may be just a certain amount for certain amount of years I think. Its different all across the country.

Youll never do 30 years on this job nowadays anyways and UPS knows this. Youd be lucky to do 20 nowadays with how hard they have made it. Id go to 55 and get 20 fulltime in JL and call it a day and ride into the sunset before your crippled.
I've been doing it for longer than that and I move really good. Maybe you are working to hard. Take your lunch in the middle of the day and rest that body.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Not even tired homeboy, dis kids a beast. Never work too hard. Controlled pace son always. I love MILK and CHEESE by the way. I don't need to follow the leader like a programmed robot, I take my lunch when I feel like it.

JL 0513

Youll never do 30 years on this job nowadays anyways and UPS knows this. Youd be lucky to do 20 nowadays with how hard they have made it. Id go to 55 and get 20 fulltime in JL and call it a day and ride into the sunset before your crippled.

Although stop counts have increased, a big counter balance is the modernization of package cars that are much less wear and tear on our bodies.

3 key features being low step, power steering, and automatic transmissions. These are huge body savers over the long haul. So wear and tear may be similar overall for older generations vs. today's. No real way to measure it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You just have to try and work smart and take your time when you have too. Anything you do in life repetitiously with your body is going to have an effect on ya sooner or later ya know. That's life it is what it is dude, take the good with the bad. Lifes like a roller coaster that's for sure JL.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
268 multiplied by the number of years fulltime you have is how the formula is I believe. But that 268 seems awful high, im not saying its wrong but if that is right, that is dam good. You get a certain dollar amount per service year in some locals and some may be just a certain amount for certain amount of years I think. Its different all across the country.
I was on the road earlier trying to recall figures, but piecing it together from what I see online, it's pretty close.

First for the age part:

(a) An Active Participant is eligible to retire on an Early Retirement Pension if he:

1. has at least 15 years of pension credit, and
  2. has a retirement age between 55 and 64.

(b) An Active Participant is eligible to retire on a 30-Year Full Service Pension if he:

1. has at least 30 years of contributory credit, and
  2. has a retirement age under age 60.
For the financial end, these are old figures/charts, but in the old new england supplement on page 44 it lists the hourly contribution rate as $5.26 per hour. If you go to the table here you see that with an hourly contribution of $5.26, the monthly pension accrual payable is listed as $272.00. Again, that's an old table and our hourly contribution went up with the new contract in New England, but just showing my on-the-fly numbers today weren't far off.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Lets say your an air driver/hub employee and dont switch to fulltime til your 40. But been with the company since you were 20. In terms of retirement can u still retire at the same time as a fulltime driver who started driving in his 20s. Im just trying to understand this 20 + 30 retirement policy or whatever it is.

Random rambling: So i been working at UPS since 21 as an air driver. I live comfortably because i get called once a week atleast for top rate ground. Last year it was almost every day the second half the year. That may slow even more with all this new hiring. Basically i really enjoy my job as an on call driver. The hubs lame but driving is fun.

However, i can go fulltime now. But im being a kitty because i dont want to lose all my senority and have no social life. Since all the fulltime drivers seem to hate their job when i love going out driving when im called. Since im an air driver, they are appreciative of me for even coming in and helping. If i go fulltime i will just be another slave. When im living comfortably now but making less per year than a fulltime driver.

And my pay is extremely inconsistant. I can make from 250 to 1600 dollars (after taxes) a week depending if they call me every day or not at all. But other than that i like air driving + ground help more since i can sleep in or not work or take vacation whenever i want.
Where are you located. .If it's in the west there is 80 and out..age +years of service= 80..and out here part time years count towards your 80..not a different scam where you get a small check from ups for pt years when you retire but still have to work 30 or 35 years for a full team step pension...try starting driving at 35....let me know how that is working out for you 30 years later..totally bogus!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Where are you located. .If it's in the west there is 80 and out..age +years of service= 80..and out here part time years count towards your 80..not a total scam where you get a small check from ups for pt years when you retire but still have to work 30 or 35 years for a full teamster pension...try starting driving at 35....let me know how that is working out for you 30 years later..totally bogus!!!!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I started this job way too late in life, don't see myself working here until I'm 72 just to get my 30 in. By that point, I'll be too dang old to enjoy my retirement or my wife will have already had me knocked off by then.

Z

ZQXC

Although stop counts have increased, a big counter balance is the modernization of package cars that are much less wear and tear on our bodies.

3 key features being low step, power steering, and automatic transmissions. These are huge body savers over the long haul. So wear and tear may be similar overall for older generations vs. today's. No real way to measure it.

LOL / No wait, Crying Out Loud

I suppose you think everyone drives a low step, power steering,
automatic transmission truck.

..... will be very close to Peer 100 when I leave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Im confused by posters saying you have to put in X number of years for pension. I just looked at the pension chart for my Local and you can retire anytime you want. Figure goes up for every year longer. There is a figure for 20 and out over 55

Every local is different.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Im confused by posters saying you have to put in X number of years for pension. I just looked at the pension chart for my Local and you can retire anytime you want. Figure goes up for every year longer. There is a figure for 20 and out over 55

Yes, you can retire anytime you want; however, if you don't meet the minimum age and/or years of service requirements for a full pension, you will receive a reduced amount when you turn 65.

This is the post you where you said you can't make 30. I say if you do the job by the methods work smart you make it baller. Just quit stunting and fronting homeboy. You will make it.

JL 0513

LOL / No wait, Crying Out Loud

I suppose you think everyone drives a low step, power steering,
automatic transmission truck.

Didn't say that. I've been in a 1987 tank for most of the last year. Unfortunately there's still lots of the old POS's in service. Their days are coming to an end though. Most of these models are over 25 years old. I'm saying that going forward, most guys in the earlier years of their career will be in the more modern package cars for the bulk of their careers.

The older guys in my building talk about what they had to drive 20 years ago. The trucks had wooden shelves, wood bulk head door/rear door. Awful manual transmissions...ect.

upschuck

I was on the road earlier trying to recall figures, but piecing it together from what I see online, it's pretty close.

First for the age part:

(a) An Active Participant is eligible to retire on an Early Retirement Pension if he:

1. has at least 15 years of pension credit, and
  2. has a retirement age between 55 and 64.

(b) An Active Participant is eligible to retire on a 30-Year Full Service Pension if he:

1. has at least 30 years of contributory credit, and
  2. has a retirement age under age 60.
For the financial end, these are old figures/charts, but in the old new england supplement on page 44 it lists the hourly contribution rate as $5.26 per hour. If you go to the table here you see that with an hourly contribution of $5.26, the monthly pension accrual payable is listed as $272.00. Again, that's an old table and our hourly contribution went up with the new contract in New England, but just showing my on-the-fly numbers today weren't far off.
I see in the NE supplement that the company pays $6.20/hour, up to $248/week. I don't see anywhere in the supplement that says amount paid out, so you get paid what is in NMA. If I missed where it said that, please show me.