Can anyone explain the retirement 20+ 30 thing or whatever it is to me?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Would not believe the number of people that say the same thing. Then when their time is comes up, "I will give it one more year or ten". The job gets to be a lot easier when you want to be there versus have to be there. 36 years in and 58 years old and can't wait for the next day. Bring it on.

While this may be great for you others may have different views. One only has to figure out how much their pension will be then take the money they are currently earning and subtract the two numbers then divide by hours worked and you'll come up with a number that you're working per hour/week/month or however you want to view it. In my case, it came down to 10 bucks/hour if I stayed on past my 55th birthday. Hardly enough money to make it worthwhile for me. If you want to make the same kind of money that you were, get a PT job doing something you really enjoy to make up the difference. A hobby job would work just great.

oldngray

nowhere special
While this may be great for you others may have different views. One only has to figure out how much their pension will be then take the money they are currently earning and subtract the two numbers then divide by hours worked and you'll come up with a number that you're working per hour/week/month or however you want to view it. In my case, it came down to 10 bucks/hour if I stayed on past my 55th birthday. Hardly enough money to make it worthwhile for me. If you want to make the same kind of money that you were, get a PT job doing something you really enjoy to make up the difference. A hobby job would work just great.

I had 34 years in and looked at it as I was working for half pay. Even worse when you facror in lowering tax bracket after retirement. I had wanted to work a couple of more years but the wear and tear was just getting too bad. I am so glad I did get out when I did. If you are financially in a position to get out then I definitely recommend it.

PT Car Washer

Feels like a PT hobby job now.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I had 34 years in and looked at it as I was working for half pay. Even worse when you facror in lowering tax bracket after retirement. I had wanted to work a couple of more years but the wear and tear was just getting too bad. I am so glad I did get out when I did. If you are financially in a position to get out then I definitely recommend it.

I'm happy I did what I did too. I have my health and my wife and I take trips frequently in the vehicle shown in my avatar. Just got back from cruising around on my Harley bagger after a run to the pool store to buy a new pressure gauge for my pool filter. Life is grand when you can enjoy it with good health.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here the full time pension is the same for all full time jobs, whether driving or inside building. Which is why those 22.3 jobs are so highly sought after. Even if there is a decrease in wages it provides same credit for retirement. Perfect for worn out drivers finishing out career.

purplesky

I agree retiring early like you have and enjoying retired life with your health is the way to go.

I could see maybe working a few more more years if somebody is maxing out their 401k and Roth IRA which is $29500 each additional year you work to save more money.

But obviously money isn't everything so leaving UPS with your health is more important.

PT Car Washer

Here the full time pension is the same for all full time jobs, whether driving or inside building. Which is why those 22.3 jobs are so highly sought after. Even if there is a decrease in wages it provides same credit for retirement. Perfect for worn out drivers finishing out career.
Not in my building. Last couple 22.3 jobs bid were load on midnight and load on preload. No old package car driver is going to bid on that.

dumptheoldguardteamsters

200 stops on a garbage route. No pick ups and back by 5 PM with a half bonus? Driving is not the hardest job at UPS.

That does not happen in my building. To get that you have to kiss a lot of management behind and lie cheat and steal .... Including setting up your truck off the clock for an hour or two... Not worth it in my eyes...
Give the company two and a half and get half an hour back...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Local 177 does. I believe they still have the 30 yrs at 52 also. They did take away the 50K bonus almost ten years ago though.

177 has the 25-at-55 and 30 at any age. And thank God. I'll only be 51 years old when I go. There's only about 4 drivers in my center that started at age 21, and I'm one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do hope that your local is able I keep those retirement options. Ours was 30 and out at any age but now it is 30 and 55. It would not surprise me if they pushed that to 30 and 57 before I retire. I will be 58 so it won't affect me but we will have drivers working 37-38 years for a 30 year pension.

MethodsMan

I do hope that your local is able I keep those retirement options. Ours was 30 and out at any age but now it is 30 and 55. It would not surprise me if they pushed that to 30 and 57 before I retire. I will be 58 so it won't affect me but we will have drivers working 37-38 years for a 30 year pension.

Must have a crummy local.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Must have a crummy local.

Must be. I know ours is one of the best in the country. Our retro checks weren't nearly as big as some of yours, our membership voted for a $400/month pension increase, and it's being financed by 30 cents/hour of our raises. I wasn't particularly in favor of it but it passed overwhelmingly, so there's nothing I can do about it now.