can i get fired!!??!?!?!

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
well I was in the hood and there was a lot of people around the house I needed to deliver to. No access to back door, no screen door, no porch, nothing to hide behind. It was line of row homes that I get signatures for 100% of the time to. If I had DR'd the package I might as well have just handed it to one of the kids standing there. Its a high crime/ theft area and if I get yelled at for not dropping a bag off in the street than UPS needs to be a bit considerate to the customer. Now apparently the package was meds.....but we don't know if its meds or not.....the only reason they are saying its meds is because it was a bag that felt like it had bottles inside and when you shook it, it sounded like pills in a bottle. Its pure speculation, the package could contain kids vitamins for all I know. But my Center manager is acting like I forgot to turn in high value meds to the office at the end of the day when that is not the case at all. The package is not high value and I did no wrong in my opinion.

So tell him off! He's an idiot!

Ouch

Don't worry about it. Explain to him your surroundings, explain you thought it was extremely unsafe to leave the package. The worse thing that can happen is him telling you to del all surepost no matter what. As long as you sheeted it your fine. If you weren't asked to sign for the package before you left the building or instructed to pull it off at the end of the day you are fine. QUIT WORRYING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

brown bomber

brown bomber
have the stupidvisor, take a study regarding lost pkgs on your area,..it used to be, that if you had an unsafe delivery on your area, it was up to the driver to make the call

HomeDelivery

DR all Surepost.

due to the OP's area knowledge, he did the right thing to code it as NI1...

tell your stupidvisor in the AM that you'll reattempt it & the recipient will have a signed DN at the door or will sign it in person today...

you're correct that it may just be a white bag of vitamins since the shipper didn't request a signature option on that package ; we don't have x-ray vision to see if they're prescription meds
---------------------------------------
over at the purple side, i DR lots of them as well, but ususally in decent suburbia

high-risk/ghetto areas are another story (shouldn't that section be a red area then or not enough claims/DFUs yet?)

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
well I was in the hood and there was a lot of people around the house I needed to deliver to. No access to back door, no screen door, no porch, nothing to hide behind. It was line of row homes that I get signatures for 100% of the time to. If I had DR'd the package I might as well have just handed it to one of the kids standing there. Its a high crime/ theft area and if I get yelled at for not dropping a bag off in the street than UPS needs to be a bit considerate to the customer. Now apparently the package was meds.....but we don't know if its meds or not.....the only reason they are saying its meds is because it was a bag that felt like it had bottles inside and when you shook it, it sounded like pills in a bottle. Its pure speculation, the package could contain kids vitamins for all I know. But my Center manager is acting like I forgot to turn in high value meds to the office at the end of the day when that is not the case at all. The package is not high value and I did no wrong in my opinion.

You did the right thing but I think the issue is that the package was a surepost. Those are to be delivered first attempt. We are not on the hook if they turn up missing. Tell your boss calmly and firmly your reasons for not leaving the packages. If they throw out that the surepost package was the problem, tell them that in the future you will leave the package.

Future

Victory Ride
I don't think they can yell at me for not DR'ing a package in a unsafe area, my concern is that since the package is allegedly medicine and I didn't turn it into the office can I get in trouble. Keep in mind I did not sign for it in the morning, it is not a high value, and I was never made aware that the package was medicine to begin with. I know that when the day is over if I have a high value I must turn it in if I don't deliver it but that's not the case here. It was just a mere surepost, driver release package but who knows...find out in the morning
You are fine!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

there was a box on my truck today that apparently had meds in it.....customer wasn't home so NI1........i drive in the hood so i didn't NI1 because i knew it was meds, its just a bad area and the customer had 3 boxes and i didn't want them to get stolen.......center manager goes through my truck after i punch out and go home and apparently one of the 3 boxes for the house was meds......friend txt me and tells me what happened.....my best guess is tomorrow I'm going to come in and be called to the office with the package sitting there....i didn't know it was meds and i don't know what they can do to me for it.
OK, this helped a little, but not much.

First you say that the customer wasn't home so you sheeted the packages as NI1. Then you say that because you "drive in the hood" you didn't sheet the packages as NI1 because you knew it was meds and didn't want them to get stolen. Finally you say that you didn't know it was meds.

Your center manager did a check-in audit on your package car specifically looking for those 3 pkgs which tells me that he suspects you did not sheet them at the delivery location. The contents of the pkg is irrelevant. The customer may have also called in a concern saying that they were home when you made the delivery attempt. Telematics will show where you were when you sheeted the pkgs.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have never signed for them

Don't you get a fax sheet taped to high values where you have to say when it was delivered and who signed for package that has to be turned in? I think there is a line for driver to sign also. I think that was also used for narcotics a long time ago. It might still be used for some drugs.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We stopped signing for high values a few years ago, sups sign for them and throw them in the load. We'll get messages reminding us to get a signature on any high values through the DIAD from the OMS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Don't you get a fax sheet taped to high values where you have to say when it was delivered and who signed for package that has to be turned in? I think there is a line for driver to sign also. I think that was also used for narcotics a long time ago. It might still be used for some drugs.
Nope, not in years. Of course our building is so disorganized, we probably dont do anything right. I am told daily I dont, LOL