Can I get in trouble for not reporting a thief in my trailer if they're caught?

Furen

I'm an unloader and there is this other unloader in my shift that is like a kleptomaniac. Every time I'm unloading with this guy, he is busting open packages for candy, juice bottles, food, Iphones, headphones and everything else that's small enough to smuggle out or won't be paid too much attention to.

Now let me state my position here-- I honestly don't care what he is doing in his own trailers because if he gets caught, that's on him. But you see, when he is doing that in the same trailer as me, I'm afraid they're going to think I was an accomplice if he is caught even tho the camera should show me constantly unloading.

I'm cool with the guy and I'm remiss to snitch but this is my job we're talking about. We've already had 2 arrest for stealing in my facility this year and I don't want to join them. I feel like I'm kinda being forced to throw him up under the bus to save myself. And no, I haven't talked to him about this because if he is caught stealing, I don't want him to suspect me of snitching. He is a pretty dangerous guy.

So I want to know that if he does get caught stealing in one of my trailers and he is caught, will I get in trouble or be fired along with him for not saying anything?

LarryBird

I'm an unloader and there is this other unloader in my shift that is like a kleptomaniac. Every time I'm unloading with this guy, he is busting open packages for candy, juice bottles, food, Iphones, headphones and everything else that's small enough to smuggle out or won't be paid too much attention to.

Now let me state my position here-- I honestly don't care what he is doing in his own trailers because if he gets caught, that's on him. But you see, when he is doing that in the same trailer as me, I'm afraid they're going to think I was an accomplice if he is caught even tho the camera should show me constantly unloading.

I'm cool with the guy and I'm remiss to snitch but this is my job we're talking about. We've already had 2 arrest for stealing in my facility this year and I don't want to join them. I feel like I'm kinda being forced to throw him up under the bus to save myself. And no, I haven't talked to him about this because if he is caught stealing, I don't want him to suspect me of snitching. He is a pretty dangerous guy.

So I want to know that if he does get caught stealing in one of my trailers and he is caught, will I get in trouble or be fired along with him for not saying anything?
Don't snitch.

Man the :censored2: up, and tell him what he does when he's on his own is his business, but when he's sharing a trailer with you, that makes it your business too, and you're not comfortable with the possibility of going down with him, so he should act accordingly and keep his hands off the merchadise.

Nobody respects a rat, not even the "authorities" in most instances.

Johney

You are an accomplice if you see it and don't report it. It's not being a snitch if this jackbag is in the same trailer as you, trust me if he's caught in the same trailer as you you'll both go down.

LarryBird

You are an accomplice if you see it and don't report it. It's not being a snitch if this jackbag is in the same trailer as you, trust me if he's caught in the same trailer as you you'll both go down.
I agree.

That's why I said to tell him what he does when he's alone is his business, but you won't tolerate it while he's sharing a trailer with you, and potentially putting your job at risk.

The implications, of course, being that if he then continues to engage in this :censored2:, you will be forced to notify management in the interest of preserving your own job.

I always think things are best solved by talking to a person man to man, and not involving authority figures, if possible. If, after that, you have to take it to the next level, then it's on them. They had the opportunity to do the right thing and stay out of trouble - they didn't take that opportunity.

Last edited:

LarryBird

I will say this...I saw quite a few candy boxes 'accidentally' open up back in the day when I was working the sort.

It was a fairly common thing that both the hourlies AND the PT sups would then help themselves to a few pieces off the trailer floor. Common enough that the FT sort manager mentioned that it was being noticed by whomever keeps track of these things, but no discipline ever happened, and it just kind continued to go on. Probably still does.

I never saw anyone taking hard goods though, although I'm not naive enough to believe that it didn't go on, especially with knowing who our biggest account (which I will not mention) was at the time.

OP, you should do whatever YOU think is the correct thing to do. I know how I would go about it, but what works for me, might not be the best course of action for you. I do know for sure that nobody respects a snitch though, so if you must rat, I'd probably use the hotline.

Last edited:

Johney

I agree.

That's why I said to tell him what he does when he's alone is his business, but you won't tolerate it while he's sharing a trailer with you, and potentially putting your job at risk.

The implications, of course, being that if he then continues to engage in this :censored2:, you will be forced to notify management in the interest of preserving your own job.

I always think things are best solved by talking to person man to man, and not involving authority figures, if possible. If, after that, you have to take it to the next level, then it's on them. They had the opportunity to do the right thing and stay out of trouble - they didn't take that opportunity.
The problem with your theory is if they are already on to what's happening he's done if you don't come forward first you're done too.

LarryBird

The problem with your theory is if they are already on to what's happening he's done if he doesn't come forward first.
If they're already on to it, he might already be done.

Or they might be investigating to see who exactly is doing the stealing, and planning to leave everyone else out of it.

I'd guess, that with staffing issues how they are, he is fine if he's not engaging in the theft. He's probably got that going in his favor. But again, who could really know for sure.

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
53D85DC3-2E70-4A98-8232-22680EF38C95.jpeg
He is a pretty dangerous guy
He look like this?

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Why don’t you just refuse to work with him? He comes in, you go out. When the supervisor asks you what’s up, you just say, “Hey, I don’t want to be involved with anything with that guy.

bbsam

Staff member
That guy works at my building in the small sort. He's actually a real softy, when you get to know him.
They’re all softies after they’re done. Whether they wanna cuddle or go home to their wives, it’s all the same....

At least that’s what I’m told I mean.

Box Ox

Why don’t you just refuse to work with him? He comes in, you go out. When the supervisor asks you what’s up, you just say, “Hey, I don’t want to be involved with anything with that guy.

Yeah, that’s not a thing in preload. Lol

He's a thief, a stinking thief, that's not being a rat IMHO, who wants to work with a thief? They'd steal from you too if they had the chance. $5,000 - get outta my way straight to the office for me!

LarryBird

He's a thief, a stinking thief, that's not being a rat IMHO, who wants to work with a thief? They'd steal from you too if they had the chance. $5,000 - get outta my way straight to the office for me!
Yeah, that's not really how it works, in my experience, on both counts.

You're not getting $5k, in fact you're probably not getting $10, but I guess at least you will have the satisfaction of being the person who saved UPS from financial ruin. Although it will be at the cost of somebody elses job, someone who is likely poor considering they work PT for UPS, and even if they were wrong, that still sucks for them imo.

Also, most people who steal from a corporation, would never in a million years think of stealing from another person - they consider it to be 2 totally different things, and whether they're right or wrong, that's how they usually feel.

I don't have pity for the thief if he gets caught, but I personally wouldn't go out of my way to make sure that happened. It's not my business. I don't work in loss prevention, and LP doesn't come out to help me deliver packages when I'm buried on a Friday, so I don't run sting operations for them or call them about someone eating a few pieces of candy off the floor of the trailer.

To each their own though.