Can someone tell me what article this is under?

Ashell

Asked if I could double on a shift I don't normally work. They said yes, they need as many people as they can get. I show up, and a couple other people I guess were asked to show up. I go up to the fulltime sup to see what he wanted me to do and he says, no double shifters at all. Seemed kind of sketchy because there were other people writing down their name to sign in, instead of being on a list.

I have heard people say you can file for being told a start time and then no work. Is it 1 hour or 4 hours? what article is it? I'm southern region and pt hub.

upssouth

If they were junior employees doubling before you file for seniority, provided you have more seniority. Make sure you have been signing the extra coverage work bid list if they have put one up. Also if they said yes you can double and then retract, make sure not one supervisor is touching a package. I would file on all of them. They will usually let you double instead of handing them grievances. Consult your steward first.

Ashell

yeah I signed the coverage sheet for dec. As far as sups working, they were still just getting ready to start. Work had not started other than paperwork and getting scanners. I don't know who if anyone actually did double, but of the people that did show and were asked I had more seniority than some of them.

I think I should get at least 1h just for my time and gas, but I have heard its an automatic 4h. I have filed a few grievances with some success. I kind of feel like they are just encumbering me working holding off the issue till after peak. Where even if I did get the 4h it would be less than the time worked plus the 6th & 7th day punches. Plus you have to gather info, names, phone numbers, file and wait, and call, and wait... Its just crappy because I had worked a night shift and got maybe 3h sleep. If they didn't tell me to come in I could have spent that time catching up, because I have been doubling as much as I can.

Ashell

yeah the only reason I file grievances these days is so if a judge or lawyer asks me if I tried to work things out by the processes in place I can say "yes and here is my paperwork history". I don't put much stock in the union. I will talk to them, but they will surely poo-poo it implying im being petty.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The intent of my post was for the OP to try to work out an equitable solution before being forced to put pen to paper. He was told to report and as such should be paid for it.

Please don't fix my posts.
please dont give incorrect advice and i wont have to, old bean. the most equitable solution will be made by bringing the steward into the situation

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
yeah the only reason I file grievances these days is so if a judge or lawyer asks me if I tried to work things out by the processes in place I can say "yes and here is my paperwork history". I don't put much stock in the union. I will talk to them, but they will surely poo-poo it implying im being petty.
righto mate, you should let your supervisor sort things out for you,we ALL know he/she has your best interests at heart!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
yeah I signed the coverage sheet for dec. As far as sups working, they were still just getting ready to start. Work had not started other than paperwork and getting scanners. I don't know who if anyone actually did double, but of the people that did show and were asked I had more seniority than some of them.

I think I should get at least 1h just for my time and gas, but I have heard its an automatic 4h. I have filed a few grievances with some success. I kind of feel like they are just encumbering me working holding off the issue till after peak. Where even if I did get the 4h it would be less than the time worked plus the 6th & 7th day punches. Plus you have to gather info, names, phone numbers, file and wait, and call, and wait... Its just crappy because I had worked a night shift and got maybe 3h sleep. If they didn't tell me to come in I could have spent that time catching up, because I have been doubling as much as I can.
If they gave you a start time to come in, and when you came in they said they don't need you, you get 4 hours. Ask you sup to pay you.

If he says no, get with your steward because you only have 5 days to file a grievance or it can be considered untimely and it won't even be heard.

Ashell

Article 57 of the Southern Region Supplement.

You sir are awesome for actually answering my question instead of all the BS that normally happens on this forum.

I asked them for 1h and they had no problem with it. I didn't have to work. I got my Sunday punch. He got a slap on the wrist. We can still be friends and maybe the next time they need help he will think to himself, I should ask that guy again. There is nothing wrong with being a reasonable person. I am prepared (now) to file if needed, but sometimes when you throw things into the unions hands they come out messed up, like pensions for instance... I would much rather sort out simple pay and hour issues without paperwork.

Nimnim

The Nim
please dont give incorrect advice and i wont have to, old bean. the most equitable solution will be made by bringing the steward into the situation

Except there is a possibility that the person works in a facility where the sups know what they should do but wait for either the hourly or the steward to talk to them. The sup may just go ahead and code the guarantee to avoid the steward talking to them or the paperwork after a grievance is filed. There's a lot of places that will pull things like telling people to go home at start time hoping people just go and don't push for a guarantee and I can't fault them for that, but some when called on it will do the right thing without having to escalate at all.

Management pulls things until they know it won't work. Call them on it and keep on them, if they don't fix it file a grievance, but the first response should not be a grievance if you can talk to them first. Usually the grievance takes longer to fix things too as it has to work through the system where as talking to someone can get it done the next day.

oldngray

nowhere special
Except there is a possibility that the person works in a facility where the sups know what they should do but wait for either the hourly or the steward to talk to them. The sup may just go ahead and code the guarantee to avoid the steward talking to them or the paperwork after a grievance is filed. There's a lot of places that will pull things like telling people to go home at start time hoping people just go and don't push for a guarantee and I can't fault them for that, but some when called on it will do the right thing without having to escalate at all.

Management pulls things until they know it won't work. Call them on it and keep on them, if they don't fix it file a grievance, but the first response should not be a grievance if you can talk to them first. Usually the grievance takes longer to fix things too as it has to work through the system where as talking to someone can get it done the next day.

Talking before filing is part of the grievance procedure. You talk to management about a problem first and only file if not rectified. .

By The Book

Ashell, as long as your happy right? This asking on your own is ok but please ask what your entitled to next time. Go thru the steward if you can't muster up the courage. They will do this to you now more than ever and they already know what you expect in return.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

bollocks and rubbish. Establishing a paper trail through the grievance procedure puts an end to the foolishness the OP reported,and lets Management know we are not to be trifled with .you guys are killing me in this thread!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Have handled 90% of my grievable problems with a
Stern "WTF" to my sup.

Filed the other 10%.

No target on my back. No retaliation when I do file because they know I've tried to work it out and it's legit. Good working relationship with management.

Fairly stress free life at UPS.

Packages in, packages out.