Can you be forced to work....

EmraldArcher

Just what the supplement says. Or what is mandated by state law. After that, work me or I'm going home. They can't expect you to sit around off the clock for 2 hours waiting for air. You are not on call!

Yea thats my main gripe. If they want to pay me during that 60 minute interval ill stay and collect my 6+ hours of overtime, otherwise screw it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
life's too short. stand up and say no . what's the worse that can happen? they can't kill you. when I finally stood up to the bosses and told them that my family was more important than this job ( other than my signed bid work and emergencies ) they left me alone. actually I receive more respect.

people around here think they don't have choices. you always have choices. I read a book about this a long time ago and it really opened my eyes and made my life a lot better and stress free. it was about Buddhism. wish I could remember title for you.

guyinthebrownbox

They cannot force you to work without proper notice. We had the same issue last week with the Black Friday fiasco.

I would not show up for the second sort and if they try to discipline you, contact your steward and file a grievance based on change in start time without notice

And if you don't have their number, get it ASAP and put it in your phone

Sent from a Glade plug-in

guyinthebrownbox

In addition. Article 49 section 1 of the southern agreement says after 5 hours in one shift, that employee goes into overtime. If the employee works past 8 hours in a 24 hour period, the overtime starts at 8 hours not 5.

What they are trying to do is run the sort longer without paying all the over time so they word it to make it sound like 2 "shifts." Our building is notorious for trying this as a way to skimp on paying that 3 hour overtime. Basically, the 7 hours you say you normally work will all be at normal rate if you come into that second "shift"

Sent from a Glade plug-in

clean hairy

One time i was ordered to work a double, and did as instructed.
When I checked with my Local, they stated if there was double shift available, they had to ask from top Seniority down, and force from the bottom of Seniority to have enough Staffing.
My case was the same as the OP that I was ordered to double just 30 min prior to my regular shift ending time.
This was several years ago, check with your local, mine was Southern.

BCFan

life's too short. stand up and say no . what's the worse that can happen? they can't kill you. when I finally stood up to the bosses and told them that my family was more important than this job ( other than my signed bid work and emergencies ) they left me alone. actually I receive more respect.

people around here think they don't have choices. you always have choices. I read a book about this a long time ago and it really opened my eyes and made my life a lot better and stress free. it was about Buddhism. wish I could remember title for you.
Buddhism for Dummies? ;)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well yea they cant ever physically FORCE you to work but they are telling us we have to come back.
Call union hall, ask for BA or a steward contact. I don't know if they can force bottom-up by seniority, but it seems unlikely unless it's in that supplement. Otherwise if you don't want the work, I'd politely tell them you won't be able to work.

Nimnim

The Nim
If you're talking about the Orlando hub I heard about the second sort after the Sunday day sort this past Wednesday. There was supposed to be signups for it, but I never saw one. I also know for a fact there is a steward on the day sort there as they transferred off my midnight shift.

As far as forcing you to work an extra shift after your own I can't see you getting in any trouble unless you signed up for the extra work. It would be one thing if your shift went long, but putting an hour break in while also asking for people from other shifts to come in denotes a new shift that you're not scheduled for in my opinion.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You can make tons of cash this month. Take it. It will pay later. I will work my 60 a week. Only 19 working days. Not counting a couple Saturdays I fore see coming