Can you retire under this contract? Y/N

What gets me is there is a large part of the blue collar working class that still believe the Dems are their party. Couldn’t be further from the truth. They are the party of ultra rich elitists and Hollyweird. Not only are they not our party, they despise us.
So you believe a New York City real-estate developer is a friend to the working men and women of this country?

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
I learned long ago to buy individual stocks and back them up with options. By doing so, I'm guaranteed to never lose more than the premium for the option contract. The US stock market allows for exercising options prior to expiration date which gives me a chance to lock in profits as a stock loses value. Millionaires are made in an up market, billionaires in a down market. Mutual funds are the sucker bet in the stock market. You buy a group of companies and get a return on the average of them all, some winners and some losers. I would rather own a couple of those and manage my own outcome.
What do you mean by back up your stocks with options? Buy underlying and buy call leaps on top of that? Isn’t that increasing your directional risk? I’m assuming you’re buying options and not selling covered calls or something cause you said the most you can lose is the premium on the option.

Or are you hedging long stock with puts or something? I have a general knowledge of options, not so much the intricacies of the greeks, just curious what you mean

Up In Smoke

What do you mean by back up your stocks with options? Buy underlying and buy call leaps on top of that? Isn’t that increasing your directional risk? I’m assuming you’re buying options and not selling covered calls or something cause you said the most you can lose is the premium on the option.

Or are you hedging long stock with puts or something? I have a general knowledge of options, not so much the intricacies of the greeks, just curious what you mean
Yes, protective puts. I try to stay around 1% premium for a 5-7% move.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
1666123090302.png

Cheesypurpletees

2021 had nearly 25% returns in the indexes. The market began to pull back on the Fed's announcement of QT and raising short term interest rates. They gave everyone ample time to reset their retirement assets. The Fed attempted this in late 2018 and early 2019 and the market had a similar 20% plus pull back.
I’ve always been taught to stay invested and not time the market. Looks like you have finally figured it all out. Call Warren buffet and let him know his advice of staying invested in an s&p 500 index is b.s

Up In Smoke

I’ve always been taught to stay invested and not time the market. Looks like you have finally figured it all out. Call Warren buffet and let him know his advice of staying invested in an s&p 500 index is b.s
Warren and Berkshire maintain a sizable options position (40B dollars). They spread these options across the 4 major indexes (S&P, FTSE 100, Euro Stoxx 50 and Nikkei 225) Using the Black-Scholes Model they sell long term put options in the OTC market. These contracts are European and thus can not be exercised prior to expiration. I use a similar strategy only at a much smaller scale and shorter time frame. I also trade in the US market where I can exercise prior to expiration. I'm not timing the market, just insuring that my loses are capped and if they move enough, I will make money in a downward moving market. Options are a cheap hedge against a volatile market. Options buying has hit record levels over the last 2 months and should continue until the Fed achieves it's end game. So Warren is right, stay in the market but hedge your investments with options to ensure the best guaranteed outcome.