Car insurance discount because of our defensive driver training?

bugman74

Has anyone been able or tried to get a discount on their car insurance because of our defensive driving training? It seems logical that our training that is drilled into our heads should warrant a discount.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone been able or tried to get a discount on their car insurance because of our defensive driving training? It seems logical that our training that is drilled into our heads should warrant a discount.

Good point, I consider myself a professionel defensive driver. But one problem is, UPS doesn't give us a certificate to show that we have had training, and I don't know if the insurance companies would recognize it if they did. I get a good deal with Allstate, I have been with the same agent and now his son for thirty-four years without a single accident. I do get the multiple car and homeowners discount. I have two sons driving, thats where you get hit in the pocket big time. A good way to decrease your premiums is to increase your deductibles.:thumbup1:

Brownnblue

The training we receive is through a quick statement at a PCM (when we have our minds on what will thrown on our dispatch), a text message during the middle of said day, and perhaps some "busy work" papers to fill out to satisfy OSHA. I doubt any insurance company would give out a discount with this kind of "training".

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I have two sons driving, thats where you get hit in the pocket big time. A good way to decrease your premiums is to increase your deductibles.:thumbup1:

Scratch...wait til your son's start getting in accidents! My poor old man...three sons down, three to go and we've have had 6 wrecks between us. Three or four were our fault and one of those was a percentage at fault, I think:sad:. In Atlanta, you don't have the snow worries. One of our wrecks was at least partially caused by the snow. The rain can get heavy anywhere, folks. I told my one brother one day, "TURN THAT D*MN MUSIC OFF TIL WE CLEAR THIS CLOUDBURST!!!!" He grumbled but did it. Less than a minute later, tail-lights appeared in front of us. He swore vilely and brought the car to a safe stop. I looked at him and he said, "Say one, just one word and I'll clock ya when I park this car." A year or so later, we were leaving home in the snow and he turned the radio off before he put the car in gear. I just smiled slightly. GOTTA LOVE BIG BROTHERS! LOL. -Rocky

raceanoncr

But one problem is, UPS doesn't give us a certificate to show that we have had training, and I don't know if the insurance companies would recognize it if they did.

Scratch, that may or may not be true. I have in my hand a "Certificate of Road Test", issued by United Parcel Service, which states, in part:

"This is to certify that the above named driver was given a road test under my supervision on____________consisting of ________miles of driving. It is my considered opinion that this driver possesses sufficient driving skill to operate safely the type of commercial motor vehicle listed above."

Now, it says, "Road Test". Would this constitute a certificate of training? Maybe not. I ain't gonna test it cuz I only got about 2 yrs left anyway and ain't had no crashes in over 45 yrs of driving-29 with this company-so's insurance ain't no problem.