Caring for your parents...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
MR V

Not only a good answer, but I would trade my whole career for another year with mine.

While I got quite a bit of flack from the sups, I took about 2 months off to care for my Father-in-law after his stroke. We had day care here at my home for him, but his needs were such that I had to spend nights caring for his needs.

Come to find out his biggest problem was the doctor he was seeing. It so happens that while he was in rehab, they decided to stop 25 years of steriod treatment for his rhumatiz. One thing you cant do is stop that nasty stuff cold turkey. When things got worse, we took him to the ER, where the doc there told us that his insides had died, from his stomach on.

So basically, they dosed him with enough morphine to shut the rest of his body down. But I cherished the time I had with him one on one.

UPS is a way to earn enough to have a nice lifestyle. And to some of us, a great career that we really do enjoy. But family is way more important!

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While what all of you say is true, finding another job may not be easy, he/she may not have enough $$ stocked away to live on, and his/her job may be the only source of income. While family is more important than the job, it sometimes may not be as cut and dried as it looks, to walk away.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Hi Guys, I need some input from you. I've cared for a ailing parent many years now, it has come to my attention she needs to move to a warmer climate. I'm a committed Browner of 19 years. ..:sad-very:HELP

I think its admirable that you want to move your ailing parent to a warmer climate. But since its you thats taking care of this person, think whats best for you at the moment. I'm thinking since moving this person is at the top of your list then I'm thinking things aren't as bad as it seems.

You don't need the added stress of transferring and looking after your folks. Look at what available in your area, find someone in your center thats going through the same situation. You've got a good heart, I would do anything for my folks too!

While what all of you say is true, finding another job may not be easy, he/she may not have enough $$ stocked away to live on, and his/her job may be the only source of income. While family is more important than the job, it sometimes may not be as cut and dried as it looks, to walk away.
Very good post Tooner. The site wouldn't let me add rep points to ys, so here's a couple-hundred for ya!

DS

Fenderbender
When I first started at ups 18 years ago,my mother was hospitalized for a servere liver problem.I was really stressed from trying to get seniority and be full time and I had to get to the hospital to see her at night.On my third day my sup said,I want to see you back by 6:30 pm,well I took him literally and brought back 5 stops.
This was all on paper and he said,normally I'd send you back out to deliver these,but since you gotta see your mom,I'll let you off.My nephew and I took turns visiting every day.I could make this a long story but instead I'll just say I know she appreciated all the fruit bottom yogurts,and the fresca,and the occasional mcChicken sandwich...the hospital was her home ,she died there and the 2 oncar sups that were training me came to the funeral.I appreciated that.Cant see it happening nowadays.