Carlos Rocha vs. FedEx

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

And they win more than they lose.

I am going to agree to disagree with you there my friend. I don't think they win most cases, I think they literally just wear you down mentally and financially, or in cases where there is no doubt of the guilt on FedEx's part, they settle. But to most of us, a win is a win is a win, no matter how it was won.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don't have them. But if they lost more than they won, don't you think they'd simply drop the model altogether? Damn. There's that logic thingy again!
Not necessarily. They've been known to beat a dead horse or two.

RTURNSONLY

And here is Fedex official responce (blah, blah, blah)...

FedEx Ground called the lawsuit's claims "meritless" in a statement. "We are confident that in this case the company's independent contractor model will be validated as it has been by more than 100 previous state and federal rulings," Angela Wheland, a spokeswoman for FedEx Ground, said in a statement. "This business model has enabled thousands of small businesses to thrive, grow and deliver exceptional customer service."

this article is very one sided, what the article did 't say is what led fedex to take away Mr. Rocha trucks. I am assuming he didn't read the contract when he signed, and then got into the psa and decided he was the boss and didn't follow the rules. I am not a ground driver, and I don't know all the ins and outs, but as an express driver I see the same attitude from drivers that been around for a Mr. Rocha got a big head and then found out quickly he couldn't do what he wanted.
[h=2][/h]

bbsam

Staff member
I am going to agree to disagree with you there my friend. I don't think they win most cases, I think they literally just wear you down mentally and financially, or in cases where there is no doubt of the guilt on FedEx's part, they settle. But to most of us, a win is a win is a win, no matter how it was won.
I agree. But to them, that is a win. They get to keep their lucrative model for a pittance. Even if they pay out a billion a year, what's that compared to the 30% savings over UPS?

bbsam

Staff member
And a lot of people wouldn't. Sam, you have no stats or proof to back up the company about most lawsuits being lost. Now you're beating the dead horse.

If they lost most of them and it became a financial pit, why wouldn't they change their model? Why do you need a number to it? It wouldn't mean a thing. You and I know Fedex is motivated by profit. Put two and two together. The winning is on the balance sheet.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If they lost most of them and it became a financial pit, why wouldn't they change their model? Why do you need a number to it? It wouldn't mean a thing. You and I know Fedex is motivated by profit. Put two and two together. The winning is on the balance sheet.
You're the one who said they've won more lawsuits than lost. The only way to back it up with numbers otherwise it's just heresay. FedEx is motivated by numbers too in case you have (obviously) forgotten.

bbsam

Staff member
Wow. Ok, I'll restate it differently. Fedex obviously views its legal strategy regarding Ground's model as a winning one. So even if they lose legal challenges, those losses have not affected a move away from a contractor/ISP model and thus far it seems that constitutes a win to the company.

hypo hanna

It's a cost benefit analysis. As long as the benefit exceeds the cost, (that includes legal and PR cost), they will continue with the model. There are no considerations for ethics or any human cost.

bbsam

Staff member
It's a cost benefit analysis. As long as the benefit exceeds the cost, (that includes legal and PR cost), they will continue with the model. There are no considerations for ethics or any human cost.
Exactly. Thank-you. And with the cost advantage they have over UPS, they can afford to have a very, very large legal/PR fund.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Exactly. And if he has the resources to ride it out, Fedex can afford to settle out of court without admitting fault and make him go away.

The neat thing about that strategy is the dividend that is pays out in the future. Every case that FedEx wins, and every case that a plaintiff settles with the agreement that FedEx will admit no guilt to anything, is a case that can't be used to establish a pattern of wrongdoing, if in fact there is any.

When the plaintiffs agree to these settlements, they are screwing those who work there now and anyone that may have reason to sue on similar grounds in the future. As Hannah would say, it's a cost-benefit analysis with no regard for ethics or human cost. It looks like both sides of the issue have that issue.