Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

browntroll

this is the reason i dont want to become a driver. first the dog runs up on him which i have a fear of dogs even ones my parents owned,
then the owner runs up on him which imo owner either made a fist or pointed back i cant tell from video. either way it was a bad situation for the
driver and is definately not gonna come out of this one. i did see the black dog stopped when he "stepped" to face it but the white one kept coming.
would i have kicked the dog? hell no i would have backed away with dolly between me and dog.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My .02

The driver may have overreacted slightly to the dog, but if you look carefully at the video it wasn't really a "kick" at all. All he really did was block the dogs forward progress with his foot. The dog never caught air, and it wasn't injured or even intimidated judging by its behavior afterward. This situation would have been defused immediately if our driver would have simply given the dog a biscuit.

As far as the shoving match with the customer goes....the customer approached in an aggressive manner and raised his hand up as if to hit the driver. He got into the drivers "personal space" and the driver pushed him out of that space. I probably would have dealt with the customers behavior in the same way. Don't invade my space.

Our driver was a little bit out of line, but so was the customer. I say give him a warning letter and a large box of dog biscuits and call it good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My .02

The driver may have overreacted slightly to the dog, but if you look carefully at the video it wasn't really a "kick" at all. All he really did was block the dogs forward progress with his foot. The dog never caught air, and it wasn't injured or even intimidated judging by its behavior afterward. This situation would have been defused immediately if our driver would have simply given the dog a biscuit.

As far as the shoving match with the customer goes....the customer approached in an aggressive manner and raised his hand up as if to hit the driver. He got into the drivers "personal space" and the driver pushed him out of that space. I probably would have dealt with the customers behavior in the same way. Don't invade my space.

Our driver was a little bit out of line, but so was the customer. I say give him a warning letter and a large box of dog biscuits and call it good.

Our guy way overreacted and deserves to be immediately terminated.

That dog ran up to him in an inquisitive manner, not an aggressive one.

The hippie responded to our guy's overreaction which then further escalated an already unnecessarily hostile situation.

Johney

Driver is done period. He put his hands on someone in an aggressive manner while wearing brown, personal space or not. Had the guy hit him first, then he pushed him away? Maybe he'd be ok. From what I see he was FAR to aggressive. The whole dog thing is moot at this point.

Overpaid Union Thug

The driver was right hire his handled the dig. He didn't have time to figure out whether the dog or the man (both of which approached him rather fast and aggressively) were going to attack. And that wasn't a kick. It was a harmless nudge. People need to grow a freakin pair and stop being so damn goo goo gaga for those damn dogs and the idiots that own them but can't even control them. I'm not sure about shoving the man but he did come at him aggressively and he didnt exactly have time to back away that fast. He should have left after the initial shove.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I'm usually on the side of the driver but it's pretty obvious that dog wasn't doing anything wrong, even later in the video it was waging it's tail. The drivers reaction to the owner/customer is deplorable. If I was just going by what I see in this video that driver needs to be taken out of service before he hurts someone/something.
How can you tell without sound?

I bet that dog wasn't just rushing out to say "hi".

realbrown1

If you watch the dog approach you can see it was friendly BEFORE the fact. Ears up, tail up, wagging. It just wanted to say hi. And if the driver was so afraid of the dog, why does he so utterly ignore it once the owner shows up? He suddenly doesn't see the dog as a threat at all even as it circles around him.

And while the owner and the driver were obviously arguing, it was the driver that clearly initiated the contact, shoving the owner.

I ride a bicycle quite a bit and this has been a rough week- I've had 5 different loose dogs come after me; one ran out between two parked cars to come after me; I didn't see it until just before it ran into my bike. Most of the owners didn't give a flip that their dog was loose and causing trouble, they just made excuses for them, almost as if it was *my* fault that they didn't properly restrain their dogs. Yes, there's a leash law in my city but I'm not going to kick a dog just because the owner is an idiot.

Just tonight a pit bull came after me and because I was going uphill I couldn't outrun it. So I got off my bike and..... let it lick me as I pet it.

This driver was a real jerk. No reason that I could see to kick the dog. Even if he claimed he was afraid it would attack, that's clearly not the case since he went on to ignore it and not see it as a threat seconds after kicking it, even though it was running all around him.
Dude, you can't tell that without sound.

I've been attact dozens of times and bitten 7 times.

Some of those dogs gave no warning.

Others rushed me like this dog.

Why wasn't the dog on a leash?

realbrown1

Yeah...I could see if it were self-defense, but he clearly pushed him without any real physical contact before that.
How do you know what the man was saying before he got close to that driver.

A lot of things we can't tell from this video because of no audio on that video.

I am giving the driver ALL the benefits of the doubts on this one.

Man should have had his dog restrained.

Rainman

Its all good.

That dog ran up to him in an inquisitive manner, not an aggressive one.

The hippie responded to our guy's overreaction which then further escalated an already unnecessarily hostile situation.

I'm glad I don't work for you. You need to look at both sides, everything isn't black and white, especially when things happen quickly. Usually there is fault on both sides. But I don't think this deserves termination. That's a bit extreme.