center manager Claims that "Record Drive Release" packages are automatic refunds

oldngray

nowhere special
It sounds like another metric that will be used for discipline. Drivers shouldn't break the rules but UPS has reasons for everything it does and if this is the hot topic of the week cover your own ass even if it creates (real) service failures.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wondering if the company will ever crack down on this, I mean everything else generates a report. I was trying to wake up the runners and say be careful with that one.

Feeder drivers have been fired for this. The ones I know of have got their jobs back, but lost a few weeks pay.

A little different than package car drivers, but do this in feeders and it is a DOT violation.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 8 hours without taking a 30 minute rest period. Feeder drivers have started their meal and then moved their tractor, hooked sets up or moved dollies while on their meal.

So in the eyes of the DOT, they are not on meal since they were not relieved of all responsibilities of the tractor, job, trailers, etc. for 30 minutes.

They then finished their meal and continued driving.

Once they reached 8 hours of on duty time, they were in violation of DOT rules, since they did not take a full 30 minute rest period.

It was mainly mileage drivers. They were dropping and hooking, moving dollies on their meal so that they could get back home sooner.

By The Book

Feeder drivers have been fired for this. The ones I know of have got their jobs back, but lost a few weeks pay.

A little different than package car drivers, but do this in feeders and it is a DOT violation.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 8 hours without taking a 30 minute rest period. Feeder drivers have started their meal and then moved their tractor, hooked sets up or moved dollies while on their meal.

So in the eyes of the DOT, they are not on meal since they were not relieved of all responsibilities of the tractor, job, trailers, etc. for 30 minutes.

They then finished their meal and continued driving.

Once they reached 8 hours of on duty time, they were in violation of DOT rules, since they did not take a full 30 minute rest period.

It was mainly mileage drivers. They were dropping and hooking, moving dollies on their meal so that they could get back home sooner.
I think the back home sooner is the reason,other than the bonus in package. That's just a bonus.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Record, drive, deliver. You can walk a mile and it won't matter. It's how people used to cheat on air to make it look like it was delivered on time. It used to be the accepted practice until cnees wised up and sued over it. I guess now it applies to ground too. Just follow the methods and CYA. No big deal.

The only guarantee ground has is transit times, not time commit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wondering if the company will ever crack down on this, I mean everything else generates a report. I was trying to wake up the runners and say be careful with that one.

They have had this information for years-----why would they put an end to something that benefits them? The only time this may be an issue is if the employee in question is involved in an accident.

ManInBrown

It's for airs. Record at 10:27 as stop complete or big arrow down, drive to stop, stop complete at 10:33

I am astounded any driver does this. We had a driver walked off a few weeks ago for this very thing. If it's late, it's late. Oh well. Why would anyone risk losing their job over this?

Fragile

If you're doing it, STOP.

Integrity is a hot topic nationwide. RDR is being looked at closely. Scan in front of customer at the customers delivery location. That's it. You owe to the customer. Who cares about the late air you'll get disciplined for.

The information management has about this practice is extremely accurate. They can pull up coordinates for the stop, the location of the package car, and the physical DIAD scan of every individual package.

As far as apartment buildings are concerned think about it like this. Let's say you have a package for the 18th floor.

10:28 you stopped and turned off your package car. You then walk to the lobby.
10:29 you scan the package.

It's obvious that you didn't make it up to the 18th floor within 2 minutes of arriving at the stop.

Don't bury yourself over nonsense.

Remember that they are using this information not just for NDA, but for closed commercial, commercial sheeted as NI after 17:00, and NDA savers.

S

selfcancelsignal

Maybe the company should change air so that if it's scanned before 10:30, but stop completed after, it's late. Why do they even give drivers this risky option? Oh yeah, to friend--- them over. There must be more & more customers every day calling brown out on this practice. Do any of you actually have customers waiting & looking at the clock when you arrive be it almost late, late, or not? Can't say that I ever have. It's the same as pick up compliance. Most have 0 clue.

reginald95

What about stops where you are at a dock and you have NDA but there is also a bulk stop for it on RDR. Usually you would scan the air then the ground and get one signature for it. You might be done by 1035-1040 by the time you're done.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What about stops where you are at a dock and you have NDA but there is also a bulk stop for it on RDR. Usually you would scan the air then the ground and get one signature for it. You might be done by 1035-1040 by the time you're done.
No, you scan a non-NDA of the bulk stop first then the air then the rest of the bulk stop to make sure you got them all.

porkwagon

It's for airs. Record at 10:27 as stop complete or big arrow down, drive to stop, stop complete at 10:33
That's what we used to call "keeping it on ice." You can't do it anymore. In fact, there was DIAD training on this last year. It will show up on a report, and you will have to deal with more crap than you would if it was late.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They are free to ban all driver releases and hire a lot of new drivers as stop counts will have to go way, way down.