center manager DR's business

tieguy

Banned
that is not a good reason to dr UPS methods say to never dr to a business. Had a driver fired for this same reason

We're going around in circles here because you guys are so eager to fry the center manager.

I gave you an answer based on my perspective and what I as a center manager level person felt would be a good answer and a good response in my perspective in my world. I can't answer for every freakin meteorite that hits somewhere else in the world. In my opinion I would not fire a driver for such a DR and I would find his explanation a reasonable one in that scenario.

I think the fact the center manager had a driver get locked up on route a very unusual situation. I think screaming chicken should find something a little more realistic if he wants to show us how screwed up his center manager is.

screamin chicken

well as a driver I would have looked around the surroundings, then I would have filled out an INFO NOTICE, and I would never had left the pkg. And I never said the center manager manager is screwed up I said the management team as a whole is crooked, and they are out to burn us drivers every chance they get, it might be from the higher up but it still comes down to us.
Just because a person goes to jail does not make him a bad person, he may had a outstanding parking ticket, back child support I do not knoe, I do know that the pkg. should never had been DR and if it was a driver we would be in trouble.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In my opinion I would not fire a driver for such a DR and I would find his explanation a reasonable one in that scenario.

I believe you, but unfortunately by failing to do so you would open yourself up to charges of selectively enforcing the rules.

A better choice for this scenario would be for the center manager to simply man up and admit in front of the center that he screwed up and failed to use the procedures that he expects his own people to follow. No excuses, no justification, just make it clear what is and is not allowed and then move on. An hourly that made this mistake would only receive a warning letter anyway, so let the boss fess up, take his medicine and be done with it.

well as a driver I would have looked around the surroundings, then I would have filled out an INFO NOTICE, and I would never had left the pkg.

Unless it is a shipper release.

And I never said the center manager manager is screwed up I said the management team as a whole is crooked, and they are out to burn us drivers every chance they get, it might be from the higher up but it still comes down to us.

Good idea fire every driver. Come on, you know they only go after the jerks.

Just because a person goes to jail does not make him a bad person, he may had a outstanding parking ticket, back child support I do not knoe, I do know that the pkg. should never had been DR and if it was a driver we would be in trouble.

So you get a warning letter, what's the big dael?

screamin chicken

Well lets make it simple, it was obvious it was not a basic (shipper release) because common sense would have told you I would have never responded in this manner. And being a jerk I never have been, but with the management team I have (tieguy) included, because he seems to be brain washed like the rest of them I am learning how to play there game and I only act the way I am treated.

I know you're not that stupid trp so I'll assume you're just trying to be difficult.
Not really trying to be difficult, just taking the OP and the replies in black and white. It is a fact that company policy is to not DR a business, no exceptions (except for shipper release). We are not even allowed to set a package out of reach of the public at a business, point it out to the customer and DR as MCM, we are required to get a signature. If a driver does this and management finds out, the driver can indeed be in some degree of trouble, regardless of the situation. As I see it, the real problem here is that the center manager has, by example, set himself up as being above the rules because he is the one that is supposed to enforce the rules. That is not leadership, it is "Do as I say, not as I do".
I don't consider myself stupid, I do however sometimes think I am a bit stubborn. But if that's a crime, you'd be my cell mate.

tieguy

Banned
Not really trying to be difficult, just taking the OP and the replies in black and white. It is a fact that company policy is to not DR a business, no exceptions (except for shipper release). We are not even allowed to set a package out of reach of the public at a business, point it out to the customer and DR as MCM, we are required to get a signature. If a driver does this and management finds out, the driver can indeed be in some degree of trouble, regardless of the situation. As I see it, the real problem here is that the center manager has, by example, set himself up as being above the rules because he is the one that is supposed to enforce the rules. That is not leadership, it is "Do as I say, not as I do".
I don't consider myself stupid, I do however sometimes think I am a bit stubborn. But if that's a crime, you'd be my cell mate.

It is what it is. He's the center manager he is empowered to make that decision.

tieguy

Banned
Ya I know. I'm thinking he has me on ignore. At least he's doing an admirable job of it.LOL

no ignore and not sure what I was supposed to respond to other then your point that you agreed with trp and sober.

At this point the debate is at a dead end because we don't know what the service issues were at the time the center manager and his sup were stuck with that route.

Obviously we would like to think he could make service on everything and provide the service we expect.

From what we do know the center manager didn't decide to go out and deliver a route that day and just decide to not do the job by the methods.

He got surprised with one his driver getting into an accident and second where the driver got arrested.

We don't know what drivers he had available in the area to help get it delivered.

we don't know what service issues he had on that car. Its possible he faced a situation where he had multiple packages that were in danger of missing thier required service.

All of the packages that do miss are subject to the service guarantee.

In such a possible scenario the center manager has the authority to evaluate the possible service issues and to make decisions that will minimize the number of service failures. Any operations manager has had to make those decisions.

If the DR package ends up a claim he has to answer for it.

If there are service failures he has to answer for them.

If you think his having to answer for those decisions is easy then you need to walk in his shoes.

If you think you can do that job better then you should be wearing the tie and making those decisions.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
no ignore and not sure what I was supposed to respond to other then your point that you agreed with trp and sober.

At this point the debate is at a dead end because we don't know what the service issues were at the time the center manager and his sup were stuck with that route.

Obviously we would like to think he could make service on everything and provide the service we expect.

From what we do know the center manager didn't decide to go out and deliver a route that day and just decide to not do the job by the methods.

He got surprised with one his driver getting into an accident and second where the driver got arrested.

We don't know what drivers he had available in the area to help get it delivered.

we don't know what service issues he had on that car. Its possible he faced a situation where he had multiple packages that were in danger of missing thier required service.

All of the packages that do miss are subject to the service guarantee.

In such a possible scenario the center manager has the authority to evaluate the possible service issues and to make decisions that will minimize the number of service failures. Any operations manager has had to make those decisions.

If the DR package ends up a claim he has to answer for it.

If there are service failures he has to answer for them.

If you think his having to answer for those decisions is easy then you need to walk in his shoes.

If you think you can do that job better then you should be wearing the tie and making those decisions.

These are the situations we as drivers face on a daily basis, especially with all the unfamiliar and extra work added due to the breaking of routes. We HAVE to make all commits and we HAVE to use all methods period. If you think we are ahead of schedule and always delivering in order you haven't run a route for the new UPS. Also, when you DR a business it automatically gets billed the residential charge. How do you explain to the shipper that the package he sent to a business is now being billed as a residential, not signed for, because someone felt a little pressure and cracked. BM

tieguy

Banned
These are the situations we as drivers face on a daily basis, especially with all the unfamiliar and extra work added due to the breaking of routes. We HAVE to make all commits and we HAVE to use all methods period. If you think we are ahead of schedule and always delivering in order you haven't run a route for the new UPS. Also, when you DR a business it automatically gets billed the residential charge. How do you explain to the shipper that the package he sent to a business is now being billed as a residential, not signed for, because someone felt a little pressure and cracked. BM

In all honesty its a little more then feeling a little pressure.

I don't know why we would bother starting you so early in the morning if you can go blind at 2 pm and make service on everything....:)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In all honesty its a little more then feeling a little pressure.

I don't know why we would bother starting you so early in the morning if you can go blind at 2 pm and make service on everything....:)
No Tie, I'm not good enough to get thrown on a rte in the middle of the afternoon and make service on everything. But, I am good enough to know how to do my job, the right way. Anything that can't get properly serviced comes back as missed. That isn't my service failure, that is the company service failure.

tieguy

Banned
No Tie, I'm not good enough to get thrown on a rte in the middle of the afternoon and make service on everything. But, I am good enough to know how to do my job, the right way. Anything that can't get properly serviced comes back as missed. That isn't my service failure, that is the company service failure.

Thats the right answer in your case. Not necessarily arguing that point.

I may argue that they become our service failures. The company did not arrest that driver and put those packages in jeopardy either.