Center Mgr Quits

L

Love it or shove it

New managment hire announced today in my district. Hired into management off the street directly into management. The new MAP process is restricting current employees from moving into management. Now UPS can justify hiring management directly off the street. Seems like it's planned to me!

reydluap

Hangingon & wkmac.......... WELL SAID!!!

When this "kid" grows up and shows the senior employees the respect that WE EARNED, I'll respect his opinion. The "kids" now a days don't realize that we senior drivers stood out in the rain on a picket line to earn their chance at a full time job at UPS. Now he wants me to get out of the way so he can take over. With an attitude like he has shown, I wouldn't step aside and give someone like this the chance to take over.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
YAKMASTA said:
CMON OLD TIMERS RETIRE MAKE SOME ROOM FOR US BOTTOM GUYS ONLY 5 YEARS WITH BIG BROWN AND I WANNA DRIVE A REAL TRUCK IM TIRED OF ALL THESE DAME CUSTOMERS AND THERE SOB STORIES JUST TO GET A SECOND DELIVERY ATTEMPT THE SAME DAY !!! WHAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAA !!! ITS OUR TURN !!!:tongue_sm

As a service, "if" we can a second delivery attempt isnt out of the question. Whats wrong with that??? For medicine, for a gift, for something that could be important to a person who needs it, certainly. a phone for some dumb "youngster", nahhhhhh. Not today.

wkmac

Funny, I remember a UPS where we lived by the motto,

"EVERY PACKAGE, EVERY DAY!"

Boy, have we departed from that concept!

pinkie333

Of course the manager quit. He must have found out like I did, that a newly promoted supervisor makes as much as he does. Because the driver's make more than a supervisor, the inticement to take a supervisory job consists of a 20% raise in what he was making as a driver. My supervisor is upset because the guy they promoted a month ago is making 900 more a month than he is. Well you asked if a trend was in the making, when it is well known to all the supervisors and managers that a brand new supervisor makes what a manager does and lots more than a supervisor with years of experience I would have to vote for a trend in the making.

S

speeddemon

I will try to get some numbers on this next week, but as I see it, the harder they push UPS labor, our accidents and injuries have gone up too. There goes your savings into the red bigtime.

over9five

Staff member
Excellent post, George! Your concise, well thought ideas have quite impressed me.
You are a great addition to the forum. Please continue posting!

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Speaking of managers leaving--------this is the time of year that they should do it--right before peak season.With some UPS training, most of our managers could go elsewhere and be an asset to companies----and I see more of our younger Mangers doing it before they get locked in by age--or stock.

I have known some managers who are doing quite well with other companies----there is life after UPS!!

hangingon-----a buy out like GM???? I see UPS doing something and than from that point on there will be no more Teamsters Pension Plan------it will be a 401k match, that the employee has control over.I think it is close to being a reality for non-union UPSers------and I really think it would be a good way for UPS to get away from bankrolling the Teamsters--especailly those Teamsters who never worked for UPS, but UPS is subsidizing their pensions!! I would think this will be one of the options in the new 2008 Contract???

satellitedriver

Our center manager put in his two week notice a few days ago. Hes going to work for a architectual firm. Ups just spent big money on buying him a home to move him back from where he was. Could this be the beginning of a trend?
I have seen 13 center managers come and go in 20 years. It is not new trend.

ups_vette

wkmack...... I found your post on the 3 stage extend with a 1800 unload rate to be quite detailed You put in a lot of thought to reach your conclusion that a 1800 unload rate is not obtainable. However, the one thing you had not considered was that the 1800 rate is based on GROSS number of packages. I'm sure you're aware that a typical inbound hub load contains bags of smalls. These bags contain an average of 25-30 or more small packages These smalls reduce the gross number of packages in a trailor by 22 to 27%.

A trailor with 1800 packages contains 20 bags of smalls, with an average of 25 packages per bag. This reduces the 1800 GROSS packages to 1320 NET packages. (1800-500+20=1320)

Thus the 3 stage extendo need only to handle 1300 to 1400 NET packages per hour, a rate that is obtainable

Foamer Pyle

I hate it when some smuck says drivers make 80k a year?? I work about 6 hours overtime every week and will just make 65k. Drivers pay is in the 50k range before overtime. I

breadbooze

I hate it when some smuck says drivers make 80k a year?? I work about 6 hours overtime every week and will just make 65k. Drivers pay is in the 50k range before overtime. I

The drivers I know in metro NY make 80-90k a year. The guys around here are around 60-75k. the COLA varies by region I think

DS

Fenderbender
Not picking on drivers as they are the heartbeat of the company .
Hey wkmac this is so true.Too bad UPS has not found a way to create a positive way for them to participate in the growth of the company instead of making thier job next to impossible.

beano8

Wily , you're right on the money. Going to be an interesting experiment. We have about 15 openings in the district and have two applicants that have passed the new promotion process. Good young kids that have shown the ability to lead under fire can't get past the tests. Once the applicant fails he can't retest for a year. Wouldn't be surprised to see some talent leave the company rather than take a chance on waiting a year and failing again.
Hey Tie. Actually if someone doesn't pass the test, they can retest after 6 months. Maybe they do it different in your district, but in my district it is 6 months.

LKLND3380

I will try to get some numbers on this next week, but as I see it, the harder they push UPS labor, our accidents and injuries have gone up too. There goes your savings into the red bigtime.

Seems like this same thing happens at my center...

NOW
We are getting 21 trailers now and running 7 unloaders/7 sorters and doing in within 4 1/2 hours

BEFORE PEAK
we were getting 18 trailers and running 6 unloaders/6 sorters and doing it within 4 1/2 hours... (we average 17 to 19 trailers non peak)

So we have increased the amount of work flow but not the amount of time allowed... So that guy who was stacked out before is getting blown out and burried loading those same trucks.

We already had two injuries this week...