Center Mgr Quits

govols019

You smell that?
I think I'm going to throw up. rydulap didn't stand on a picket line to get you some ill concieved, poorly designed combo jobs. Rydulap stood on the line because Ron Carey told him UPS was going to try to steal their pension. 10 years later Carey is disgraced and we are still trying to fix the pensions.

Do you get up every day and take a bitter pill or something?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think I'm going to throw up. rydulap didn't stand on a picket line to get you some ill concieved, poorly designed combo jobs. Rydulap stood on the line because Ron Carey told him UPS was going to try to steal their pension. 10 years later Carey is disgraced and we are still trying to fix the pensions.
Really tie? You have inside info that ups was going to give us those 10,000 new combo jobs before the strike happened? Ups argued that it was impossible to create inside friend-time jobs due to hours, and how physical the work was! Tie stop living in the past! Maybe you and ron could go out and have a couple shirley temples together and make nice!

Since when did Uncle Buster start allowing management to work out a two week notice? Must be the new UPS. At one time one just cleaned out the lap drawer and left, we couldn't stay after telling "them" we had something else. :thumbup1:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Since when did Uncle Buster start allowing management to work out a two week notice? Must be the new UPS. At one time one just cleaned out the lap drawer and left, we couldn't stay after telling "them" we had something else. :thumbup1:

It might depend on your location. I knew a supe at Chicago that was supposed to go on vacation and was told, "Don't bother coming back. We'll consider your two week vacation your notice." Then, here I hear a p/t supe is leaving, made part of his two week notice into his vacation AND is coming back for 5 days AFTER his vacation! Truth be told...across the board as far as management and notices, I think they should be told to remove their property from the premises and depart--IMMEDIATELY!! If word gets out that they're leaving, it just demoralizes the workforce. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
Really tie? You have inside info that ups was going to give us those 10,000 new combo jobs before the strike happened? Ups argued that it was impossible to create inside friend-time jobs due to hours, and how physical the work was! Tie stop living in the past! Maybe you and ron could go out and have a couple shirley temples together and make nice!

Ah but history must be revisted so you learn from your mistakes. 10 years ago ups was serious about helping the teamsters fix the pensions. All we heard was about the bogeyman in the woods while the careyman picked your pocket.

So as we again go into this discussion about the same issue 10 years later there will be some that again give us the bogeyman scare tactic to again try to keep the teamsters in formation as they walk off the cliff.

So yes I know it hurts to think you were fooled by ron carey back then but you have to go through the process so you can learn from it and grow stronger.

tieguy

Banned
Do you get up every day and take a bitter pill or something?

not bitter at vols . Call it a truth pill instead. Its a very honest evaluation of those events. The full time jobs was a terrific marketing campaign that carey had allready put in place long before . In fact the professional marketing campaign was probably the biggest indicator that carey did not plan to negotiate a contract but wanted to walk out. You don't set that up in a couple of days. He had that set up well ahead of the strike with every intent to walk. He needed public support and he needed to get the part timers supporting the cause when p/ters were never involved otherwise. But the real issue was always the pension. carey told everyone that the bogeyman ups was trying to steal the pension. In fact his actions stole it and here we are ten years later hoping ups can somehow work some magic and fix it.

Should we forget history and make the same stupid mistakes again just so I don't sound bitter. Should I neuter this answer somehow so you feel better when you read it or should I be honest in my evaluation of where we now stand. If you don't like the honesty if it hurts your feelings tell me and i'll try to turn it down a little. I try to be honest with everything I say. I've told you when I think management does something that embarasses me. I've apologized to people here when I or some other managment person does something thats wrong. I don't believe in sugercoating. its really a waste of time but bitter is not part of the equation.

705red

Browncafe Steward
not bitter at vols . Call it a truth pill instead. Its a very honest evaluation of those events. The full time jobs was a terrific marketing campaign that carey had allready put in place long before . In fact the professional marketing campaign was probably the biggest indicator that carey did not plan to negotiate a contract but wanted to walk out. You don't set that up in a couple of days. He had that set up well ahead of the strike with every intent to walk. He needed public support and he needed to get the part timers supporting the cause when p/ters were never involved otherwise. But the real issue was always the pension. carey told everyone that the bogeyman ups was trying to steal the pension. In fact his actions stole it and here we are ten years later hoping ups can somehow work some magic and fix it.

Should we forget history and make the same stupid mistakes again just so I don't sound bitter. Should I neuter this answer somehow so you feel better when you read it or should I be honest in my evaluation of where we now stand. If you don't like the honesty if it hurts your feelings tell me and i'll try to turn it down a little. I try to be honest with everything I say. I've told you when I think management does something that embarasses me. I've apologized to people here when I or some other managment person does something thats wrong. I don't believe in sugercoating. its really a waste of time but bitter is not part of the equation.

Ah but history must be revisted so you learn from your mistakes. 10 years ago ups was serious about helping the teamsters fix the pensions. All we heard was about the bogeyman in the woods while the careyman picked your pocket.

So as we again go into this discussion about the same issue 10 years later there will be some that again give us the bogeyman scare tactic to again try to keep the teamsters in formation as they walk off the cliff.

So yes I know it hurts to think you were fooled by ron carey back then but you have to go through the process so you can learn from it and grow stronger.

Tie if you want to remember history, wasnt it ups that said this is our last and final offer? Wasnt it also ups that said take it or leave it? Wasnt it also ups that said you wont go on strike the teamsters arent as strong as they once were and that upsers dont care about the teamsters and would cross the picket lines in droves? What would you have done in careys position? He did what any of us here would have done when dealing with arrogance like that! You know what it worked we stuck together on the picket line for over two weeks and since that strike we have gotten well over 10,000 new fulltime jobs for our part-time workforce, the starting pay was raised .50 for p-timers in 97(was not raised in 02), we have 9.5 language, we have 8 hour requests now, p-timers now receive prescription cards(02 contract) i could go on and on.

Ups since the strike of 97 has also gained in this, even with the friend-timers going up roughly $9 an hour. Ups has profited $28 billion since 1997 while making us the highest paid in the industry. So you sit here and blame ron carey for the pension crisis when the truth is who knows how it would have been handled if he wasnt black listed by the government for basically calling ups's bluff!

Alot of people blame ron for what has happened since 97 which is very unfair, but the truth be told he could have forced feed us a bs contract or he could have stood upto the the mighty ups machine with endless resources. Im glad he had the stones to do what he did by pulling us out on strike. You will not meet to many people that work for ups that have been wronged in one way or another and were glad to get back at the company by walking that line. For that 2 plus week period you actually felt something special was happening, friend-timers and p-timers standing side by side in unity to help each other out. I meet alot of people out there that are now very good friends of mine, friends that i will have after i leave ups and friends that i will have until the day i die!

Tie you always seem to see the company as never having any flaws, the fact is ups pushed ron to striking and you know it!!!! Ups was shocked when the country came around us and showed support by walking our line with us, so if you want to blame ron, you better be able to take the blinders off and admit that ups is also responsible for the strike. You better ask ups if they have learned from the past, because i for one would walk the picket line again if its needed!

govols019

You smell that?
How bout booted and banished.

Let's not forget found innocent on all charges.

What Carey was guilty of was making the Old Guard in the Teamsters look bad.

I would love to see what our Union would look like today if he were still in charge versus that thing we have as Union President now.

moreluck

golden ticket member
govols019.....I need to ask a question that's been bothering me.....did the little kid in your avatar shoot off his left arm, or is it just hidden behind him ?? :sad:

tieguy

Banned
You're right red its important to fool yourself into believing you got something from that strike. Meanwhile we are still trying to fix the pensions 10 years later. You should hang your head in shame for even trying to sell 97 as some type of win when your brothers in CS and other pension plans are now suffering as a direct result of Carey refusing to listen when ups was willing to help him fix this mess.

tieguy

Banned
Let's not forget found innocent on all charges.

What Carey was guilty of was making the Old Guard in the Teamsters look bad.

I would love to see what our Union would look like today if he were still in charge versus that thing we have as Union President now.

booted and banished. Nothings changed there right? Careys not allowed to participate in any union activities?

tieguy

Banned

A smoldering pile of ash comes to mind.

You don't think Carey would actually entertain any thoughts of ups help fixing these pension plans after he ran away from such help in 97 do you?

What you probably would have had is another strike 6 years ago, a ups a lot smaller then what you have now and a fdx that is a lot stronger then they are now. Carey still does not understand how many union jobs he lost when he walked in 97. About 90 percent of all shippers were single carrier prior to 97. now about 15 percent are. Most of those who were single carrier switched after the 97 strike as a result of that strike. Carey cost the teamsters 10's of thousands of full time jobs since then. Yet some of you like to consol yours by telling yourselves you won those lower paying ill concieved combo jobs instead. Its amazing that 10 years later some of you still don't get it. Carey lost you so many more jobs then he ever gained when he walked out in 97 to seek his glory. His calling at your expense.

UPS Lifer

Well REYDLUAP , I will THANK YOU for standing in the rain on the picket line and I will stand with you on that same rainy picket line. I look to Senior Driver's for advice and direction. You gotta say something about a person that has done this for years and years. God Bless You.

Amy,
Why are you talking about a picket line? When I read about a reference like that, I think of strike ....and I can't imagine why you would be thinking in those terms.

Everyone at UPS needs to be thinking positively about the next contract. Our competition is in a much better position to capitalize on UPS if we do not settle this in short order. FedEx, DHL, etc, has/have been building a strong ground network ever since the last strike....all they need now are our packages!!!

If we start losing customers we may lose jobs at every level that we may not see again. Some of our employees will be fortunate enough to find work with some of the other non-union carriers at a reduction in pay and benefits but most will have to start over.

We all have to work together to prevent the competition from taking our well-deserved market share. In fact, we need to mount aggressive campaigns to take more volume away from that competition so that we can continue to build our company and employees and make UPS one of the best companies to work for.

I strongly believe that UPS is one of the few avenues open to lower and middle class folks to fulfill the American dream and offer prosperity to all employees who take advantage of it.

I know, I started at the bottom like most of us and I still pinch myself in the morning because it feels like a dream!

Channahon

New managment hire announced today in my district. Hired into management off the street directly into management. The new MAP process is restricting current employees from moving into management. Now UPS can justify hiring management directly off the street. Seems like it's planned to me!

What is the position of the new hire?
UPS does not have to justify hiring off the street, if there are no candidates that can fill a position.

The MAPP is in place to ensure consistency in the promotion process, all applicants are given the same opportunity to respond to all portions of the process.
Some employees fair better than others, and some employees are nervous wrecks.

When I sat on panel interviews I would do everything I could to put the employee at ease. Understanding sitting in front of 3-4 senior management can put some employees on edge.

I will say an employee responding with confidence and professionalism goes a long way with the panel.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You're right red its important to fool yourself into believing you got something from that strike. Meanwhile we are still trying to fix the pensions 10 years later. You should hang your head in shame for even trying to sell 97 as some type of win when your brothers in CS and other pension plans are now suffering as a direct result of Carey refusing to listen when ups was willing to help him fix this mess.
Tie the only one that should be hanging their head in shame is you my friend! I sure hope you have proof that the cs pension is in its condition as a result of the strike that we the members voted on, ron would not have been able to call that strike without the members! Tie ups trustees have not voted to cut the benefits in the western fund recently even though that fund is at 100% funded now have they? You have your opinion on it basically because you and ever other management cronie still have that sour taste in your mouth because you could not run the business in that situation without us upsers who are the backbone of this company! Its showed you management types that you are replaceable but we are not! Tie move on with your life and stop living in the 90s!

705red

Browncafe Steward
A smoldering pile of ash comes to mind.

You don't think Carey would actually entertain any thoughts of ups help fixing these pension plans after he ran away from such help in 97 do you?

What you probably would have had is another strike 6 years ago, a ups a lot smaller then what you have now and a fdx that is a lot stronger then they are now. Carey still does not understand how many union jobs he lost when he walked in 97. About 90 percent of all shippers were single carrier prior to 97. now about 15 percent are. Most of those who were single carrier switched after the 97 strike as a result of that strike. Carey cost the teamsters 10's of thousands of full time jobs since then. Yet some of you like to consol yours by telling yourselves you won those lower paying ill concieved combo jobs instead. Its amazing that 10 years later some of you still don't get it. Carey lost you so many more jobs then he ever gained when he walked out in 97 to seek his glory. His calling at your expense.
Tie again your talking out your backside! You (ups management) have done alot more to the customers and have lost us alot more jobs than our strike in 97 and your perceived possible strike of 02! You break out the routes this changing delivery times and pick up times of our customers resulting in them switching carriers so they can run their business so they can receive their deliveries in the morning and turn it around to be shipoped out that same day, which is impossible o do know with your new and improved ups. Your business development gurus are out selling ups freight and logistics instead of small package! Management micro manages every number on the reports to the point that this are reports for the stinking reports! Not to mention that moral around the country is down on our(drivers) side that we are not interested in helping you grow the business because we cant fit anymore work in our trucks until you allow us to start strapping it down on our roof tops as we leave the building every morning! So dont stand here and tell us we are the reason we are losing customers because we voted to go on strike against the great kostapo that you want us to believe have our best interests at hand! Look in the mirror next time all of you managers get together to have one of your back patting meetings with catered food so you can blow smoke up your butts telling each other how good you are at managing the business,(i mean mis managing) and remember you only have this job because of the hard work of us from the p-timers that load our trks to us that deliver and fill them back upto to the kids that unload them just to load them into a semi so the feeder driver can move them from point a to point b, its us that overcome your screw ups on a daily basis to make the customers that we have happy! NOT YOU!

tieguy

Banned
Tie the only one that should be hanging their head in shame is you my friend! I sure hope you have proof that the cs pension is in its condition as a result of the strike that we the members voted on, ron would not have been able to call that strike without the members! Tie ups trustees have not voted to cut the benefits in the western fund recently even though that fund is at 100% funded now have they? You have your opinion on it basically because you and ever other management cronie still have that sour taste in your mouth because you could not run the business in that situation without us upsers who are the backbone of this company! Its showed you management types that you are replaceable but we are not! Tie move on with your life and stop living in the 90s!

Red I must say its dissapointing to see you still have not learned your lesson after all this time. Your brothers in CS are suffering as a result of Careys drive for glory. You continue to live in denial while your brothers in CS suffers the affects of Carey. So while you give lip service to their cause its clear you have not learned anything and really don't care about their plight since your retirement is presently ok.