CENTRAL PA BUILDING MOVES

Sporhwhore

Hello to all! This is my first post although I’ve been lurking for a few years! I was just wondering if there are any fellow upsers on here from the Harrisburg/ Carlisle area? If there are you have to be asking yourself the same question I am: what is the company thinking moving all these routes to Carlisle? For the past 10 years all we hear is miles miles miles! Now with all these routes moving to Carlisle the miles are gonna skyrocket. Also the company only allowed the bid drivers to follow any of the work even though with the mileage differential many more bids will be created meaning the TCD from the old buildings will be pretty much screwed and part time for life.... Any thoughts?

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Hello to all! This is my first post although I’ve been lurking for a few years! I was just wondering if there are any fellow upsers on here from the Harrisburg/ Carlisle area? If there are you have to be asking yourself the same question I am: what is the company thinking moving all these routes to Carlisle? For the past 10 years all we hear is miles miles miles! Now with all these routes moving to Carlisle the miles are gonna skyrocket. Also the company only allowed the bid drivers to follow any of the work even though with the mileage differential many more bids will be created meaning the TCD from the old buildings will be pretty much screwed and part time for life.... Any thoughts?
It’s UPS......What did you expect?

Sporhwhore

I expected some of our 10 year cover drivers would have been able to transfer to the new center! Some of them are long term dues paying members who could be without a job after peak.... meanwhile some off the street hire may walk into a full time bid without ever even working a second of preload and zero wait time to become full time! Doesn’t seem fair!

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
I expected some of our 10 year cover drivers would have been able to transfer to the new center! Some of them are long term dues paying members who could be without a job after peak.... meanwhile some off the street hire may walk into a full time bid without ever even working a second of preload and zero wait time to become full time! Doesn’t seem fair!
I agree that would make sense but They don’t always do what makes sense.

Sporhwhore

Not sure how our business agent couldn’t have negotiated a few extra full time positions as the way it looks this peak around these parts could result in late air everyday, missed pieces daily and 60 hour work weeks for all.... meanwhile the buildings that lost the said routes will have a surplus drivers and 8 and skate days for most of peak besides the obvious week after thanksgiving and week before Christmas!

rod

Retired 22 years
Not sure how our business agent couldn’t have negotiated a few extra full time positions as the way it looks this peak around these parts could result in late air everyday, missed pieces daily and 60 hour work weeks for all.... meanwhile the buildings that lost the said routes will have a surplus drivers and 8 and skate days for most of peak besides the obvious week after thanksgiving and week before Christmas!
Remember--UPS has every right to run their own company into the ground.

driver matt

So I work in a center that recently moved buildings much further away from our territory and all the the planned days were cut to adjust for mileage. It was actually pretty awesome. An hour 1/2 - 2 hours of just driving back to the building. Don’t think any TCDs got screwed because most of them have a pretty quick opportunity to go full time but that definitely sounds like bs.

WTFm8

They’ve been having York cover drivers come to Harrisburg to help all week, even a couple came Saturday. There were many 2-3 day service failures on the package cars. They clock in and take a package car and drive from York to Harrisburg to get the work/Harrisburg package car then drive to/deliver York, then drive 20-40 miles back to Harrisburg, then drive back to York to the center.

Easiest 1.5hrs of OT ever from all the extra driving.

Dispatch was smart enough to not even run the same plan so not only were packages assigned different shelves, they were assigned different routes.

Friday I was missing nearly 20 packages and had 8 missloads.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
union power

Sporhwhore

Go to the monthly membership meeting at Harrisburg Local 776 hall and voice your opinion.

It’s today at 10am.
We had an open meeting about a month ago it seems as if “ it’s their company they can do what they want “ was the answer to the problem!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Carlisle really isnt that far from Harrisburg. As long as the company is following the contract language on change of operations there's not much you can do about it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Go to the monthly membership meeting at Harrisburg Local 776 hall and voice your opinion.

It’s today at 10am.

We had an open meeting about a month ago it seems as if “ it’s their company they can do what they want “ was the answer to the problem!

Did you go to your monthly meeting this morning and ask ?

As long as the company is following the contract language on change of operations there's not much you can do about it.

Article 38, spells it out.

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

If there are you have to be asking yourself the same question I am: what is the company thinking moving all these routes to Carlisle? For the past 10 years all we hear is miles miles miles! Now with all these routes moving to Carlisle the miles are gonna skyrocket.

I understand your point.... but it's a moot observation.

Sporhwhore

Article 38 section 2 as far as I know part timers are not allowed to transfer permanently but instead the company is using them to work in the new building until they hire enough drivers to essentially take what should have been their jobs in the first place!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article 38 section 2 as far as I know part timers are not allowed to transfer permanently but instead the company is using them to work in the new building until they hire enough drivers to essentially take what should have been their jobs in the first place!
Whenever a center or hub is partially closed and the work of package drivers and all other regular employees, part-time and full-time, excluding feeder drivers, is transferred to or absorbed by another center, the affected employees may either follow their work and have their seniority dovetailed in the new center or be allowed to exercise their seniority in their present center and dis-place the least senior employee in their respective classifications.