Central states- ground pay for air drivers

I am an exception air driver
As an air exception driver you will only receive ground pay for the driving portion regardless of how much time you spent doing ground work. The 22.3 guys tell me they are paid ground rate for the entire day. Also the PT bid air drivers but I never have.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am an exception air driver

You do not get ground pay for the whole day-----just for the on road part.

As an air exception driver you will only receive ground pay for the driving portion regardless of how much time you spent doing ground work. The 22.3 guys tell me they are paid ground rate for the entire day. Also the PT bid air drivers but I never have.

Oh.......Bubbles was wrong......again.

upschuck

No way they are going to pay this kid $35/hr or whatever top rate is now for slinging boxes. If they are going to pay that much they would have him sweep major pickup stops.
That's their decision. It is to prevent them from running short staffed, and use them as a crutch.

Last edited:

johnny_hotdog

I am in the Central and what I have been told is you are paid full wage for the time you spend delivering ground. But, if you deliver ground over 4 hours then you get full wage for the entire days work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am in the Central and what I have been told is you are paid full wage for the time you spend delivering ground. But, if you deliver ground over 4 hours then you get full wage for the entire days work.

Yep.

"When an employee is required to spend more than one (1) hour, but less than four (4) hours, of his/her workday upon a job providing a higher rate of pay, he/she shall receive four (4) hours’ guarantee at the higher rate; for work in excess of four (4) hours at a higher pay classification, he/she shall receive eight (8) hours’ guarantee at a higher rate."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

My Local has 22.3 yard shifters that clean up on this language. They are paid feeder

rate while working the yard, one click over 4 hours.... and top rate all day. During

peak, they can work 15-16 hours in the yard. Some don't want to go home.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It is National. So why is there so much confusion. It doesn't state how long they need to pay you if you do other jobs, like preload or local sort

There is so much confusion because you are listening to management. They are lying to you. You need to talk to your steward or BA. I posted the contact info for the two locals in Iowa in the other thread in which you were asking these questions.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It is who administrates the pension and health and welfare benefits for Teamsters in the Central Region.

The Central Region has nothing to do with it, as this issue is covered by Article 40 of the National Master and stands alone.

....and cannot be superseded by forward language in any supplement, rider, or addendum.

I already tried explaining this stuff to her. I believe the ground exception violation can be augmented by supplement language.