CEO Pay

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS Chief Eskew Granted $4.1 Million in 2006 Compensation

Call me crazy, but I think this is low compared to other bigwigs out there. I remember reading where some CEO got a $40 million bonus on top of his ungodly amount of salary.

I think this is reasonable compensation for the job he has.

psstdrvr

Imagine what he'd get paid if the stock appreciated in value!!!! After the stock performance's record since going public, he should take a cut.

hoser

Industrial Slob

Call me crazy, but I think this is low compared to other bigwigs out there. I remember reading where some CEO got a $40 million bonus on top of his ungodly amount of salary.

Agreed. He is doing a good job, and while many industries are freaking out due to high oil and/or outsourcing, UPS is capitalizing on this, they're innovative. UPS is like bank in the 1950s; she's stable and will always have a place in our economy, even if adjustments are necessary.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here's where I read it......

AP
UPS Chief Receives $4.1M in 2006
Monday March 19, 4:21 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer UPS Chief Eskew Granted $4.1 Million in 2006 Compensation

ATLANTA (AP) -- The chief executive of UPS Inc., Michael Eskew, was granted $4.13 million in total compensation last year as valued by the company, according to an analysis of a regulatory filing Monday by the world's largest shipping carrier.
The Associated Press calculations of total compensation include salary, bonus, incentives, perks, any above-market returns on deferred compensation and the estimated value of stock options and awards granted during the year.
Eskew's compensation included a salary of $988,000, a bonus of $41,500, non-equity incentive plan compensation of $174,300 and other compensation of $33,137. He also was granted stock and options that had an estimated value of $2,893,720 on the days they were granted.
UPS' annual proxy said that the Atlanta-based company did not provide any above-market or preferential earnings for its deferred compensation plan.
The income reported as other compensation for Eskew included matching contributions for a 401(k) plan, life insurance premiums and other benefits. Eskew did not receive any perquisites, except for $11,175 for financial planning services, UPS said.
The AP, after consultations with executive pay consulting firms and accounting experts, developed its own formula for interpreting the expanded disclosures U.S. public companies must make starting this year about what they pay their top executives.
UPS, also known as United Parcel Service, will hold its annual meeting of shareholders on May 10 in Wilmington, Del.
The meeting agenda includes the election of the board of directors to serve for another year and the ratification of the company's independent accountant.
UPS Inc.: http://www.ups.com

browniehound

Mike Eskew is the CEO of a multi-billion dollar a year enterprise. 4 million bucks a year seems like a lot, but compared to his peers, I believe he is under-compensated.

At the same time, if the company is increasing profits every year, I believe the workers should see an increase in their wages or salary also.

over9five

Staff member
"I believe he is under-compensated."

His hands aren't tied. Nobody is forcing him to work here. If he's so underpaid, he should find another job.

Don't let the door hit you in the a...

tieguy

Banned
Agreed. He is doing a good job, and while many industries are freaking out due to high oil and/or outsourcing, UPS is capitalizing on this, they're innovative. UPS is like bank in the 1950s; she's stable and will always have a place in our economy, even if adjustments are necessary.

I agree the compensation is fair in comparison to others , I don't know if I would say he is doing a good job while our stock is struggling to stay above 70

over9five

Staff member
Does the good job he is doing include the grade 20 and up bonus, while the front line management team gets screwed?

upsdude

What's that old saying?

"You get what you pay for":lol:

hoser

Industrial Slob
At the same time, if the company is increasing profits every year, I believe the workers should see an increase in their wages or salary also.
Companies don't work that way. Especially unionized companies where their relations with employees are bound by a restrictive contract. That's the reality of being at the bottom.

Buy stocks and get a piece of the profit, if you want pay increases whenever the company turns profits.

W

westsideworma

Companies don't work that way. Especially unionized companies where their relations with employees are bound by a restrictive contract. That's the reality of being at the bottom.

Buy stocks and get a piece of the profit, if you want pay increases whenever the company turns profits.

the only thing is our stock is currently dead in the water. I'm sure it'll go somewhere soon, up I hope (especially if FedEx ground unionizes, though Express never will, if they know whats good for them).

I believe one of the UPS contract drafts even included profit sharing as a possible option. However, the teamsters rejected it as the money would go directly to us and not them. That last bit was from someone who worked there a while, whether its true or not I don't know.

W

westsideworma

Does the good job he is doing include the grade 20 and up bonus, while the front line management team gets screwed?

I have to share your opinion. Our management team busts their hinds to get it done, yea sometimes we really want to choke them out, but they get it done. What do they get? 15 hr days (sometimes) and ridiculous goals.

As I said before setting goals gives an operation direction, setting ridiculous goals is just a lesson of diminished returns and lowered morale. UPS is pretty much pushing its people as hard as it can, we're not robots, we can only move so fast, for so long. I would say people are moving as fast as they possibly can, but a la spaceballs UPS: lightspeed is too slow! we need to go right to...ludicrous speed.

Its just sad that all the people who make the gears of this multi-billion dollar company turn everyday (management and hourly alike) get the shaft in the grand scheme of things.

In a company where your best is never good enough, you just breed the "don't give a #$@!" attitude because people know no matter how hard they work, how fast they move and how safe they work...it will never be good enough.

dablues

I think his compensation overall may be okay, but I'm not sure what he did for such a large bonus. Stock isn't moving and based on PCM's volume is not growing. Well, he did sic the lawyers on Cafe

laborer

His total compensation may not be much compared to some other CEO's but at 6.2 million I believe I'll have to work about..........100 yrs before I make that much.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Eskew is in a tough position---leading a company like UPS, that is responsible for 5% of the GNP.We have grown since Eskew has come on board---from a > $20 Billion company to >$40 Billion company. Our profits have been at record levels--yet our stock price remains the same!!

I just received my 401k and UPS Stock Ownership Plan information----and my stock plan has grown .96% in 1 year!!!! I understand the barriers as to the price of stock------Wall Street--Gas prices--upcoming Teamster Contract----but there needs to be a way to reward the current shareholders to give us incentive to hold onto our UPS Shares-------how about increasing the dividend amounts to a significant level-----$1.00 a share----or a one time $5.00 a share for anyone who has held the stock for >5 or 10 years???

over9five

Staff member
I am far from a stock guru, but I thought one reason Wall St doesn't like us is because we pay such large dividends.

They'd rather us re-invest in the company with that money.