Chicago Driver Shot

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What would you expect them to do? The driver was either at or on his way to the hospital. The contents of the pkg car or the pkg car itself were not part of the investigation. UPS did the right thing by calling in someone or having a sup finish the route. They do have a business to run.
While yes they do have a business to run, I think the line about the deliveries was not necessary. We all know UPS will go on with or without us, dead or alive those pkgs got delivered. We wont let a little gunfire stop that.
I think its just one more reason drivers in bad areas, need more protection, or two on a truck in these areas. And the way we are all pushed to be faster, better, I think you may drop your guard. Wonder if he will find a new job if hes OK?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This might be a good enough reason for drivers to start packing?:wink2:

d
Why do we have to be the one's to leave?

Let's hope this person makes a full recovery. It's really amazing, if one thinks about it, that more of us have not been shot during a robbery. We deliver to every part of this counrty. From the rich and famous neigborhood of Bel Air, to this bad part of Chicago. This driver had enough to stress about ,now he gets shot.
Remember, "bad people" are all over, not just in the "bad neighborhoods".

What would you expect them to do? The driver was either at or on his way to the hospital. The contents of the pkg car or the pkg car itself were not part of the investigation. UPS did the right thing by calling in someone or having a sup finish the route. They do have a business to run.
Well, since it's business as usual, I hope they called in a laid off driver or cover driver to finish the route.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Stories like this sadden me so much. Somebody like myself goes to work and doesn't make it home at the end of his day. I hope our driver is doing well and makes a full recovery. Its been a long time since we accepted cash for CODs, I guess these lowlifes didn't know that. Maybe we should have "Driver Carries No Cash" on the sides of our vehicles, like I see with other companies.

I hope both these scumbags get whats coming to them. Why does somebody have to shoot an unarmed man in the back. It would be true justice if they could be "special guests" of a specially called closed door meeting down at a Chicago Local.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The full story is still pretty sketchy at best. This driver is in his young 30s with a couple of young kids at home. A gun was pulled on him and he was told to get into the truck. He attempted to run away and was shot in the back. As of this morning the driver was doing better but still listed in critical condition.

I would like to give Kudos to UPS on the south side, they sent out ods's to all drivers to call home and let their families know they were ok. But they did not tell the drivers why.

I sent in an ods as soon as i heard asking my center if they were going to notify us on what happened, so that we could be more aware of our surroundings in case this was not a freak occurance.

All of the top brass from UPS showed up at the scene in support of this driver even the Metro district manager. Even agents from our local showed up at the scene.

Maybe we should schedule some sort of rally at this intersection in support of this driver and the good families that live there that have to live in fear every day because they cannot afford to move to a nicer neighborhood.

slantnosechevy

I think with all the technology out there that UPS should put a distress button somewhere in the cab out of site yet easy to access. Put another one in the rear in case you're forced into the back of the car.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think with all the technology out there that UPS should put a distress button somewhere in the cab out of site yet easy to access. Put another one in the rear in case you're forced into the back of the car.

I've seen those at Staples.

Not a bad idea ... I guess hooked into the DVA in someway to send a message.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Excellent Idea, one that goes to 911 though, not our center.

ups1990

I wonder if the utility or cover driver on this particular route today will have a sup as a ride along as an extra security measure.

Hopefuly a member here can post where one might be able to send this Teamster brother a correspondence.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wonder if the utility or cover driver on this particular route today will have a sup as a ride along as an extra security measure.

Hopefuly a member here can post where one might be able to send this Teamster brother a correspondence.
Yeah, they'll send a sup out for a few days, and then back to normal. Like that makes you so much safer. What a joke. UPS drivers have been pretty lucky so far. Its not just the cash, when those lowlifes see you lugging big screen Tvs up to front doors, it makes them start thinking. Hmm, easy prey. Wonder what else is in there?. Thats why I tell all the kids that my back up camera is a real camera and it videos me and anyone around my truck....all day longggggggggggggg. Hopefully the message gets around.
I wish this driver and his family well. I hope he is not too traumitized, and can go on and enjoy his life. And yes an address would be nice.

rod

Retired 22 years
And that means?

If you were asking about my remark the only thing I meant was that the last time I was in Chicago all the news seemed to cover was actual killings- not shooting insidents. We all hope for a speedy recovery for the driver. The remark about it being impossible because guns are banned in Chicago hits the nail on the head.

shrimpfire

shrimpfire
No matter what happens to us their will be a body running your route tomorrow, the packages must go on. I sure hope the driver makes a full @ swift recovery

UPS Lifer

The full story is still pretty sketchy at best. This driver is in his young 30s with a couple of young kids at home. A gun was pulled on him and he was told to get into the truck. He attempted to run away and was shot in the back. As of this morning the driver was doing better but still listed in critical condition.

I would like to give Kudos to UPS on the south side, they sent out ods's to all drivers to call home and let their families know they were ok. But they did not tell the drivers why.

I sent in an ods as soon as i heard asking my center if they were going to notify us on what happened, so that we could be more aware of our surroundings in case this was not a freak occurance.

All of the top brass from UPS showed up at the scene in support of this driver even the Metro district manager. Even agents from our local showed up at the scene.

Maybe we should schedule some sort of rally at this intersection in support of this driver and the good families that live there that have to live in fear every day because they cannot afford to move to a nicer neighborhood.

Thanks for sharing an inside perspective on this. It is nice to see that all are pulling together and showing support.

If you were asking about my remark the only thing I meant was that the last time I was in Chicago all the news seemed to cover was actual killings- not shooting insidents. We all hope for a speedy recovery for the driver. The remark about it being impossible because guns are banned in Chicago hits the nail on the head.

Hey it`s not just shootings and killings,we`ll friend with you even after your dead.

Watch your Ps and Qs the next time you come for a visit.