China "Dog Meat" Festival Begins

BrownArmy

Damn straight.
No joke, this could be a game changer I have high hopes for cultured meat and what it might mean for our food infrastructure. People eat so much fake food as it is what's the difference.

Now if they can come up with dog flavored synthetic meat we can close this thread down!

YES

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Damn straight.
No joke, this could be a game changer I have high hopes for cultured meat and what it might mean for our food infrastructure. People eat so much fake food as it is what's the difference.

Now if they can come up with dog flavored synthetic meat we can close this thread down!
Lol. I'll pass. THAT might drive me to vegetarianism.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Lol. I'll pass. THAT might drive me to vegetarianism.
It just might, seriously.
On a large scale, lab created meat would end up being way cheaper, which would drive up the cost of real meat.... people like Trump might be the only ones who could even afford real steak, and that nutjob has it cooked well done and eats it with ketchup.....
What is the world coming to!

BrownArmy

It's people! Soylent Green is people!!

Lulz, except it won't be people, it will be genetically identical lab-grown versions of pork, chicken, and beef. Maybe fish, too.

Aside from anyone's idea of whether meat is ethical to eat, the current system we have devotes a RIDICULOUS amount of resources, especially water, to produce a standard protein.

It's not sustainable.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Lulz, except it won't be people, it will be genetically identical lab-grown versions of pork, chicken, and beef. Maybe fish, too.

Aside from anyone's idea of whether meat is ethical to eat, the current system we have devotes a RIDICULOUS amount or resources, especially water, to produce a standard protein.

It's not sustainable.
I don't even like the fake crabmeat. Can't imagine eating lab-grown meats.

BrownArmy

I don't even like the fake crabmeat. Can't imagine eating lab-grown meats.

Fake crab-meat is just white fish re-purposed with strategically placed red dye #5.

This won't be 'fake' anything.

It will be the real thing.

What else will our citizens eat on the 'Generation' ships we'll need to launch into the stars before our planet dies?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Fake crab-meat is just white fish re-purposed with strategically placed red dye #5.

This won't be 'fake' anything.

It will be the real thing.

What else will our citizens eat on the 'Generation' ships we'll need to launch into the stars before our planet dies?
Thank God I won't be around to find out. Lol.

BrownArmy

Thank God I won't be around to find out. Lol.

And this is why we don't have appropriate policy.

I'm not being pejorative to you personally, but that same sentiment is what drives our politicians, who only think about the next election, etc., and it runs all the way down to decisions that we all make, mostly short-sighted.

The Iroquois had it right:

"In all of your deliberations in the Confederate Council, in your efforts at law making, in all your official acts, self-interest shall be cast into oblivion. Cast not over your shoulder behind you the warnings of the nephews and nieces should they chide you for any error or wrong you may do, but return to the way of the Great Law which is just and right. Look and listen for the welfare of the whole people and have always in view not only the past and present but also the coming generations, even those whose faces are yet beneath the surface of the ground – the unborn of the future Nation."

vantexan

And this is why we don't have appropriate policy.

I'm not being pejorative to you personally, but that same sentiment is what drives our politicians, who only think about the next election, etc., and it runs all the way down to decisions that we all make, mostly short-sighted.

The Iroquois had it right:

"In all of your deliberations in the Confederate Council, in your efforts at law making, in all your official acts, self-interest shall be cast into oblivion. Cast not over your shoulder behind you the warnings of the nephews and nieces should they chide you for any error or wrong you may do, but return to the way of the Great Law which is just and right. Look and listen for the welfare of the whole people and have always in view not only the past and present but also the coming generations, even those whose faces are yet beneath the surface of the ground – the unborn of the future Nation."
The Iroquois were meat eaters. You can't get away from the fact in nature many animals survive by eating other animals. Which is more terrifying to a cow, surrounded by a pack of wolves that descend upon it, ripping it to shreds, or a device placed to it's forehead, sending a bullet quickly into it's brain, killing it immediately. Once it's gone, it's gone. Better than a buffalo fleeing for it's life from horse mounted hunters shooting arrows into it. Or before they had horses driving a herd over a cliff. The fact is if we didn't eat them we'd have to slaughter them all anyways. Leaving large herds unchecked would turn grasslands to desert, would produce much more methane than now, tie up roadways, etc. I think next time I spring for a ribeye I'll have a good laugh thinking about this.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The Iroquois were meat eaters. You can't get away from the fact in nature many animals survive by eating other animals. Which is more terrifying to a cow, surrounded by a pack of wolves that descend upon it, ripping it to shreds, or a device placed to it's forehead, sending a bullet quickly into it's brain, killing it immediately. Once it's gone, it's gone. Better than a buffalo fleeing for it's life from horse mounted hunters shooting arrows into it. Or before they had horses driving a herd over a cliff. The fact is if we didn't eat them we'd have to slaughter them all anyways. Leaving large herds unchecked would turn grasslands to desert, would produce much more methane than now, tie up roadways, etc. I think next time I spring for a ribeye I'll have a good laugh thinking about this.
lmao. stick to your day job.

BrownArmy

I wasn't talking about meat, TTKU.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The fact is if we didn't eat them we'd have to slaughter them all anyways. Leaving large herds unchecked would turn grasslands to desert, would produce much more methane than now, tie up roadways, etc. I think next time I spring for a ribeye I'll have a good laugh thinking about this.
You can't seriously be this stupid lmao.
We breed these animals for food genius. If we only killed the ones that became invasive on human populations you wouldn't be able to afford the meat.

vantexan

I wasn't talking about meat, TTKU.
No you were talking about how the noble Iroquois did everything better than we did. The same Iroquois that conducted war far and wide against their enemies, who aligned themselves with the British. Where are they now? The world moved forward, always does. We may very well have the artificial meat you mentioned someday. We don't now, and humans are omnivores. I'll continue to enjoy eating meat thank you very much.