Christians ?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The ones that say they are and act differently.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. My understanding is that all religious beliefs are based on faith. I realize that not all christians are the same, but aren't their beliefs all faith based, even though there may be some differences in those beliefs? We do have some evangelical/fundamentalist posters here, but you might want to try posting this in the "life after brown" forum, you're more likely to get a response there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are there any faith based Christians out there ?

Is there any other kind?

bjg is exactly right. There are people who call themselves Christians who wouldn't know a true Christian if they were standing beside them. Calling oneself a Christian is the easy part. Living life as a true Christian can be one of the toughest things a person can do, especially in today's world.

browndevil

Are there any faith based Christians out there ?[/quote
My definition of a Christian is one who follows the life of Jesus Christ. So basically someone who has read the New Testament and trys to mirror their life as Christ.
I am not a big fan of organized religon and think its roots are set in controlling man. But I do RESPECT everyones right to follow their personal beliefs.
This should be a good thread. I am just going to live my life as a "do unto to others" approach. It has worked for me thus far.
Peace and Cheers everyone:happy2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
bjg is exactly right. There are people who call themselves Christians who wouldn't know a true Christian if they were standing beside them. Calling oneself a Christian is the easy part. Living life as a true Christian can be one of the toughest things a person can do, especially in today's world.
A christian is anyone who purports to follow the teachings of christ. There are many different sects of christianity, and just as many ways of defining who is a "true christian". Mormons obviously have a different definition than quakers, or the amish. Living life, especially in this country, is as easy or as hard as you choose to make it (barring circumstances beyond your control), whether you're a christian or not.

tourists24

Ok I guess I'll bite on this one. Christianity isnt just reading the bible, saying you believe and really not, or going to church just to look the part. Christianity is when you ask Jesus to enter your heart and take over. That you believe he died on the cross for the sins of the world. It is more of an internal thing and if you are truly born again, you know it. Jones is right; it is all faith based.

What many call living a hypocritical life I call simply being human. No one will ever be able to live the perfect life no matter how much you wish to. I guess that may be what you mean by "say they are and act differently". Christians mess up just like everyone else. You do the best you can do.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"The ones that say they are and act differently."

BJG,
Those would be "jack" like Jack Mormons. They are raised a certain religion, but don't really practice it.....you know, they're normal.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In Catholic High School, senior year Religion class, we studied all the differences in the different religions. Some are just an article of faith away from the Catholic church teachings. Very Interesting!

C'mon, y'all know that only Catholics go to heaven and all y'all are hellbound !! Nuns, you gotta love 'em. :wink2:

browndevil

In Catholic High School, senior year Religion class, we studied all the differences in the different religions. Some are just an article of faith away from the Catholic church teachings. Very Interesting!

C'mon, y'all know that only Catholics go to heaven and all y'all are hellbound !! Nuns, you gotta love 'em. :wink2:
That's right More you and me in heaven! Score one for Catholics:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

tourists24

sounds like someone got a few smacks on the hand with a ruler...lol

UPSNewbie

I know a lot of "hardcore" christians that are THE MOST judgmental people in this world. Then there are some who talk about being christian nonstop who then act in a completely different way.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not a big fan of organized religion either but if I was to choose one I would probably become Catholic because I need the exercise. That and the fact that you can do anything you want to all week long as long as you go church on Sunday and ask to be forgivin. At least that is what my hard drinking, womanizing, tax cheating, dope smoking Catholic friends claim anyway.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Christianity is when you ask Jesus to enter your heart and take over.

That you believe he died on the cross for the sins of the world.

It is more of an internal thing and if you are truly born again, you know it.

Jones is right; it is all faith based.

These definitions are ones I grew up with and am comfortable with. Christian sects that have these as core beliefs are derivatives of the Catholic (Orthodox) religion as established in the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD.
However, there are other Christians whose Christianity is not derived from the Nicaean codes.