Claims Help

QE3

Ok i shipped a package ,insured it and with signature required, it went out for delivery, but that's as far as it got, i waited 3 more days and called the company everyday to see if it showed up. It never made it so i called UPS they ran a trace on it and couldnt find it .i was sent the claim form, filled it out sent copies of the shippers receipt and CC bill showing what i paid for the merchandise, UPS was good about calling me up until the time i sent all the paperwork to claims, now they wont return my calls, when i call i get the same canned answer that the paperwork is still under review but thats been a week now, so my question is how long will it take before they take actoin on the claim .FYI the claim is for $16k:angry-very2:

rod

Retired 22 years
insured for $16,000 -----it will be awhile. UPS don't pay $16,000 claims at the drop of a hat. Be patient and keep all your paperwork safe. I really hope you made copies of it before you turned it over

sweetpea

i use to work in the damage dept-if you did not insure the pkg you will only get 100.00-if it is insured they are probably checking the warehouse where UPS keeps unclaimed merchandise (unable to find shipper because label fell off or etc). when you call to check on your claim, ask for a supervisor, be poliet but keep on insisting that you want a supervisor or manager-everytime you call it should be documented in the system that you called-with the 800# you never talk with the same person, so make sure you get the supervisor, get their name and what time you called-we usually told the shipper to give us 2 weeks to try and locate the package

QE3

Yes, i have copies of everything that i sent them:smart: i figure it will be about 45 days before i see any kind of a check from them

drewed

Shankman
It could be a month or so 16k is a lot to pay out, UPS has to investigate and try to find it in over goods (lost items no lables type stuff) and then our insurer will want to investigate a claim that large

QE3

Ok well according to the claims Dept, UPS security is investigating it now Not sure how long that will take, I hope they will at least call me to let me know what they find out, So after the UPS security is their another investigator for the INS company or is it all the same People:knockedout:

upsgrunt

Ups is self-insured; There should be just one investigation, but as stated before, when it involves that kind of money, it will be very thorough. Not to be nosy, but what was it?

barnyard

KTM rider
At some point, UPS should have told you that even if they do admit that we lost it, it will be 30 days before a check will be cut.

I hope this is something that can be replaced.

TB

QE3

At some point, UPS should have told you that even if they do admit that we lost it, it will be 30 days before a check will be cut.

I hope this is something that can be replaced.

TB

Well, it can but i will have to wait until i get the check, even then it will cost me more i found mine on craigs list:sick:

drewed

Shankman
I though it came up in a diffferent claims discussion that UPS was self insured to like 2k but after that it went to another party?

I though it came up in a diffferent claims discussion that UPS was self insured to like 2k but after that it went to another party?
You may be correct, but I think all claims are still cleared through the insurance company before being paid.

drewed

Shankman
Claims also pays the replacement value and not the actual value of the insurance taken out on the package.
That sounds like a bit of a stretch to me, if he only paid for 16k of insurance he should only get 16k for the item, Im not sure about the replacement cost, if it was a court of law hed get replacement cost but since he contracted for the insurance i think hed only get the amount he paid which SHOULD equal the amont he insured to

That sounds like a bit of a stretch to me, if he only paid for 16k of insurance he should only get 16k for the item, Im not sure about the replacement cost, if it was a court of law hed get replacement cost but since he contracted for the insurance i think hed only get the amount he paid which SHOULD equal the amont he insured to
This is correct if the actually replacement cost is higher than the insured amount. If the replacement cost is less than the insured amount, that's all they will pay.

wisedragonfly

Sorry for the confusion...
It's been a few years since I've been exposed to claims. However, I would imagine the basic declared value rules still apply.

I have no idea what the lost package that was declared for 16k, contained, that was mentioned in the original post. To clear up the confusion I'll give you an example, as if I shipped a package and declared the valued at 16k.

The content of my package is a hardback cookbook that was purchased for $250, 5 years ago. If I had to replace the cookbook today, I would pay $300 for the same book at my local book store. So, $300 is the replacement cost of the cookbook. When I shipped the package I declare value at 16k because I wanted to make sure the package was delivered, not knowing any better because I'm a customer and it just sounds safer. During the claims process, even though I declared value at 16k, UPS will pay the replacement cost of the cookbook which is $300, plus shipping charges.

In the customer's situation, if the replacement cost of their package was 16k, then of course UPS will honor the claim for that amount.

I think the normal claim process is 4-6 weeks. Claims will begin a re-trace on the package, including a driver follow up, if needed, and will include checking overgoods in case the label fell off the package. If it's high value, lost prevention could get involved. UPS does not just pay off high value claims without an investigation.

drewed

Shankman

In the customer's situation, if the replacement cost of their package was 16k, then of course UPS will honor the claim for that amount.

I think the normal claim process is 4-6 weeks. Claims will begin a re-trace on the package, including a driver follow up, if needed, and will include checking overgoods in case the label fell off the package. If it's high value, lost prevention could get involved. UPS does not just pay off high value claims without an investigation.

He said it cost him 16k, he said it would cost him MORE then that to replace, he insured it for 16k (the cost he paid for it, the price he can prove) thats all he gets.

wisedragonfly

He said it cost him 16k, he said it would cost him MORE then that to replace, he insured it for 16k (the cost he paid for it, the price he can prove) thats all he gets.

Yes, you are correct, drewed. If the replacement cost is more than 16k, then they would only get 16k for the merchandise.

rod

Retired 22 years
I could be wrong (usually am) but if it is an antique --- then there could be a p-----g match over what it really is worth. Strange things happen when your dealing with the Brown Machine.

QE3

:angry-very2: Well i got off the phone with Claims they told me that UPS security told them to not pay the claim with no further explanation, she was able to get me a Phone# for Security i called it nobody answered i left a message and no one has returned my calls Looks like UPS just Screwed me out the cost of my camera:furious: and now im left with a CC bill and nothing to show for it