climate catastrophe

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yeah, too bad about the eco terrorists preventing proper forest management.
Screenshot_20210225-121710_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210225-121732_Chrome.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
so forest management has really gone downhill last 5 years or what?

Nope, 50-60 years. About enough time for way too much fuel to build up in forests due to not enough controlled burns or thinning. When you have too many trees and plants competing for the same amount of water, and you factor in drought cycles that have been happening for millions of years, things get a little dry. Perfect storm.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes apparently you're related to a psychopath eco terrorist who purposefully spread invasive non native species of trees across the country.....

It's my claim to fame. :lol:

Maybe I'll follow his example.

Hey, what about all the people with non-native grass species in their lawns that use up all the disappearing fresh water to maintain? Those are the real terrorists.

rickyb

It's my claim to fame. :lol:

Maybe I'll follow his example.

Hey, what about all the people with non-native grass species in their lawns that use up all the disappearing fresh water to maintain? Those are the real terrorists.
if you think watering the lawn is bad, wait till you hear about animal agriculture and water usage

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
as the economy devolves into a feudal type system, how much bitcoin can you expect the average joe to afford?

i agree the dollar is backed by one of the biggest causes of pollution in the world - the empire
It’s divisible to many decimal places so it doesn’t really matter what the average joe can afford and it’s deflationary.

Plus not sure it’ll be bitcoin specifically but a deflationary currency is needed

rickyb

It’s divisible to many decimal places so it doesn’t really matter what the average joe can afford and it’s deflationary.

Plus not sure it’ll be bitcoin specifically but a deflationary currency is needed
the thing that will save us is if ppl put action into demanding it, and stopping the things that will wipe us out.

digital currency could be a piece of the puzzle but i dont think it alone will do the trick.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
animal agriculture is most unnatural

Really? Humans are natural parts of the ecosystem. Our ability to organize things and use tools is natural. "Natural" is just another word that has been misused so much that it doesn't mean much anymore. Why are some animals able to be domesticated and not others? Why do we ride horses but not zebras?

Anyway, I was introduced to the idea of the problem of "overpopulation" when we learned about exponential growth and doubling periods. The example given was bacteria growing in a bottle. Assuming the bacteria grew at such a rate that their doubling period was one day, the bacteria would soon fill the bottle. But eliminating half the bacteria wouldn't do much, because they would fill the bottle again the next day. Adding another bottle wouldn't do much, because it would be filled the next day and you would need two more bottles the next day, and so on.

This frightened me because the implication is that is what's happening with human population. Then, I came to realize, while that was a good example for explaining doubling periods, it really had no connection to how bacteria actually live. If you had a bottle with bacteria, left to its own devices, they would starve, dehydrate, or drown in their own waste before they could ever fill the bottle. That's still a very extreme example that doesn't directly translate to the human population growth issues, and it's many, multifaceted factors. The assumption behind your world views is that intelligence is unnatural, meaning bad. That makes zero sense, because humans are nature.

rickyb

Really? Humans are natural parts of the ecosystem. Our ability to organize things and use tools is natural. "Natural" is just another word that has been misused so much that it doesn't mean much anymore. Why are some animals able to be domesticated and not others? Why do we ride horses but not zebras?

Anyway, I was introduced to the idea of the problem of "overpopulation" when we learned about exponential growth and doubling periods. The example given was bacteria growing in a bottle. Assuming the bacteria grew at such a rate that their doubling period was one day, the bacteria would soon fill the bottle. But eliminating half the bacteria wouldn't do much, because they would fill the bottle again the next day. Adding another bottle wouldn't do much, because it would be filled the next day and you would need two more bottles the next day, and so on.

This frightened me because the implication is that is what's happening with human population. Then, I came to realize, while that was a good example for explaining doubling periods, it really had no connection to how bacteria actually live. If you had a bottle with bacteria, left to its own devices, they would starve, dehydrate, or drown in their own waste before they could ever fill the bottle. That's still a very extreme example that doesn't directly translate to the human population growth issues, and it's many, multifaceted factors. The assumption behind your world views is that intelligence is unnatural, meaning bad. That makes zero sense, because humans are nature.
someone theorized a few years ago that so called intelligent species are most likely to go extinct which explains why we havent found intelligent life.

smith compared humans to a virus, not sure if its true. we are committing gaiacide now.

what you said about bacteria is what coronavirus does.

im not sure about those other things you said.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
someone theorized a few years ago that so called intelligent species are most likely to go extinct which explains why we havent found intelligent life.

smith compared humans to a virus, not sure if its true. we are committing gaiacide now.

what you said about bacteria is what coronavirus does.

im not sure about those other things you said.

Then we'll take care of ourselves naturally. No need to make up baloney to rush it along.