COLA is a 33 cent adjustment to top scale

I’m going to walk through the contract and math so that we’re all able to be on the same page.

The following two paragraphs are the determining factors for the cost of living adjustment (COLA):
Summarizing Article 33, paragraphs 2, 3, and 4
‘COLA is based on CPI-W, published by the BLS.
COLA is calculated based on the difference between the index from May of the previous year to May of the current year.
For every 0.2 point increase IN THE INDEX above the previous index plus 3%, there is a 1 cent raise in the top scale.’

Historical CPI-W shows that May of 2020, the index was at 249.521.
The second to last paragraph on page 4 of the CPI news release for May, 2021 says
“The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) increased 5.6 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 263.612 (1982-84=100). For the month, the index rose 0.9 percent prior to seasonal adjustment.

So in order to calculate COLA you take the previous index (CPI20), multiply it by 1.03 to get your baseline 3% increase (referred to as 3%base), find the difference between the current CPI-W (CPI21) and the adjusted 3% increase (3%base), and multiply by 5 because each 0.2 points is one cent so each 1 point is therefore 5 cents. The formula is shown below:
3%base = CPI20 x 1.03
Raise = (CPI21 - 3%base) x 5

Factoring in our numbers:
3%base = 249.521 x 1.03 = 257.007
Raise = (263.612 - 257.007) x 5 = (6.605) x 5 = 33.025

That means that prior to the Union taking their cut, top scale will increase 33 cents. This will probably be at least a 25 cent increase.

As a side note, this post is not making any political judgments or determinations about the causes of inflation nor is it making a stance about the cut that the Union receives; this is simply an attempt to explain the contract and make an exorbitant amount of unnecessary college math courses useful to me.

I’m not sure if this site allows edits, but if it does I will correct the post if anyone points out any mistakes I made.

cachmeifucan

Let me be the first to say thank you. I have a question are those numbers regional like maybe inflation is higher in California vs Iowa. Thanks thats good info. I think its.90 raise plus a extra .25 Cola.

Let me be the first to say thank you. I have a question are those numbers regional like maybe inflation is higher in California vs Iowa. Thanks thats good info. I think its.90 raise plus a extra .25 Cola.
You’re welcome! To address your last part, yes it’ll be the 90 cent regular raise with the 25ish cent COLA raise on top (and next year, it’s the $1.00 raise on top). To address your question about regional raises, I believe it would depend on the regional and local supplements in your contract. I didn’t see any language specifying regional COLA in the national. Good question!

charm299

I’m going to walk through the contract and math so that we’re all able to be on the same page.

The following two paragraphs are the determining factors for the cost of living adjustment (COLA):
COLA is calculated based on the difference between the index from May of the previous year to May of the current year.
For every 0.2 point increase IN THE INDEX above the previous index plus 3%, there is a 1 cent raise in the top scale.’

The second to last paragraph on page 4 of the CPI news release for May, 2021 says
“The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) increased 5.6 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 263.612 (1982-84=100). For the month, the index rose 0.9 percent prior to seasonal adjustment.

So in order to calculate COLA you take the previous index (CPI20), multiply it by 1.03 to get your baseline 3% increase (referred to as 3%base), find the difference between the current CPI-W (CPI21) and the adjusted 3% increase (3%base), and multiply by 5 because each 0.2 points is one cent so each 1 point is therefore 5 cents. The formula is shown below:
3%base = CPI20 x 1.03

That means that prior to the Union taking their cut, top scale will increase 33 cents. This will probably be at least a 25 cent increase.

As a side note, this post is not making any political judgments or determinations about the causes of inflation nor is it making a stance about the cut that the Union receives; this is simply an attempt to explain the contract and make an exorbitant amount of unnecessary college math courses useful to me.

I’m not sure if this site allows edits, but if it does I will correct the post if anyone points out any mistakes I made.
Will I get it if I’m still in progression?

Pickles

8BB40E71-CE52-4264-AFCC-1EC0861EDB5D.jpeg

Has that been tested through the grievance procedure? You are probably right, seems like a COLA would be applied to every member, progression or not.
It is explicitly in the contract that progression employees don’t get it on their progression pay but only on their top scale once they reach that point. Article 33, paragraph 2, I believe.

Whereistheunion

3%base = CPI20 x 1.03

I trust the math, and I believe in science. If what you say is true we would receive the cola adjustment on August 1.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It is explicitly in the contract that progression employees don’t get it on their progression pay but only on their top scale once they reach that point. Article 33, paragraph 2, I believe.

Yep.

ARTICLE 33. COST-OF-LIVING (COLA)

"All seniority employees who have completed their appropriate wage progression schedule shall be covered by the provisions of a cost-of-living allowance, as set forth in this Agreement.

Employees who have not completed their appropriate wage progression on the effective date of a COLA increase, shall receive the adjustment on a prospective basis on the date they complete their wage progression schedules."

What'dyabringmetoday???

Yep.

"All seniority employees who have completed their appropriate wage progression schedule shall be covered by the provisions of a cost-of-living allowance, as set forth in this Agreement.

Employees who have not completed their appropriate wage progression on the effective date of a COLA increase, shall receive the adjustment on a prospective basis on the date they complete their wage progression schedules."

Thanks Big UPS Man....

What'dyabringmetoday???

Yep.

Kinda what your buddy's flier says? Lol.

vvv

3%base = CPI20 x 1.03

It's all very solid info and much appreciated.

I however just can't bring myself to take anymore money than I already do, and don't deserve from UPS.

Therefore I will donate my COLA raise to BLM, and a couple other groups that I know have the best interest of our nation in their heart.

AMEN!!

boxerdan

Since they got rid of the skilled pay "progression" does this mean all part-timers who've achieved seniority get the COLA?

I'm guessing no because that would benefit part-timers.

I'm part time package handler and I didn't get the gwi raise or the cola. I just looked at my latest pay check which starts from Aug 1 and ends Aug 7.