Come back after injury to unwanted job change

littlelady

I had an injury that put me out of work for five months. When I got back they let the person covering the job I was doing keep it, and made me go back to my previous type of work. This change was unwanted and less hours for me. I have seniority over this other employee. They say because we are all classified as the same type of employee "job title" that they can move us to whichever work area they want..I know they can do that but shouldn't I be able to get the same amount, if not more hours a week due to my seniority. I have taken a signifigant pay cut and after gas to get there I am now making less than I did on temp. disability. It paid more for me to stay home. To make it worse they don't have enough hours to give us per night so we aren't getting our guaranteed 3 1/2 hours the cut us down to three! ( Also I am not a teamster I am in the machinist union.) I need as much informed advice as I can get. I don't want to make waves or cause a layoff ect. however I have a family that I help support and I feel like in some way I am being punished for something I had no control over.

UPSGUY72

Grieve it, you'll win. Seniority rules.

It sounds like the building doesn't have preferred jobs there are just PT's that don't bid on job placement they are assigned a location to work. If that is the case she isn't going to win she could file on her guaranteed 3 1/2 or if they send her home before lower seniority people.

over9five

Staff member
It sounds like the building doesn't have preferred jobs there are just PT's that don't bid on job placement they are assigned a location to work. If that is the case she isn't going to win she could file on her guaranteed 3 1/2 or if they send her home before lower seniority people.
She might not win on the position, but she'll win on the less seniority person getting more time on the clock. Especially, since that was her job. I think she'll get it back. Seems like she is being punished for being out of work. That doesn't fly.

UPSGUY72

She might not win on the position, but she'll win on the less seniority person getting more time on the clock. Especially, since that was her job. I think she'll get it back. Seems like she is being punished for being out of work. That doesn't fly.

That is what I was saying she would win on more time but not on the position. However, if she wins the grievance on time she might find herself in another position getting more time but still not the position she was in before...

over9five

Staff member
That is what I was saying she would win on more time but not on the position. However, if she wins the grievance on time she might find herself in another position getting more time but still not the position she was in before...
Agreed. Hope she does grieve it, and let us know what happens.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was sent back to loading 4-5 trucks at the head of the belt without a splitter (straight line belt) after having a disc removed from my neck and having c4-c5 fused. I was the am clerk.

Gee, can't figure out why my neck didn't heal correctly, hence I had to have a much more extensive fuse done. From the posterior, which is so much more painful and intricate. c4-c7 fused and 5 inches of metal screwed to my spine with about 15 titanium drywall screws.